2018 NZ Super Rugby Squads

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
Cant believe we havent already got one of these...

blues-squad-for-2018-8b93bc4f.jpg

chiefs-squad-for-2018-96213526.jpg

crusaders-squad-for-2018-1-9a50e5f8.jpg

highlanders-squad-for-2018-1e65daf6.jpg

hurricanes-squad-for-2018-29343f5c.jpg

I'm not unhappy with the highlanders, i think last year we actually had too much competition in the midfield to really bed down the best combo, would like to see Thompson and Faddes get a run together, Rob to break the line and put the fastest balding white man in world rugby away

also very happy to see Josh Ioane get the call up, interesting Mauger has said (i think) they see him as more of a utility player which means F Smith is the first five cover...but for otago it was the exact opposite, smith played much more and fullback and Ioane at first five, hope they don't try and force these guys to change a combo they've been working on for the last couple of months

really think we dropped the ball letting Ruru get away (to the blues), he was a bright spark to an otherwise pretty average otago season

Very disappointed with the Chiefs squad.

How did we not get either Delany or Donald? McKenzie is in his first full season at 10 and Falcon has only just finished his first year of provincial rugby - we need an experience first five to back them up and we end up with Marty McKenzie?? He's not even the top 10 at Taranaki. Would have loved to pick up someone like Will Jordan too, but it isn't to be.

I'm not expecting great stuff with Cooper if this is an indication of anything.

will also be interesting to see the wider training groups

Who are peoples picks for this season? I think it will look like this;

Crusaders
Hurricanes
Highlanders
Blues
Chiefs

Who are peoples picks for this season? I think it will look like this;

Crusaders
Hurricanes
Highlanders
Blues
Chiefs

Looks pretty good to me. I think the Chiefs will be ok if they don't have any injuries. I don't trust Colin Cooper's selections.

Chiefs squad simply isn't good enough. Mckenzie can carry a team in some situations but he and Ngatai are so critial to the backline. And if Ngatai is at 15 who plays 12?
TNW is gone for the season already.
It was silly not to sign Donald, he was excellent covering 12 last season and looked particularly good towards the end. As stated Delany would have been a good option too.

Crusaders are clearly #1 the squad is so well balanced
The Canes, Blues and highlanders will be very close. I really don't see much between them.
The blues will be better this year but they need to figure out how to beat other NZ sides again... And not drop easy games they should win.
The chiefs pack is fine they are just missing some key personal in the backs. Despite having McKenzie who will once again be one of the best players in the competition.
But that is enough to really stifle them compared to the other NZ squads which are top shelf.
Also I don't think cooper is up to being a truly great super rugby coach.

Chiefs squad simply isn't good enough. Mckenzie can carry a team in some situations but he and Ngatai are so critial to the backline. And if Ngatai is at 15 who plays 12?
TNW is gone for the season already.
It was silly not to sign Donald, he was excellent covering 12 last season and looked particularly good towards the end. As stated Delany would have been a good option too.

Crusaders are clearly #1 the squad is so well balanced
The Canes, Blues and highlanders will be very close. I really don't see much between them.
The blues will be better this year but they need to figure out how to beat other NZ sides again... And not drop easy games they should win.
The chiefs pack is fine they are just missing some key personal in the backs. Despite having McKenzie who will once again be one of the best players in the competition.
But that is enough to really stifle them compared to the other NZ squads which are top shelf.
Also I don't think cooper is up to being a truly great super rugby coach.

And lo and behold, it looks like Cooper is now going to bring Declan O'Donnell into the squad to replace TNW. How many average Taranaki players are we going to bulk up the squad with? Hoeata, Fa'auli, Marty McKenzie, Wainui, O'Donnell - now of these guys would be in the squad if Cooper wasn't in charge.

And lo and behold, it looks like Cooper is now going to bring Declan O'Donnell into the squad to replace TNW. How many average Taranaki players are we going to bulk up the squad with? Hoeata, Fa'auli, Marty McKenzie, Wainui, O'Donnell - now of these guys would be in the squad if Cooper wasn't in charge.

yeah I think its a recipe for disaster. Also finlay christie was let go for taranaki halfback TTT. I really rated Christie, I think hes a future All Black and it should have been one of the top priorities to keep him with TKB leaving.

IT could also be a symptom of Cooper just not having the player drawing power to keep/recruit top players... Players wanted to be at the chiefs with Renee and Smith involved. I just dont think players that have options are going to choose to be in coopers chiefs squad.

Latest posts