• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs Australia (10/11/18)

They have shown flashes of it but I'm not convinced on Wales' 'expansive style'. Against Scotland they struggled to create too much after multiple phases and it ended up being far too many one up runners.

In fairness Saturday was our (as well as Scotland and England's) first run out of the new season. You can't expect a side to just click instantly... you only have to look at the England and much talked up Scotland attack's on the same day to understand that. Out of the three teams, the Welsh attack was definitely the sharpest, our real problem over the last year has been the lack of possession we get, the fact we have scored a decent return of tries with such a low possession indicates a fair degree of clinical finishing.

Interesting game this from a world cup perspective. If Wales don't win (and they really should), they're going to have to go into the world cup with all the 'They can't beat Australia' talk. Winning would be a big step forward for them.

Wales online reporting that the Wales team will be:

The probable Wales team to face Australia: 15 Leigh Halfpenny 14 George North 13 Jonathan Davies 12 Hadleigh Parkes 11 Josh Adams 10 Gareth Anscombe 9 Gareth Davies 1 Nicky Smith 2 Ken Owens 3 Tomas Francis 4 Adam Beard 5 Alun Wyn Jones (CAPT) 6 Dan Lydiate 7 Justin Tipuric 8 Ross Moriarty

Possible replacements: Liam Williams, Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams, Dillon Lewis, Cory Hill, Elliot Dee, Rob Evans, Ellis Jenkins

They're usually correct when the announce it early. Interesting if true. Would be great to see Anscombe continue at 10. Interesting selections of Beard and Adams ahead of Ball/Hill and Sanjay if true. Some great impact from the bench though (other than Biggar).

A few interesting decisions if true. I don't mind Smith but the scrums situation is always a worry for me. What are people's thoughts on Beard? I feel I've not seen that much from him to suggest he's more of a prospect than Seb Davies.

Last edited:
I think Seb Davies is a better prospect, but he's only just back from injury, so probably not in the running yet. Beard has a lot of potential, but he's not first choice for the O's yet, so a little odd seeing him start ahead of Ball and Hill if true.

Regarding the possible match day 23, I read a recent interview with Sean Edwards where he felt the reason Wales lost a good few of the previous 13 games against Australia was them having a stronger bench than us and consequently winning the match in the last 10 minutes. That 23, with so much strength and experience on the bench like Rob Evans, Biggar and Sanjay would play into Edwards' conclusion that Wales now have the opportunity for a far stronger bench than ever before. Still, very interesting selection all the same.

About Beard and Seb Davies, I'm convinced that the Welsh management are intent on converting Davies into a number 8. It's the position Wales are thin on the ground above all others and Davies appears to have been pinpointed to take on that role. On Beard, I've been pleasantly surprised, as well as virtually guaranteeing you line out ball, he puts in a lot of effective work around the field too. Also, with his bulk, it can only help the front row at scrum time.

For someone his size you want him to be physical imposing himself on the other team but he doesn't seem to do that in either attack of defence. I think your right about Seb Davies, I'm sure he has played in the back row more than 2nd row for Wales. He will probably start the Tonga game at 8.

For someone his size you want him to be physical imposing himself on the other team but he doesn't seem to do that in either attack of defence. I think your right about Seb Davies, I'm sure he has played in the back row more than 2nd row for Wales. He will probably start the Tonga game at 8.

I think the issue Beard appears to have shifting his (considerable) weight around the park is that he has had to pile on so much weight in a short amount of time. If you saw him on the Pacific Island tour in 2017 he looked like a bean pole. Next time I saw him he is a proper unit and it will take time for any athleticism to catch up with putting on a few stone.

Heard suggestions that Beale, Folau and DHP will all play in the outside backs to counter the Welsh boxkicking game. They can all certainly attack from broken play. Doubt it will happen though.

Heard suggestions that Beale, Folau and DHP will all play in the outside backs to counter the Welsh boxkicking game. They can all certainly attack from broken play. Doubt it will happen though.

Lol... our 'box kicking game' is so rubbish that all a team need do to counter it is not knock the ball on. There is certainly no need to formulate a counter strategy.

Lol... our 'box kicking game' is so rubbish that all a team need do to counter it is not knock the ball on. There is certainly no need to formulate a counter strategy.
Well, perhaps they meant that they would target it by playing a back three that are strong in the air/on the counter?

Gareth Davies' strength is certainly not boxing kicking, I would say it's a bit poor for test level. Wales kick it in field and trust their defence, Aus looking to pick their best counter attackers to attack this tactic, to be honest I do think Wales need to boot the ball off the pitch a bit more.

Gareth Davies' strength is certainly not boxing kicking, I would say it's a bit poor for test level. Wales kick it in field and trust their defence, Aus looking to pick their best counter attackers to attack this tactic, to be honest I do think Wales need to boot the ball off the pitch a bit more.

Aled Davies has actually got a very good box kicking game, which gives a chaser a really good shout at reclaiming it but both Gareth and Tomos just don't seem to have that skill (while possessing great running threats it it's place).

Regardless, I expected DHP, Folau and Beale to all play anyway. After watching the Rugby Championship I would imagine that Folau will be put on the wing to allow DHP to play full baby (he's to slow to play wing) & then Beale only seems effective at 12.

Aled Davies is too slow for me. Doesn't offer enough to be worth of a starting place, you want a scrum half to bring tempo and he seems to do the opposite. I expect Beale to play 12 as well, considering Hodge is injured, unless he's put at 10.

If Wales can play with some brains this time then they can win. I've never seen a more clueless display when they could not score a try v Australia when they were down to 13 men in the last RWC. Just kept bashing to get over the try line even when there was 2-3 man overlap on the outside.

The players bottled it there as is the usual case against Australia. Can't really blame the coaches for that game.

The players bottled it there as is the usual case against Australia. Can't really blame the coaches for that game.

I was at the game and you could hear all the Welsh fans imploring them to move it wide when Australia were down to 13 men. But Wales just seemed happy just to keep battering away at the line with the forwards in the forlorn hope they would break through.

But yes that is down to on field leadership and just basic rugby nous.

That World cup match was retarded. They are meant to be a professional side but couldn't work out to just make two extra passes, a youth team would have been able to finish that.

i see that BBC are also reporting to exact the same team as Wales Online now.

Last edited:
i see that BBC are also reporting to expect the same team as Wales Online now.

It's looking more and more likely, which is great as I was really worried Gats would parachute Biggar in. With Biggar on the bench I take it that the Welsh management feel that if they can be in the lead with 20mins-15mins to go, they can bring Dan on and play territory to close the game out.

If that doesn't pan out though (which is possible) bringing Biggar on ain't going to change much if anything.

Aussie's have named their team:

Australia: Dane Haylett-Petty; Israel Folau, Samu Kerevi, Kurtley Beale, Sefa Naivalu; Bernard Foley, Will Genia; Scott Sio, Tolu Latu, Allan Alaalatoa; Izack Rodda, Adam Coleman; Jack Dempsey, Michael Hooper, David Pocock.

Subs: Tatafu-Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu, Taniela Tupou, Rob Simmons, Ned Hanigan, Nick Phipps, Matt To'omua, Jack Maddocks

Despite Aus' mixed form that's still a decent team and that back line has threats from all over the place. They are still going with the Pooper combo so you might see a lot more tight carrying from Wales.

Latest posts