[2018 November Tests] Wales vs South Africa (24/11/18)

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by TRF_heineken, Nov 19, 2018.

1. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

I do think Davies is the more complete player out of the two but the management clearly see him transitioning to the role of 6 &/ 8... something there is also a lot of negativity around.

If we wasn't so short of 8's I think Seb would've definitely gotten some game time at lock. I actually thought he went ok at 8 against Tonga... there's still a lot for him to work on but he didn't look out of place (As he had last autumn against Georgia and at 6 in the summer).

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. oj121

oj121 Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

I also think Seb is a far better foil to AWJ. He is a far better athlete and as AWJ ages he will want someone to take his leg work. Beard did well but do agree with you.

Also we dont NEED Webb. Yes he is the best we have but also agree Davies is now becoming a slight issue. Id have either Williams 9 from the Blues as a starter.

4. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

I think Tomos Williams is long term 9 but this world cup may come a bit early for him unless he starts a few 6 nations games.

5. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Member

Nice to have choices,

6. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Not to my knowledge although Lydiate has given away a few penalties for 'chopping' low. Though in this current state of the 'people's shoulder' (trademark pending) I'd be a bit miffed if Tips started getting penalised for that while Owen Farrell goes on unashamedly doing his thing.

7. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

I was amazed that not a single one of his tackles even went to the TMO. I counted 5 of them in the first half alone.

Breaking someones knee is almost as bad as shouldering them at eye-height. Almost...

• Like Like x 1
  8. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Just out of interest what is the current law in regards to 'low tackles?

9. MikeTheNative

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

There is no special law regarding low tackles. The player must make an attempt to wrap and that is it.

10. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

So as long as a player uses their arm it should be fine as it's difficult to prove whether an arm is wrapping or not when it is the 'connection' point of the tackler...

11. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Member

Doesn't a low tackle just take the legs away not smash the knees.

12. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

All depends... if it were Farrell going low with the shoulder...

13. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Member

Hmm, Farrell seems to be having stick over some of his tackles and rightly so, he wasn't even sited which is a concern, but I cant remember anyone being sited for tackling low the Aussies and NZ do it lydiate has been doing it since his inclusion in the Wales team,

14. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Yeah... I guess my point is that in this age of trying to protect players from head trauma... not that Farrell's shoulder has actually connected with anyone's head (yet) low flying Welshman should probably be pretty low down the list of priorities as far as reffing goes.

15. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

I remember Tips doing a few, and remember at least once hearing Pearce say "He wrapped his arms. Play on" - will have to re-watch to see if he did every time.

Lydiate got pinged for one vs Aus if I remember right though!

On the note of things not being picked up by the ref - anyone else notice how often the Springbok "dummy" runners were making significant contact with defenders and taking them out of the game?

Don't think it ever led to a score directly, but seemed like every move they were smashing into a Welsh player and pushing them out of the defensive line, leaving them out of the game for the next phase. As a Welsh fan, it was naturally frustrating to watch!

On the flip side, few non-Welsh mates have pointed out that Gareth Davies seemed offside a lot? Certainly was out of the blocks very quickly, so imagine there's a shout that he was jumping the gun a lot?

16. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Member

yes I agree, but using the Shoulder with out the arms Is illegal so he should have been sited,

17. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

I did notice what I thought could've been considered crossing once... Will have to back and see if had missed any others.

On the offside thing... I think Wales, Ireland and England have got away with it for a while now.

18. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Member

I thought the ref had a really good game

19. MikeTheNative

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

All the teams are technically offside now. Like crooked scrum feeds it's just been let to slide for so long that teams just take the **** now.

20. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Member

the only thing that had me shouting was the tackle areawhere the SAs seemed to be taking the ball with their hands on the floor I know that the Welsh players were laying on the floor but after a ruck I thought was formed.

21. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Yup... and any decent rugby teams who wants to win will play to what they can get away with.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!