• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales v Scotland (3/10/18)

Only if Beale doesn't play;). If he does he'll no doubt end up scoring a last minute winning try like the previous umpteen times he's played in the winning Wallabies team v Wales.

Seriously this is Wales' best chance against a woeful Wallabies team. If they can't beat them at home when the Wallabies are at their lowest ebb I just don't see much hope of Wales beating them and topping Pool D next year.

I know right... if i were Gats (& I know that he always uses the AI's as more of a block to improve fitness and work-on's etc) I would target the f#$k out of the Oz game. Experiment in the other three and don't worry about the results etc... but put EVERYTHING on the Oz game!

Are Patchell and Liam Williams injured? And who is L Morgan? I don't think the front three are partcularly punishing either but the rest of the side is pretty solid.

I think Wales by 6, taking advantage of a little inexperience in the Scottish ranks.

Are Patchell and Liam Williams injured? And who is L Morgan? I don't think the front three are partcularly punishing either but the rest of the side is pretty solid.

I think Wales by 6, taking advantage of a little inexperience in the Scottish ranks.

Patchell has just returned to contact training after a concussion, Sanjay is at Saracens so they won't release him out of window. Luke Morgan is an ex Welsh sevens player, who signed for the Ospreys pre-season and has done more than okay in the Pro14 this term.

And yes... Scotland will target our front 5.

Patchell has just returned to contact training after a concussion, Sanjay is at Saracens so they won't release him out of window. Luke Morgan is an ex Welsh sevens player, who signed for the Ospreys pre-season and has done more than okay in the Pro14 this term.

And yes... Scotland will target our front 5.

Is theirs much if at all better than ours though?

If I remember right, Dell is OK all round but not spectacular, McInally is mobile and is good around the park, and Nel is a good scrummager?

Am a fan of both of our props who bring a lot to our carrying and passing game, but do worry about them at the scrum.

Is theirs much if at all better than ours though?

As Thingimubob states... the Scots will prob have the upper hand in the scrum. Dillon Lewis in particular looks a great prospect but has struggled at scrum time.

Nicky Smith has routinely struggled at this level scrum time so I do expect the Scots to have the upper hand. I just hope it's not a penalty fest.

Really happy with this selection. I think it's a really balanced line-up, although as others have mentioned I'm slightly concerned with the scrum. Whilst I think Nicky Smith has mostly overcome the scrummaging issues he had after his calf injury, he needs to prove it on the international stage now. Dillon Lewis has been very good this season, but more so in the loose, his scrummaging needs work (as expected for a tighthead his age), but it'll be interesting to see how he fares with a little more bulk behind him than he's used to at the Blues.

I've been very critical of Lydiate since his 2012 heyday, but I've seen very real indications this season that he's approaching his best again. Not sure I'd have him starting if everyone was fit, but he offers something different to the other options, doing a lot of unseen graft.

Backs, especially 9 - 14 are really exciting. Halfpenny has a lot to prove, especially with Anscombe in better form from the tee. If they go well on Sat I wouldn't mind seeing the same again except with Sanjay at fullback vs Aus.

A little surprised not to see Ball in the match day 23. I think he's a better option than Beard, offering the grunt we may need going forward. Leon Brown is an interesting one as well. He hasn't established himself for the Dragons yet, and struggles in the scrum more so than Lewis. But I think tighthead is the position more than any other that Gatland isn't happy with. Lee still hasn't recaptured his form of a few years ago and Francis is little more than solid; so I can understand Gatland experimenting here during the AI's.

Overall, really excited by this selection. Too often under Gatland we've had either predictable selections with players there based on reputation, or almost entirely second/third choice side sent out vs Japan or Fiji with no time to gel. The fact that this is a nice balance of experience and form newcomers is nice to see. Feels like there's very few players left that Gatland will select regardless of form. He dumped Halfpenny in favour of Sanjay for the Lions, so could do it again. North may be one, but at least he's back in form. AWJ another? But he's earnt it anyway. Biggar is probably the most annoying, but again he's been happy to overlook him with the Lions, so shows that he's open for someone to come in and prove they can offer more. Over to you Anscombe. I think Patchell will get another chance this AI's as well if Gats is happy with his wellbeing.

Bring on hopefully an exciting and winning AI's. For the love of god we've gotta beat Aus anyway!

Last edited:
I'm cautiously optimistic about Wales' chances of a clean sweep. SA will be a tough game though and even with a rather inconsistent Aus side Wales still like to give them a good chance. I'm a bit disappointed that Watkins doesn't get a bit of game time in this though. he only seems to get a chance when half the team is changed, I would like to see him in a near full strength team with either Davies or Parkes.

Always a decent sign with the first scrum is 23mins into the match. Unsurprisingly Wales concede a penalty with their lack of experience up front. If there is only one scrum every 20mins then it'll be a non-factor in the game.

A bit baffling why Hastings isn't being used to kick from hand at penalties. Does it suggest it is a weakness on his part in terms of accuracy or power?

A decent contest so far, with Wales looking the superior with defence and ball retention.

Poor from Huw Jones for the Wales try. Decent game so far though.

Anyone agree that George north is a cart horse ?

He is a superb physical specimen for a winger and this totally overshadows any slight limitations in his game. Unlucky not to have two tries. Scotland would kill to have a winger like him as Seymour, for all his qualities, is easy to bring him down if you can get a hand on him.

Delighted for Davies, but again, Huw Jones should have done better.

Had the feel of a bit of a knock about rather than a serious contest. Wales must be delighted with their depth and defence.

Scotland showing a continued lack of execution but a lot of young players didn't disgrace themselves away from home and they were on top for long spells in the second half. The young players have probably been blooded too early due to Scottish lack of depth and I'm doubtful they'll mature in time for the RWC. However, I still think Scotland will continue to improve in the coming years.

Decent performance from Wales all told. Great work from North for his try and the Davies' try was just a great move with great execution. Obvs the Welsh defence was outstanding too... Edwards you will be missed.

Scotland probably should have taken the points a few times instead of taking the gamble and as the commentators picked up on, they just continued to play narrow, which is unlike them. Am sure they will improve as the AI's continue.

Happy with that win and that 7 man scrum but again Wales kicked the ball far too much I felt they left tries out there today , all credit to Scotland for coming back and making it competitive , it was fitting of a doddie Weir trophy great test match. Well done both teams and Scotland only get better from this and should of really got within 1 score when we went down to 14.

Latest posts