[2018 November Tests] Wales v Scotland (3/10/18)

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 29, 2018.

1. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Venue: Principality Stadium
    Time: 16:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. WelshDragon91

WelshDragon91 Academy Player

Is anyone needing a minibus or coaches for the game?
    Why not try the UK leading organisation for minibus and coach hire.
    Contact me via email - rhysn@people2places.co.uk

4. Thingimubob

Thingimubob First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

Well this ones causing a bit of controversy with the news that the WRU and SRU are apparently not donating any of the match day earnings to Doddie Weir's charity - My Name'5 Doddie Foundation.

The teams will be playing for the "Doddie Weir Cup" which has led many people to be under the impression that the match was at least partly being held as a charity event for Doddie and his foundation, with a cut of the gate earnings going towards him/the charity. Naturally many fans have not been impressed with either Union after the news came through.

I've heard that there will definitely be volunteers collecting money for the Foundation outside the stadium (which was planned all along) and that various charity dinners and talks have been set up by the WRU/SRU in Cardiff over the weekend to raise money.

Whether or not that will be seen as sufficient remains to be seen, especially with the news that the SRU will be receiving £1,000,000 for playing this game - the WRU's cut from the match remains unknown, but I'd imagine it will be at least the same as the SRU's and likely is quite a bit higher.

On top of all of this, we also won't be seeing either sides full strength team as the match will be outside of the International Test Window, so we're like to see both sides trying out new combinations ready for the RWC next year.

Hearing rumours that Wales are planning on playing Cory Hill at 6, which sounds mad considering the sheer number of back rowers we have - even with a number of players out injured.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dullonien

dullonien International

Country Flag:

Wales

I think we'll see the following Wales side:

01 Rob Evans
    02 Ken Owens
    03 Samson Lee
    04 Jake Ball
    05 Alun-Wyn Jones
    06 Ellis Jenkins/Dan Lydiate
    07 Justin Tipuric
    08 Ross Moriarty

09 Gareth Davies
    10 Gareth Anscombe
    11 Luke Morgan
    12 Hadleigh Parkes
    13 Jon Davies
    14 George North
    15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Elliot Dee
    17 Nicky Smith
    18 Dillon Lewis
    19 Corey Hill
    20 Dan Lydiate/Aaron Wainwright
    21 Tomos Williams
    22 Jarrod Evans
    23 Steff Evans

Hopefully Ellis is fit, otherwise we're starting to look a little thin in the backrow. Begs the question why Olly Griffiths or Young haven't been called-up, but maybe this shows that Ellis will be ok.

If the coaches fancy mixing it up a little, I'd be happy to see the likes of Dee, Tomos Williams and Owen Watkin starting.

Hoping for a good win here with some good performances giving Gats a headache going into the Aus game.

6. The Oggmonster

The Oggmonster First XV

Country Flag:

Sweden

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

I guess the WRU recognise that a sold out Principality is a cash cow and so they're max'ing out the games played there during these windows (albeit this one being just outside the window). £1m seems a good payday for the SRU but I imagine the best southern hemisphere teams would have asked for more so it's kind of a win win.

The Doddie Weir news is a bit of a PR blunder. They should have donated a small portion of the income and not disclosed how much which would have been better than saying 'no money would go to the charity'. I imagine the WRU and SRU will argue that the money will be used to develop/fund the sport in their respective nations which is valid to a point.

Is Gatland back in charge for this one? Was hoping Howler would be leading the way which is effectively a 12 point start for the opposition. Bit disappointed Blade Thomson can't play in this one. Was hoping Scarlets would have been sporting and allowed him to play seeing as there are no Welsh internationals playing in Scotland - wishful thinking :) Also bit concerned about the Scots injury problems in the front row and at centre. Sam Johnson would surely have started with Huw Jones. Looking forward to seeing Kinghorn fill Hogg's boots. I think Wales will win by 15.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. Tooting Carmen

Tooting Carmen Academy Player

Both teams have been affected by injuries and the absence of exiles, but probably Scotland more so. Combined with their really poor record in Cardiff, I agree Wales should win by two or three scores.

