• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs South Africa (24/11/18)

If Wales could win 9 in a row that would be a brilliant momentum booster for them going into the 6 nations. I think SA may grind out a tight win as they've done in the last two weeks.

Well we already combo breaked Scotland. But yea this will be a very tight win for either side

So early news is that Leigh Halfpenny has been ruled out due to concussion and that Eben Etzebeth and Faf de Klerk will be available for selection.

Our reporters seem to suggest that even though Faf is available, that Papier will get his second start after his performance against Scotland, so Faf will in all likelihood be on the bench.

If Eben is available, I'd really like to see him and RG Snyman start. Give Mostert a rest, and maybe even PSDT, although I doubt Rassie will do that. My worry is that Whiteley might also be available for this game, so I fear that our loose trio will be off centre again.

Thanl god for that! The new bok 9 had a great game last week but Faf is different level! He would be more than a handful for any 9 Wales put out!

I am an Anscombe man but would not be at all surprised if Biggar is given the nod due to the Boks love of hitting the 10/12 lanes and their big carriers in the center. If Parkes starts and I was a bok I would hammer Parkes mercilessly. He has missed tackles in him and the pace of the Bok back 3 worries me.

Thanl god for that! The new bok 9 had a great game last week but Faf is different level! He would be more than a handful for any 9 Wales put out!

I am an Anscombe man but would not be at all surprised if Biggar is given the nod due to the Boks love of hitting the 10/12 lanes and their big carriers in the center. If Parkes starts and I was a bok I would hammer Parkes mercilessly. He has missed tackles in him and the pace of the Bok back 3 worries me.

As 1/2p is out, I do think Gats will go with Biggar (prob why Biggar's kicking was so on point against Tonga) but I hope Anscombe keeps the shirt. His goal kicking is also high percentage but his game is a bit more effective for our backs.

I really hope Gats doesn't revert to Biggar. Anscombe place kicking is easily good enough (I'm fairly certain his percentages will be higher this season than either Biggar or Halfpenny's). I think it's also important for other players to be tested prior to the WC. If Biggar and Halfpenny end up injured, it'd be good to know that Anscombe and Patchell have had experience of kicking at international level in a high pressure game.

I'd love to see Patchell involved, but maybe he hasn't had enough game time recently for Gatlands liking.

Seems like the Boks will name nearly an unchanged team that played Scotland with the only possible change being Etzebeth in the place of De Jager on the bench.

Team will be announced today around 3pm.

As 1/2p is out, I do think Gats will go with Biggar (prob why Biggar's kicking was so on point against Tonga) but I hope Anscombe keeps the shirt. His goal kicking is also high percentage but his game is a bit more effective for our backs.
SA blitz, so Patchel standing flat may suit them, as you have said I also hope Ansombe keeps the shirt, but I feel Bigger may be preferred the reason being with Bigger Gatland knows what he's got.

15. Williams 14. North 13. Davies 12. Parkes 11. Adams 10. Anscombe 9. Davies 8. Moriarty 7. Tipuric 6. Lydiate 5. Jones 4. Beard 3. Francis 2. Owens 1. Smith

16. Dee 17. Evans 18. Lewis 19. Hill 20. Jenkins 21. Williams 22. Bigger 23. Watkin

Pretty happy with that... couple of things I personally would change but just happy Gats refrained from putting Biggs back in.

Yeah, happy on the whole. Not quite sure about Beard again, especially after such a strong performance from Ball v Tonga. Would have also liked to see Watkin starting, but all the same I'm hoping Parkes has a stormer because I really like the bloke, and it'd be great to have him back playing well again.

Gareth Davies is lucky to keep hold of the 9 shirt, but again I hope he has a good game because he's dynamite on a good day. Biggar on the bench = meh! Understand why, but I would have liked to see Patchell.

Here's the Bok team:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Embrose Papier, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Cheslin Kolbe

I am not sure about Beard. Hes a huge guy but our lineout seems off kilter when he is on,(think people underestkmste Hill here) does a lot of pushing at mauls but almost always upright rather then using his body properly and doesnt have the grit and carrying of Ball. He doesnt really offer anything that AWJ does and to me looks more like the long term replacement than a fit to play alongside him. Am I om my own here?

Looking at Kriel hitting the short ball into Parkes with Le Roux as 2nd reciever to take the space created or pick up on the missed tackle. Lydiate is going to have to tackle like a man possessed on sat.

On a further note i think or front row off rhe bench looks impressive and Jenkins coming on at the hour may have a field day with a tiring bok backrow

Yeah, happy on the whole. Not quite sure about Beard again, especially after such a strong performance from Ball v Tonga. Would have also liked to see Watkin starting, but all the same I'm hoping Parkes has a stormer because I really like the bloke, and it'd be great to have him back playing well again.

Gareth Davies is lucky to keep hold of the 9 shirt, but again I hope he has a good game because he's dynamite on a good day. Biggar on the bench = meh! Understand why, but I would have liked to see Patchell.

These are exactly my thoughts. One thing I don't get though is what is the point of calling Amos up to the squad if he wasn't going to feature?

Looking at Kriel hitting the short ball into Parkes with Le Roux as 2nd reciever to take the space created or pick up on the missed tackle. Lydiate is going to have to tackle like a man possessed on sat.

Yes we know that Parkes had a bad day at the office v Scotland, but this is the only time I can remember Hadleigh looking poor defensively whether that's in a Welsh or Scarlets jersey. I don't think we'll see him miss many tackles this weekend.

This game was definitely the one that has worried me the most going into the AI series.

I'm confident that we can win, not so confident that we will! It'll be a tight game between two teams on the up, so I'm looking forward to a hell of a contest!

Yeah I agree. I'm more worried about his impact in attack, he has just shipped the ball on too much for me without offering a threat of running straight. Allows the defence to just drift across.

I have seen him miss a few. South Africa will have watched that game though and with their hard runners will try and exploit it. Kriel is a right handful!

Mike that is what you get with Parkes. He is a jack of all trades 12 rather than being good in any area.

Our bench does look stronger though!

Latest posts