• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Romania vs United States of America (17/11/18)

amz

Bench Player
Country Flag
Romania
Club or Nation
Romania
daFCYgK.png

5SovqEQ.png
j7lEIMe.png
ceFzZ4Z.jpg

Venue: Ghencea 2
Time:
14:00 EET local
07:00 EST US Washington DC
12:00 GMT
official stream: www.rugbytv.ro

Last edited:
Eagles squad to play Romania:

1. ***i Lamositele - Saracens (ENG) 24
2. Joe Taufete'e - Worcester Warriors (ENG) 17
3. Paul Mullen - Unattached 4
4. Greg Peterson - Glasgow Warriors (SCO) 18
5. Nick Civetta - Doncaster Knights (ENG) 16
6. John Quil - Glendale Raptors 28
7. Tony Lamborn - Rugby Southland (NZL) 17
8. Cam Dolan - NOLA Gold 38
9. Ruben de Haas - Free State Cheetahs (RSA) 5
10. Will Hooley - Bedford Blues (ENG) 5
11. Ryan Matyas - San Diego Legion 11
12. Paul Lasike - Harlequins (ENG) 7
13. Bryce Campbell - London Irish (ENG) 19
14. Blaine Scully - Cardiff Blues (WAL) 41
15. Marcel Brache - Perth/Western Force (AUS)

Subs:
16. Dylan Fawsitt - Old Blue New York / Rugby United New York 5
17. David Ainuu - Toulouse Rugby (FRA) 1
18. Dino Waldren - London Scottish (ENG) 13
19. David Tameilau - Glasgow Warriors (SCO) 10
20. Hanco Germishuys - unattached 9
21. Nick Boyer* - San Diego Legion 0
22. Will Magie - Glendale Raptors 17
23. Gannon Moore - North Harbour Rugby (NZL) 1

*debut

https://www.usarugby.org/2018/11/mens-eagles-name-match-day-23-for-test-with-romania/

Last edited:
Stejarii team:

1. Badiu (Roval Drome, France) - 29 yo
2. Radoi (Timisoara Sarcens) - 30 yo
3. Gordas (CSM Bucuresti) - 24 yo
4. Motoc (Agen, France) - 22 yo - the youngest Oaks captain ever
5. Drenceanu (Timisoara Saracens) - 28 yo
6. Ion (CSM Bucuresti) - 32 yo
7. Van Heerden (Perpignan) - 31 yo
8. Chirica CSM Stiinta Baia Mare) - 22 yo
9. Surugiu (CSA Steaua) - 34 yo
10. Plai (CSA Steaua) - 24 yo **
11. Dumitru (CSA Steaua) - 26 yo
12. Fonovai (CSM Bucuresti) - 29 yo
13. Fercu (Timisoara Saracens) - 32 yo
14. Zaharia (Timisoara Saracens) - 23 yo **
15. Melinte (CSA Steaua) - 22 yo **

subs:
16. Savin* (CSM Bucuresti) - 23 yo
17. Capatana (Timisoara Saracens) - 32 yo
18. Pristavita (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare) - 25 yo
19. Iftimiciuc* (Timisoara Saracens) - 21 yo
20. Ilisescu (Blagnac, France) - 24 yo
21. Calafeteanu (CSM Bucuresti) - 33 yo
22. Boldor* (CSA Steaua) - 21 yo
23. Popa (Timisoara Saracens) - 23 yo

* debut
** debut last week vs Portugal in qualifier

The Pershing Cup is awarded to the winner of all Romania-USA matches from now on outside of Rugby World Cups.

The Pershing Cup is named in honour of US Army General John Pershing, the organiser of the Inter-Allied Games in Paris in 1919 which featured the first-ever international between USA and Romania.

zeRVDjM.jpg

I watched an interview with Gary Gold on Rugby Wrap Up - he seems a nice guy but said Romania is an "unfriendly place". I think he meant the crowd will be partisan and hostile, but I think diplomacy lessons may be required for him!

I didn't realise so many of the Eagles were young last week. Their starting scrum half in both games is 19. Gold appeared to identify Fonovai as the biggest threat for the Oaks.

Hooray for Romanian timezone, a nice 1200hrs kick off to ease me into the days fixtures.

If Plai pulls off one of his cross kicks I might lose my cool. I can't think the last time I've rooted for one player so hard. From struggling in impossible positions at Poli Iasi, to the club effectively exiting Superliga due to finances, to being capped in a big fixture. I was sure he'd disappear into obscurity and never get a chance.

Plai lost two years of his development due to his ex club issues and when the things started to go well he was heavily injured. But he's back and hopefully he can adapt to the next level. He should have make his debut in November 2017 but he was injured just before the first match and didn't played until August 2018.

Yes, Fonovai have a pretty interesting role in this XV, let's see if it works. I have no idea what was Gold thinking tbh, Eagles were always well received here.

The first half turned really messy. US lead 12-5.

Romanian indiscipline and lineout costing them this match. I don't think either side will be happy with their execution so far, both 10s being very ordinary.

The positive for Romania is that their young backline is doing well considering their inexperience. Their pack is also manning up quite well despite missing a lot of French based players.

That is as bad a lineout performance as I've seen over 80mins. The replacement hooker was worse than the starter. Must have been at least 10 lost lineouts by Romania in that match. You've no chance with that.

US win ugly again to keep their streak going, but I can't see them doing anything against a reserve Ireland sadly.

USA move up to #13 in the world - An all-time high and above Italy.

The gap widens to over 5 points between #15 [Georgia, 72.59] and #16 [Samoa, 67.39].

A big margin for US which will probably hurt young Oaks morale a bit. Still, there are positive facts for Romania like they way the duel of tactical kickers when we got the territory, defense and tackles and the fact that a bigger US side did not dominated a green Oaks pack.

The negative facts were the lineout (we lost like 13!!) , the choices players made when we were close to US try line and we didn't get any points and some easy penalties given away.

The weather was really bad, it was very cold and windy and it come suddenly, I couldn't feel my toes at half time.

Kudos to Lambron, despite the heavy injury he saluted the small crowd and had the power to smile.

Have the USA currently got the longest test winning streak in the world (9)?

I didn't think the USA played well but they got the job done which is good to see. Romania are preparing for RWC 2023 which is excellent, I think they'll be strong for that and they may be weaker in the immediate short term but they'll be all the stronger for their depth building and the experience that they're giving to their youngsters at such a young age. USA have a good mix of youth and experience in their side too. I have been impressed by Ruben de Haas at scrum half, only 19 so I can see him having a good future. Also Ainuu, 18 year old prop is rising through the ranks and is a regular on the bench for Toulouse! Does anyone know if Hanco Germushuys has any contract offers from MLR sides or even from Europe? The lad is 21, had an excellent season with Austin Elite and is currently unattached. The only thing I can think of is that he's rejected offers from the USA to wait for offers from Europe.

What is annoying is that we dodged some easy tries in the second half when their morale seem that took a hit.

Usually first halves went well in all the matches from this November but second half was not that good. Possible the game plan is more demanding or the subs are not up to the task.

Latest posts