• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs South Africa (24/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 19:20 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I've been rather impressed with SA this autumn, so much improvement over this past year. I'm not sure how to call it, I think it's 50/50 at the moment. Wales need to try attack SA with some pace and width, they played a tight, kick chase game against Aus and Scotland which did work but I can't see it working against SA. They have too many powerful ball carriers to get them over the gain line. As for the Wales selection, it's one the hardest to select in years. A lot of players had put their hand up over the last 3 games.

Halfpenny, Liam Williams, J Davies, Watkins, North, Patchell, G Davies, R Evans, Owens, Francis, Ball, Jones, Lydiate, Tipruic, Moriarty
Dee, Wyn Jones, Lewis, Hill, Jenkins , T Williams, Anscombe, Adams,

A lot of tough calls, some are going to be unlucky, especially Nicky smith but you have to pick decent scrummagers against SA or the scrum will get murdered. Picking Watkins over Parkes, to get that go forward at 12 which Parkes has been lacking. Not a massive fan of Lydiate to be fair but he's a good counter to a hard and straight running SA pack, having the bulk of Ball in there will help as well. Bench should add a lot of pace to he game in the last 30.

Cant argue much with that team really and dont think you are far away from what will be announced.

I think Gatland will have Anscombe starting with Biggar on the bench and Parkes over Watkins. Depends on how Wales will play though, I hope it's a quick, expansive game.

I think Gatland will have Anscombe starting with Biggar on the bench and Parkes over Watkins. Depends on how Wales will play though, I hope it's a quick, expansive game.

So will the roof be closed? I really hope we can play on a dry pitch, apart from the French game, the Springboks have been fortunate to play in some really good weather.

I have a suspicion that there will be a few changes to the bok team for this game, and I'm hoping that Kolbe gets a start.

Wales nearly always want to close the roof these days. The opposition can object though, although I can only remember them doing it once.

So will the roof be closed? I really hope we can play on a dry pitch, apart from the French game, the Springboks have been fortunate to play in some really good weather.
Both teams have to agree....most don't because of crowd effect of closing it in makes it even more hostile. But if SA really think a dry pitch against Wales outweighs that then they might as well.

Personally I'm just against the roof, Rugby is supposed to be all weather but extreme game unless the match would be called off otherwise the roof should remain open.

Wales nearly always want to close the roof these days. The opposition can object though, although I can only remember them doing it once.
It happens every time England play (we've only agreed to it being closed a couple of times). There's always an inevitable story in game week about how we deserve to lose because we won't give Wales that advantage.

Opposition don't have to agree in the AI's, that's a 6 Nations ruling. it's Wales' choice on Saturday, so it'll be shut.

Regarding team selection, I'd go with the following personally. Mostly first choice, with one or two in there to continue developing depth:

01 Nicky Smith. Deserves to go again, and a chance to show that his scrummaging is now back to where it was pre calf injury. Wyn Jones didn't do enough v Tonga to feature imo.
02 Elliot Dee. Ken Owens is still 1st choice, but I'd like to see one of Dee or Elias given a start v a top team.
03 Tomos Francis. best to go with the stronger scrummager here.
04 Jake Ball. Forced his way into the starting XV with his performance v Tonga. His extra bulk is required v SA as well.
05 AWJ.
06 Ellis Jenkins.
Not a fan of picking players in order to counter the opposition, hence why I'm not going with Lydiate. Jenkins wasn't amazing v Tonga, but I really like him, and I think he and Tips could form a potent tag team.
07 Justin Tipuric.
08 Ross Moriarty.

09 Aled Davies. I thought he was exceptional v Tonga. His kicking and passing are probably a notch above the other 2, so give him an opportunity to show what he can do from the start.
10 Rhys Patchell. I think it'll be Anscombe with Biggar on the bench, but I think Patchell is our best 10. Another who was great off the bench v Tonga.
11 Josh Adams. Deserves to go again after the Aus game.
12 Owen Watkin. Parkes hasn't been at his best, and Watkin has had a fine season so far. Watkin needs an opportunity against a top side now to show that we have 2 very good options at 12 going into the 6 nations and WC.
13 Jon Davies.
14 George North.
If fit I'd certainly play him.
15 Liam Williams. Fully deserves another opportunity at 15.

16 Ken Owens
17 Rob Evans
18 Dillon Lewis
19 Cory Hill
20 Seb Davies
21 Tomos Williams
22 Gareth Anscombe
23 Leigh Halfpenny/Hadleigh Parkes

It happens every time England play (we've only agreed to it being closed a couple of times). There's always an inevitable story in game week about how we deserve to lose because we won't give Wales that advantage.

I don't see the issue. Wind is also part of nature, yet most stadiums are enclosed enough to prevent strong winds having a massive effect, and arguably wind can have as big an effect as rain. Other sides embrace the windy conditions and purposely leave their stadiums with open corners (Connacht springs to mind).

Home advantage is home advantage, so imo Wales should be able to close the roof if they choose. However it doesn't overly bother me, though the occasions where the game has been dreadful due to heavy rain has irritated me.

this is definitely the pick of this weekend's autumn games. a really difficult game to call..... Boks by 3 points!.

Just because the game can and has involved wet weather doesn't mean we shouldnt prevent it, the game should evolve to its best form and rainy games are ****.

i'm English and I don't know why we object to Wales closing the roof either. its strange. I don't think the roof being shut makes any difference whatsoever. the Millennium Stadium is very noisy roof open or not. this is a benchmark game for these two teams. If Wales could win 9 in a row that would be a brilliant momentum booster for them going into the 6 nations. I think SA may grind out a tight win as they've done in the last two weeks.

Halfpenny ruled out and Amos called in as a replacement. Since there are players in the squad to cover Halfpenny's injury it must mean that Amos will be taking some part on Saturday.

If Amos is brought in to the 23, you'd have to think it would be on the bench due to his lack of involvement this autumn.

11. Adams, 14 North & 15.Williams probably the most likely with either Patchell (assuming Anscombe starts), Amos or Holmes on the bench.

Latest posts