• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs South Africa (24/11/18)

Sorry, didn't mean you did. He went well to be honest, but he's getting a lot of game time, is it game time he really deserves over other players? (I.e. Seb Davies) Seb is younger than Beard and i think has shown a lot more to warrant his inclusion over Beard. Sadly current Wales management don't see him as a second row.

I do think Davies is the more complete player out of the two but the management clearly see him transitioning to the role of 6 &/ 8... something there is also a lot of negativity around.

If we wasn't so short of 8's I think Seb would've definitely gotten some game time at lock. I actually thought he went ok at 8 against Tonga... there's still a lot for him to work on but he didn't look out of place (As he had last autumn against Georgia and at 6 in the summer).

Sorry, didn't mean you did. He went well to be honest, but he's getting a lot of game time, is it game time he really deserves over other players? (I.e. Seb Davies) Seb is younger than Beard and i think has shown a lot more to warrant his inclusion over Beard. Sadly current Wales management don't see him as a second row.
I also think Seb is a far better foil to AWJ. He is a far better athlete and as AWJ ages he will want someone to take his leg work. Beard did well but do agree with you.

Also we dont NEED Webb. Yes he is the best we have but also agree Davies is now becoming a slight issue. Id have either Williams 9 from the Blues as a starter.

I think Tomos Williams is long term 9 but this world cup may come a bit early for him unless he starts a few 6 nations games.

I have a question though for my fellow Welsh posters. Has Justin Tipuric ever been sanctioned for his grass-cutting tackle technique?

Not to my knowledge although Lydiate has given away a few penalties for 'chopping' low. Though in this current state of the 'people's shoulder' (trademark pending) I'd be a bit miffed if Tips started getting penalised for that while Owen Farrell goes on unashamedly doing his thing.

Not to my knowledge although Lydiate has given away a few penalties for 'chopping' low. Though in this current state of the 'people's shoulder' (trademark pending) I'd be a bit miffed if Tips started getting penalised for that while Owen Farrell goes on unashamedly doing his thing.

I was amazed that not a single one of his tackles even went to the TMO. I counted 5 of them in the first half alone.

Breaking someones knee is almost as bad as shouldering them at eye-height. Almost...

I was amazed that not a single one of his tackles even went to the TMO. I counted 5 of them in the first half alone.

Breaking someones knee is almost as bad as shouldering them at eye-height. Almost...

Just out of interest what is the current law in regards to 'low tackles?

There is no special law regarding low tackles. The player must make an attempt to wrap and that is it.

So as long as a player uses their arm it should be fine as it's difficult to prove whether an arm is wrapping or not when it is the 'connection' point of the tackler...

All depends... if it were Farrell going low with the shoulder...
Hmm, Farrell seems to be having stick over some of his tackles and rightly so, he wasn't even sited which is a concern, but I cant remember anyone being sited for tackling low the Aussies and NZ do it lydiate has been doing it since his inclusion in the Wales team,

Hmm, Farrell seems to be having stick over some of his tackles and rightly so, he wasn't even sited which is a concern, but I cant remember anyone being sited for tackling low the Aussies and NZ do it lydiate has been doing it since his inclusion in the Wales team,

Yeah... I guess my point is that in this age of trying to protect players from head trauma... not that Farrell's shoulder has actually connected with anyone's head (yet) low flying Welshman should probably be pretty low down the list of priorities as far as reffing goes.

I remember Tips doing a few, and remember at least once hearing Pearce say "He wrapped his arms. Play on" - will have to re-watch to see if he did every time.

Lydiate got pinged for one vs Aus if I remember right though!

On the note of things not being picked up by the ref - anyone else notice how often the Springbok "dummy" runners were making significant contact with defenders and taking them out of the game?

Don't think it ever led to a score directly, but seemed like every move they were smashing into a Welsh player and pushing them out of the defensive line, leaving them out of the game for the next phase. As a Welsh fan, it was naturally frustrating to watch!

On the flip side, few non-Welsh mates have pointed out that Gareth Davies seemed offside a lot? Certainly was out of the blocks very quickly, so imagine there's a shout that he was jumping the gun a lot?

I remember Tips doing a few, and remember at least once hearing Pearce say "He wrapped his arms. Play on" - will have to re-watch to see if he did every time.

On the note of things not being picked up by the ref - anyone else notice how often the Springbok "dummy" runners were making significant contact with defenders and taking them out of the game?

Don't think it ever led to a score directly, but seemed like every move they were smashing into a Welsh player and pushing them out of the defensive line, leaving them out of the game for the next phase. As a Welsh fan, it was naturally frustrating to watch!

On the flip side, few non-Welsh mates have pointed out that Gareth Davies seemed offside a lot? Certainly was out of the blocks very quickly, so imagine there's a shout that he was jumping the gun a lot?

I did notice what I thought could've been considered crossing once... Will have to back and see if had missed any others.

On the offside thing... I think Wales, Ireland and England have got away with it for a while now.

I thought the ref had a really good game

I did notice what I thought could've been considered crossing once... Will have to back and see if had missed any others.

On the offside thing... I think Wales, Ireland and England have got away with it for a while now.

All the teams are technically offside now. Like crooked scrum feeds it's just been let to slide for so long that teams just take the **** now.

the only thing that had me shouting was the tackle areawhere the SAs seemed to be taking the ball with their hands on the floor I know that the Welsh players were laying on the floor but after a ruck I thought was formed.

All the teams are technically offside now. Like crooked scrum feeds it's just been let to slide for so long that teams just take the **** now.

Yup... and any decent rugby teams who wants to win will play to what they can get away with.

Latest posts