• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Scotland vs South Africa (17/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

I2IwG7n.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: BT Murrayfield
Time: 19:20 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I do think the Boks are playing more coherently despite mixed results. The Scottish pack is improving but can still be bullied. They need Berghan to start up front and could have done with Zander Fagerson. Add in Horne or Price at 9 and no Horne at 12 and I'll be picking Scotland. But I doubt the selection will go that way.

Scotland call up Gary Graham, guess they decided to nab him before we did :D

I wonder if Scotland might have some sort of negative effect after their massive win over Fiji this past weekend. It's happened so often that a team wins big the one weekend, and then the next weekend play poorly.

I think the big question will be whether Rassie will be making some changes? Some guys are running on empty and I think this could be the ideal game to give some fringe players a go. Faf is already unavailable for this game, and it seems like Whiteley is out injured, so we could see Vermeulen at 8, Flouw at 6, and Papier or van Zyl at 9.

My original thinking on this game is that it could be SA's 18/19 Japan game, where we are absolutely stunned with a loss.....then I started to think that it would not be THAT big a shock if they(Scotland) DO win? Seemed as if their form is of a higher standard this season?

Am I still drunk from last night or does this make sense?

My original thinking on this game is that it could be SA's 18/19 Japan game, where we are absolutely stunned with a loss.....then I started to think that it would not be THAT big a shock if they(Scotland) DO win? Seemed as if their form is of a higher standard this season?

Am I still drunk from last night or does this make sense?

don't want to bring this up really but Scotland were actually above the Springboks in the rankings before the rugby championship. Scotland are also currently above Australia and have only lost one of their last 9 games at Murrayfield (by 5 points to NZ). Scotland beating the Boks would have been a big upset 5 or 6 years ago, not so much now I don't think.

Not sure how to call this one to be honest. I don't think the Scot's are afraid of anyone these days, especially at home, it's the question of whether they can deal with SA up front, and Russell doesn't have one of his shockers.

Not sure how to call this one to be honest. I don't think the Scot's are afraid of anyone these days, especially at home, it's the question of whether they can deal with SA up front, and Russell doesn't have one of his shockers.

Yeah, I think it's going to be more of what the Springboks will bring to the party. And what the weather will be like.

I don't really watch enough rugby to know how much trouble we are in for here. but I know Scotland are on the up.
Also we haven't actually played Scotland in a while (the world cup pool match seems to be the last time).

Even with those factors in mind we've lost a fair few games in Murrayfield.

Fair to say there are no favourites for this game and it should be tight?
Looks like it won't rain which should favour us. Not because we play a style that is more successful in the dry, just because in recent times we have proven we can't play in the wet at all.

Wet weather would 100% favour SA, Scotland's game is very fast, lots of passes, lots of running from deep. They play more like a pacific islander team than a NH team.

Wet weather would 100% favour SA, Scotland's game is very fast, lots of passes, lots of running from deep. They play more like a pacific islander team than a NH team.
I understand that and I might agree with you in theory, but if our players have proven they just can't function in the wet. Willie and Faf go from 8/10 players to 2/10 players and suddenly none of our forwards can catch at all.

That said - they did the opposite for at least the first half vs Fiji.

I fully expected a mental both sides chucking it about approach from the off, but they played through their pack and out muscled the Fijians, leaving the open running rugby for the second half when the Fijians had tired. Clever rugby I though!

Their pack had a decent game vs Wales too, despite the loss, so be interesting to see how they front up vs SA.

Also how come Faf de Klerk is unavailable? Is he injured?

Also how come Faf de Klerk is unavailable? Is he injured?
Released back to Sale
Seems we had an agreement that they'd release him for the November premiership games as long as we didn't recall him during the off weeks in the championship.

Released back to Sale
Seems we had an agreement that they'd release him for the November premiership games as long as we didn't recall him during the off weeks in the championship.

Ah fair, any idea if that includes next week? I think Sale have a game on the 24th, so there's a chance he may not play vs Wales.

We need to be building depth at 9 anyway, even if we lose some games in the interim.

Ah fair, any idea if that includes next week? I think Sale have a game on the 24th, so there's a chance he may not play vs Wales.
I'm guessing so, but no one is really sure what deal was struck - everyone was surprised when he was called up for the France game after not being named in the touring side (when other NH players were, but were just unavailable for the England game).

I'd agree with that. Scotland have a pack almost as weak as Italy and roughly on a par with the Pumas in terms of strength (but without the handling skills of the latter).

Scotland can't win in bad weather. Oh the irony!

I miss the glory days of Scottish rugby with Dan Parks and the Lamont brothers running straight into contact. :p

I miss the glory days of Scottish rugby with Dan Parks and the Lamont brothers running straight into contact. :p

Dark days indeed. White line fever featuring regularly with a heavy reliance on Chris Paterson's boot to keep the defeats respectable.

Latest posts