• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs Tonga (17/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
DBiYQQC.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I'm going this so if the Aus game is anything to go by I will needs lots of drink to help make me through or fall asleep if it's that bad. :p

I would make a few changes but I don't see the benefit of putting out an completely inexperienced team to struggle to gel. It's a balance of trying to give guys game time but all not changing the entire team.

Wyn Jones
Dee
Lewis
Beard
Hill
Wainwright
Jenkins
Moriarty
Tomos Williams
Patchell
Adams
Watkins
Jon Davies
Morgan
Liam Williams

Elias, Rob Evans, Brown, Ball, Tipuric, G Davies, Anscombe, Morgan

i think that's a good mix of young players who will benefit from game time and some more experienced players. Looking for a massive improvement in attack though.

I'd probably give Moriarty a rest next week... I know we don't have a lot of options at 8 but with his persistent back problem id slot someone else in. Maybe Navidi or even SEB Davies, whom I believe are both back from injuries now.

SAY NO to Seb Daves at 8!

:p

Navidi hasn't played since being injured so it will be a big ask for him to play. Davies at 8 is probably going to happen though.

I'd go for a similar side:

01 Wyn Jones
02 Elliot Dee
03 Leon Brown
04 Seb Davies
05 Jake Ball
06 Dan Lydiate
07 Ellis Jenkins (c)
08 Aaron Wainwright

09 Tomos Williams
10 Rhys Patchell
11 Steff Evans
12 Owen Watkin
13 Tyler Morgan
14 Jonah Holmes
15 Liam Williams

16 Ryan Elias
17 Rob Evans
18 Dillon Lewis
19 Adam Beard
20 Ross Moriarty
21 Aled Davies
22 Gareth Anscombe
23 Hadleigh Parkes

Wanted to find a spot for Morgan on the wing, but Holmes and Steff deserve a shot this Autumn as well. We probably also need centre cover on the bench (not to mention some more game time for Hadleigh to rediscover his mojo before SA).

The days of Wales having an Autumn howler against a Tier2 are long gone. Too much depth these days.

Amos & Patchell please.

Amos has been training with the squad apparently so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him. I would like to see Morgan get another chance however, not sure the piitp of capping Holmes for the sake of it to be honest. We have other players who are for and more talented.

SAY NO to Seb Daves at 8!

:p

Navidi hasn't played since being injured so it will be a big ask for him to play. Davies at 8 is probably going to happen though.

Lol, I get you on both but I really think we need to look after Ross. Just watched the Oz game again and he took a few major lumps. With Faletau out and the cupboard all but bare (of 8's anyway) cotton wool is needed for Sherlock's nemesis.

What about Ollie Griffiths or is he still injured too? If so Cudd, or is he also out?

Yeah, you're probably right there 're Holmes. Our back 3 pool is looking reasonably healthy, especially if Steff Evans can rediscover his form. Hopefully come WC time we'll be able to select from:

George North
Liam Williams
Leigh Halfpenny
Josh Adams
Halam Amos
Steff Evans
Owen Lane
Keelan Giles
Luke Morgan

I think Amos will become a 13 in the very near future...

Amos has been playing a bit at 13 for the Dragons, the whole team is so crap though it's hard to get a good read on how good he can be there.
I forgot that Evans was still in the squad, I would like to see Patchell have 50 minutes and Evans the last 30.

I think Amos scored quite a nice consolation for 13 for the Dragons vs Connacht the other day? He cuts some lovely lines, so 13 could be well suited to him.

I'm not against him shifting towards centre as it is one of the weaker positions we have depth wise, especially considering that a lot of our top centres are unfortunately injury prone!

Was actually watching a video of all of the Welsh tries in 2017 and 2018 the other day, and something I noticed was the sheer amount of tries he was involved in - either creating/assisting or finishing off himself.

Last edited:
McBryde mentioned that Hill might feature in the back row at some point but also they only consider Wainwright a 6/7 so he probably will not feature at 8. Also said they will not be calling anyone else up, but then went onto mentioning Seb Davies in training but he hasn't been officially called up? Expect anything from this team selection to be honest.

Amos haa great hands and a really good rugby brain. He is quick and would be a blisteringly fast 13 but he is a little slow for an international wing.

He would do a better job than North at 13 as his defence is bettee due to his time at 15.

McBryde mentioned that Hill might feature in the back row at some point but also they only consider Wainwright a 6/7 so he probably will not feature at 8. Also said they will not be calling anyone else up, but then went onto mentioning Seb Davies in training but he hasn't been officially called up? Expect anything from this team selection to be honest.

Yeah just read the beeb article stating that Seb could be called up and doesn't surprise me. They (the mgmt team) will want to give our starting back row a rest before SA.

Also, while everyone seems averse to Seb being converted to 8 the mgmt team seem intent on it and... when else are they gonna try it before the world cup?

Maybe Italy... but Tonga a week before SA seems the most likely.

Gatland has already said he plans to make up to fifteen changes! Expect a narrow ans scrappy win against these 'minnows' again then.

Wales: Jonah Holmes; Liam Williams, Tyler Morgan, Owen Watkin, Steff Evans; Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Elliot Dee, Leon Brown, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Aaron Wainwright, Ellis Jenkins (capt), Seb Davies.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Rob Evans, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Ross Moriarty, Aled Davies, Rhys Patchell, Josh Adams.

Happy with the forwards on the whole, glad to see Wainwright get his chance. Seb Davies at 8 though............................. Bench looks decent as well, it's the backs which I have a few issues with though. Tomos Williams getting a start is good as well as Watkins. However I don't see the point of Biggar starting 10, we all know what he can do and I would rather Patchell get some game time with Evans on the bench. I can only assume this is because Biggar will start the SA game. It's a big ask for two young players inTyler Morgan and Watkins to come together for one game and gel, saying that though Wales have seemingly refused to attack so far in the AIs so expect a lot of kicks anyways. Bit gutted for luke morgan though, not really his fault for lack of touches in the Scotland game and he doesn't get a chance to rectify it. I expect a very scrappy game with Wales winning by less than 7, I will be there as well so probably going to need to get the beers in to get through it.

I imagine they don't want to rush patch in after so many weeks out?

I'm quite happy with the team either way! All of the youngsters have had exposure at this level already and are playing regularly for their clubs / regions. Get that Watkins and Morgan might take time to gel, but Biggar's experience at 10 should help!

Latest posts