• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs Australia (10/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
SxGOCQa.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 19:20 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Wales are in decent form at the moment, are at home and playing an Aus side that had a poor RC. So I expect Wales to be up 10 points with 5 minutes to go and still losing. :p

I expect a few changes for Wales, Evans to start over Smith, Liam Williams on the wing for Morgan, Jenkins will be on the bench as well as Biggar with Lydiate and Anscombe keeping their places.

If Wales go 0 and 14 vs Australia then that would be genuinely hilarious, especially as 9 of them would have been at home (with two in neutral grounds)

If Wales go 0 and 14 vs Australia then that would be genuinely hilarious, especially as 9 of them would have been at home (with two in neutral grounds)

Wales seem to have some mental block when it comes to SH sides and they just expect to lose, they have managed to shake it of South Africa now but I don't think anyone can explain how they have manged to throw away so many leads against Australia over the years. Gatland's tenure on the whole has been very positive for Wales but he record against SH sides has been not good enough really.

Last edited:
but he record against SH sides has been not hood enough really.
Its been appalling and the entire reason I don't really rate Gat's as an international coach.

The inability to ever really get it over the line against SH sides when other 6N sides have had relative sucesses over the years. Look Scotland managed to turn over Australia away, England gave them a right kicking, Wales...

I find the 6 nations success the abberations in his tenure not the failures.

I can't see anything other than a Wales win. I believe in you.

Stop it, you will jinx them. :p
Its been appalling and the entire reason I don't really rate Gat's as an international coach.

The inability to ever really get it over the line against SH sides when other 6N sides have had relative sucesses over the years. Look Scotland managed to turn over Australia away, England gave them a right kicking, Wales...

I find the 6 nations success the abberations in his tenure not the failures.

He went with the Lions, won in Aus and drew in NZ. I think it's been part a negative game plan and part the players mental block.

He went with the Lions, won in Aus and drew in NZ. I think it's been part a negative game plan and part the players mental block.
Aus, Ire & Eng doing fine against them a Lions win should of been on the cards regardless of who was in charge.

NZ I think Gats wasted the 12 year opportunity to actually get a Lions win.

Wales surely have to win this game. their run v Australia is bordering on pathetic. not even like the Wallabies have been great in the last decade. that said why have I have got a horrible feeling Wales will blow it again?. Australia by 4 points.

Nah remember the Lions tour wars basically Welsh right so that counts?

Wales are in decent form at the moment, are at home and playing an Aus side that had a poor RC. So I expect Wales to be up 10 points with 5 minutes to go and still losing. :p

I expect a few changes for Wales, Evans to start over Smith, Liam Williams on the wing for Morgan, Jenkins will be on the bench as well as Biggar with Lydiate and Anscombe keeping their places.

Yeah, that's probably the side I'm expecting as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis Jenkins come in for Lydiate, but Lyds had a good game v Scotland so I expect that to be rewarded. I really hope Anscombe is retained at fly half, that's the main thing.....

Wales simply have to win. If they lose this again, they'll have no chance of turning them over in the pool stages of the WC. Win on Sat and I think they'll have every opportunity of topping their WC pool. That's how important this game is imo.

Wales by 6.

Patchell has been declared fit, however I would be surprised if he played. I think him starting the Tonga game will be a better option. Lee has also been ruled out, so realistically it's going to be between Francis and Lewis.

Wales seem to have some mental block when it comes to SH sides and they just expect to lose, they have managed to shake it of South Africa now but I don't think anyone can explain how they have manged to throw away so many leads against Australia over the years. Gatland's tenure on the whole has been very positive for Wales but he record against SH sides has been not good enough really.
Australia have just been a better side for most of the past encounters, Particularly when Wales were playing really tight, direct rugby. The inability to use a 2 man advantage in the RWC springs to mind.

That said, from 2016 onwards we've fallen off a cliff. This is the worst Australian side of the last 40 odd years and Wales seem to be playing a more rounded game. If you can't beat us now I'll be amazed.

Australia have just been a better side for most of the past encounters, Particularly when Wales were playing really tight, direct rugby. The inability to use a 2 man advantage in the RWC springs to mind.

That said, from 2016 onwards we've fallen off a cliff. This is the worst Australian side of the last 40 odd years and Wales seem to be playing a more rounded game. If you can't beat us now I'll be amazed.

There's a number of games where Aus completely outclassed Wales but there is also a number where Wales where ahead going into the last 10 minutes but did not manage to close the game out. Regardless of who was the better team Wales seem to loose a lead in the final few minutes to Aus more than anyone else.

I probably say this every year but THIS is as good a chance as we're ever going to get. I know Oz have some players coming back and that did look like they reddiscovered how to play rugby during that second half against Argentina but for once... I think the pressure is more on Oz. With a record like ours against them, there is always going to be pressure on Wales and I think that has played in to the results a little over the years but on the back of the Oz season, if they don't beat us this time they are gonna get ANNIHILATED in their press.

That pressure that I don't think Oz usually feels coming to the Principality/Millennium might just be the difference this time.

If Australia start with high intensity and fast pace ruck ball which they always seem to be able to do aginst Wales then I think they will win. If Wales can slow them down and put in a few big hits or even better starve them of possession for the first 10-20 minutes then there's a chance...

If Wales can play with some brains this time then they can win. I've never seen a more clueless display when they could not score a try v Australia when they were down to 13 men in the last RWC. Just kept bashing to get over the try line even when there was 2-3 man overlap on the outside.

They have shown flashes of it but I'm not convinced on Wales' 'expansive style'. Against Scotland they struggled to create too much after multiple phases and it ended up being far too many one up runners.

Latest posts