8. Thingimubob

Thingimubob First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

Both the WRU and SRU have seen sense and will now be donating a 6 figure sum to the charity, pity it took them this long, but they got there in the end:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46023611

WRU apparently need the 4th test every year, as they're still paying of substantial loans that were used to build the stadium. That said, I imagine they'll keep doing them even after the stadium has been fully paid off...

WRU said that they expect Gatland to be back for this test, but not had confirmation yet.

9. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

I'm glad both the WRU and SRU and seen sense and realised they will have to give some money to the foundation. I would pick the same team as Dullonien bar Wainright ahead of Lydiate at 6. Scotland will be a lot better than they were in the 6 nations and I expect a close game, I just hope there is no stupid selections like HIll at 6 which is mentioned above.

10. Thingimubob

Thingimubob First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

Not sure that is guaranteed, as between injuries and the non Glasgow/Edinburgh players not being available, this Scotland team will have a very different look about it! That said it the unknown quality is definitely an exciting one for them, especially with the likes of Hastings coming through!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

I meant from the 6 nations game against Wales, were they were terrible. I can't see them being as bad as that.

12. Thingimubob

Thingimubob First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

The Scots have named their team:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's a very exciting looking backline, which could well be fed by a lot of turnovers from that potent back row...

13. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Scotland: Kinghorn (Edinburgh); Seymour, H Jones, Dunbar, L Jones; Hastings, Price (all Glasgow); Dell, McInally (capt), Nel, Toolis (all Edinburgh), Gray (Glasgow), Ritchie, Watson (both Edinburgh), Wilson (Glasgow).

Replacements: Brown, Allan (both Glasgow), Berghan, Gilchrist (both Edinburgh), Fagerson, G Horne, P Horne (all Glasgow), Graham (Edinburgh).

Photo doesn't work for me.

Despite the injures and players unavailable that is still a decent team. Huw Jones is the obvious threat in the backs but I'm looking forward to seeing how both Hastings and Kinghorn get on who both have been playing well at regional level.

14. dullonien

dullonien International

Country Flag:

Wales

Very good side!

Could be a cracking game this!

15. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose First XV

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

Lee Jones and Alan Dell are the only players in that squad that I would consider to not be international class (surprised Berghan isn't starting). Ritchie, Kinghorn and Hastings are young and inexperienced but if they avoid injury they are nailed on players for any Scotland 23 in the next 7-8 years in my opinion. Strong bench also.

If Wales can spank this side like they did in the 6N then it will confirm to me that Wales are making strides as Gatland embraces a bit of creativity. I shall be tuning in to this.

16. ThebigARena

ThebigARena Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Scarlets

Im sensing to much optimism for Wales , historically we do pap in the autumns .

Most likely we lose this weekend , followed by further losses to Australia ( possibly by a single point) and SA. Then we will make hard work of it against Tonga but should have enough playing badly to win.

Then go into the 6 nations 4th favourites and win the slam

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thingimubob

Thingimubob First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

Team to face Scotland:

[​IMG]

18. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Agree with most of this but for once I think we'll actually beat Oz...

19. Thingimubob

Thingimubob First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

God damn I hope we do...

I am so sick of losing to them.

This Autumn will show us if the Summer was a case of us playing poor / under strength teams and papering over the cracks, or us actually playing well and starting to build strength in depth ahead of the World Cup.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tooting Carmen

Tooting Carmen Academy Player

I'm mostly happy about the selection, but where is Samson Lee?

21. The_Blindside

The_Blindside International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

Only if Beale doesn’t play;). If he does he’ll no doubt end up scoring a last minute winning try like the previous umpteen times he’s played in the winning Wallabies team v Wales.

Seriously this is Wales’ best chance against a woeful Wallabies team. If they can’t beat them at home when the Wallabies are at their lowest ebb I just don’t see much hope of Wales beating them and topping Pool D next year.

• Like Like x 1
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!