• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs Tonga (17/11/18)

Pretty much as expected... Will undoubtedly be a tough game with so many new combinations etc but if any game before the world cup is worth experimenting in its this one (Same for England with their game against japan).

A lot of interesting subplots in how the new boys will go against a decent Tonga outfit. The back row, the centres and 15 in particular.

Does Tyler Morgan still have the potential there to be the world beater he was cracked up to be during his breakout years? Injuries have wrecked him and they still seem to be hoping he isnt actually made of glass.

I really hope Tomos W and Watkin have absolute stormers to force Gats hand with the 1st 15. I think Wales should run away in the last 20 after a tough hour.

Glad Wyn Jones has a start. I think he is the best prop we have.

After a few games getting back into his stride he does look pretty good but then seems to get injured for another couple of months. I reckon he had the potential to push for a starting place but as you said injures have curtailed his career now. He will be another Beck, have a few fantastic moments but they are far between periods of missed games.

Does Tyler Morgan still have the potential there to be the world beater he was cracked up to be during his breakout years? Injuries have wrecked him and they still seem to be hoping he isnt actually made of glass.

I really hope Tomos W and Watkin have absolute stormers to force Gats hand with the 1st 15. I think Wales should run away in the last 20 after a tough hour.

Glad Wyn Jones has a start. I think he is the best prop we have.
After a few games getting back into his stride he does look pretty good but then seems to get injured for another couple of months. I reckon he had the potential to push for a starting place but as you said injures have curtailed his career now. He will be another Beck, have a few fantastic moments but they are far between periods of missed games.

He's just recently got diagnosed with diabetes, the treatment of which has caused him to miss most of the early season. When he's fit he is absolutely lightning for a centre and he's a decent size for his age too... as you both suggested, it's all about a consistent amount of high quality rugby now and remaining fit throughout.

He 'could' be the long term replacement for the Fox in a couple of years.

I dont think he will replace foxy. Im not sure he will hold together enough. Garyn Smith looks like a half decent 13 coming through with similar skills.

I hope he proves me wrong as 12/13 is a really shallow pool. I do think Amos will be our 13 in a few years time but whos to say foxy cant go till the next WC?!?!

I dont think he will replace foxy. Im not sure he will hold together enough. Garyn Smith looks like a half decent 13 coming through with similar skills.

I hope he proves me wrong as 12/13 is a really shallow pool. I do think Amos will be our 13 in a few years time but whos to say foxy cant go till the next WC?!?!

I'm not saying he will just 'could'... his defence would have to improve drastically as well as being able to sustain games without getting injured.

I agree on Amos, I rate him highly but haven't seen enough of him at 13 yet... think he looks very promising at 15 more so than on the wing, hopefully he'll get the majority of this season at outside centre to gain experience in time for the World Cup.

I also want to see Owen Lane get some time at centre this season for the Blues, think that is where he should end up playing the majority of his career.

I'd like to see Owen Lane given a fair crack in the centre.

Bushytop beat me to it....

I'd like to see Owen Lane given a fair crack in the centre.

Bushytop beat me to it....

Is the better than Halaholo or Smith though. At this point in time almost definately not but there really arent any wingers forcing him inside either. The Blues depth chart is really holding him out wide as he is a shoe in to start out wide when fit.

Is the better than Halaholo or Smith though. At this point in time almost definately not but there really arent any wingers forcing him inside either. The Blues depth chart is really holding him out wide as he is a shoe in to start out wide when fit.

I'm not as convinced by Smith as you... I think he had a more than decent game on the wing in the Challenge Cup final and if I remember rightly he played at 13 against Lyon this season and did well but I haven't seen enough to make a judgement. The majority of the games I've watched over the last few seasons, HalaLelo has been the partnership (& almost always impressed me). Hope your right about him as we can do with another centre ready to breakthrough.

Yeah, not convinced with Smith either. Nor am I convinced with Haloholo (because he's eligible for Wales after the WC). He's got the complete package, but he drifts in and out of games.

With potentially half his career still left to play, North could move into centre still. There's a lot of talent available for Wales out wide (maybe more when McNicholl qualifies), so he could move in if/when JD2 starts to show signs of slowing. For this to happen though, the Ospreys would need to give him a season at 13 for him to build his defensive game.

Yeah, not convinced with Smith either. Nor am I convinced with Haloholo (because he's eligible for Wales after the WC). He's got the complete package, but he drifts in and out of games.

With potentially half his career still left to play, North could move into centre still. There's a lot of talent available for Wales out wide (maybe more when McNicholl qualifies), so he could move in if/when JD2 starts to show signs of slowing. For this to happen though, the Ospreys would need to give him a season at 13 for him to build his defensive game.

Yeah I've always thought North a natural fit for 13 but when ever it's been tried I've been surprised by the lack of potential he's demonstrated there. Probably being a bit unfair as he would probably need a run of games to get the feel for the position and as you said that would have to come at the O's before it could be seriously considered for Wales.

While Halaholo impresses me for the Blues his age at qualification (29) means he would be nothing more than a stop-gap between World Cups anyway, so I am not seeing the answer there either.

As it currently stands I think Watkin is the clear heir apparent to one of the spots (not sure which as he as impressed me at both 12 & 13) and the other would end up with one of North, Morgan, Lane or Amos. The worrying thing is that three of those four have played nearly all of their senior rugby in a different position. This is a classic example of where the WRU need to be asking the regions (nicely) if they can start giving specific boys time in specific positions.

Just read an interesting little 'superstitious' nugget on the beeb:

Eddie Butler: There's part two of an agreement to honour here, following a pact with the rugby spirits of the Blorenge Mountain. Wales to beat Australia in exchange for defeat to Tonga. A deal is a deal, isn't it?

"To be honest, it wouldn't do Wales any harm to lose a riot of a game by 45 points to 44.

"It would ease the pressure that's mounting with this sequence, seven-long, of victories. Keep the fever down.

"So, here's to Tonga. It shouldn't happen and probably won't. Wales a bit scrappily by 15 points, logic says. But a deal's a deal."

The victory being so psychologically important over Oz, I'd have probably took this going into the game last week.

Yet again a tier 1 nation getting the refs favour .

Dan biggar, getting away with murder.
No use of arms entering the ruck,
In from the side
Off his feet
And playing the ball.

Ref was quick to give out a yellow card to Tonga but nothing for that. Pathetic

What a try

Randy-ectoplasm.jpg

What an impact Patchell has made. Wales look like a different attacking beast with him on the pitch. Biggar had a decent game, but Patchell is more of a running and passing threat.

Latest posts