• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 2: New Zealand v Australia (25/08/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
SxGOCQa.png

Venue: Eden Park
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

When should NZ start trying new players out. I think they've got to next week and definitely the Argentina game. Frizell should get a start also like to see Squire at 8, see him as the back up rather than Whitelock. The 7 standard substitution positions are well known but not the 80 minute guys.

I'd love to see Australia stick it up to the ABs, but realistically it would have happened last week instead of in this game. Can't see anything other than NZ by 20+.

This one being at Eden Park I don't see Wallabies having a chance. Not with Pooper and lack of balance in the pack. I really don't like the Pooper any more and this just gives Wallabies a numerical disadvantage at the line out with just 3 jumpers. Not much has improved since the RWC final.
I think also they've lacked a ball carrying number 8 since Palu retired. Not seen enough of Timu but maybe he could come in at 8. Simmons to come in for one of the locks to call the lineout. But that doesn't answer the throwing in by TPN or Latu. Who was the hooker who played all 3 tests v Ireland?

Cheika seems to have his favourites from his days at the Tahs whom he just won't drop like Hooper who was blowing after 50 mins in the first test and seems undroppable as he is captain. I think Foley is also problem at 10 and as long as he's there along with no go forward ball the Wallabies will continue to struggle v ABs.

For ABs Will be interesting to see who comes in for Reiko? Back to Jordie to 15 and Smith to right wing? Or maybe NMS to right wing and shift Naholo to left wing. Laumape to come and cover 23 shirt. Otherwise ABs don't need many changes.

cmon ABs. smash them and put the bled to bed for another season.
NMS for reiko

ABs by 30+.

Two Australians watching to switch off at half time. At a party meself so can't participate in my regular weekly self flagellation.

goodhue and ALB in as 13 and 12

Last edited:
have to say if the AB's get off to a flying start I dread to think what the score could be. the Wallabies have to make changes, Hooper shouldn't play because he looked way off the pace last week. I would actually keep Maddocks at 15 because he looked OK when he came off the bench. I would maybe put Toomua at number 10 instead of Foley who looked poor last week. I think i'd bring Samu into the back row instead of Hooper because he can add some impact. would bring in Taniela Tupou at prop if he's fit. finally i'd bring Simmons into the 2nd row to get a bit of organization into the Aussie line-out. not sure about changing the hookers around because they were both as bad as each other at the weekend. if the Wallabies are to have even a slim chance they have to sort their set-piece out.

Anyone know why some of the ABs have black plastic looking bands around the torso of their jerseys?

ALL BLACKS:

Jordie Barrett, Ben Smith, Jack Goodhue, Ngani Laumape, Waisake Naholo,, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Kieran Read (capt), Sam Cane, Liam Squire, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody.

Reserves:

Nathan Harris, Karl Tu'inukuake, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Damian McKenzie, Anton Lienert-Brown

Interesting to see Laumape straight in over ALB. Disappointed to see Barrett in at 15 rather than slotting DMac in there and giving Mo'unga a run off the bench.

Personally would have preferred NMS to come in on the right wing. Still love his side step. Maybe still needs a couple more Mitre 10 Cup matches under his belt before AB selectors will pick him. No doubt they are keen on Jordie at 15, but not the expense of Smith pushed to the right wing imo.

Still frightening how much depth ABs have in their backs, it's their pack which is so formidable and not surprisingly remains unchanged; basically the 5 of the Crusaders pack plus Squire, Cane and Rettalick

Brodie was a complete beast in Bledisloe 1 - in the scrum, lineout, breakdown and still had the gas to hang out on the wing, throw that dummy and score a try. Maro can only watch this guy play and aspire to that standard.

Will be the interesting to see how much Cheika changes the Wallabies line up. Certainly one or two in the pack - one of the front row and second row, as at least two will pay for the scrum and lineout woes. Who will replace Folau - Haylett-Petty or Beale back to Full back with Toomua to 12?

Still no Tupou.

Hamstring injury he suffered just before B1. Grade 1 takes at least a couple of weeks to recover from, so not surprising he misses out.

TPN retains his place, but Latu gets dropped. Both starting locks retained. Will Be interesting to see if the Wallabies lineout woes have been sorted.

Haylett Petty to full back is a good move as he's more comfortable there than wing and has a big boot and a better kicker than Folau. Maddocks to wing.

Last edited:
Hamstring injury he suffered just before B1. Grade 1 takes at least a couple of weeks to recover from, so not surprising he misses out.

TPN retains his place, but Latu gets dropped. Both starting locks retained. Will Be interesting to see if the Wallabies lineout woes have been sorted.

Haylett Petty to full back is a good move as he's more comfortable there than wing and has a big boot and a better kicker than Folau. Maddocks to wing.
Who knows what caused it. It's probably coaching more so than players. How does essentially the same team go toe to toe with Ireland (scrum was stronger at points) suddenly lose 8 of their own throws and get destroyed in the scrum (bodgy reffing aside)?

Last edited:
Who knows what caused it. It's probably coaching more so than players. How does essentially the same team go toe to toe with Ireland (scrum was stronger at points) suddenly lose 8 of their own throws and get destroyed in the scrum (bodgy reffing aside)?

You talking about the line out or the scrum?

For lineout - Nick Bishop former analyst for Sir Graham Henry gives his insight in the roar.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/22/how-the-guzzler-chowed-down-on-the-wallaby-lineout-at-sydney/

But going by what he said it's fixable. Coleman should probably move to the middle of the lineout when calling his own ball. Speed off of the ground is crucial and Brodie and Sam are tall, fast to get up and got the reading of the Wallaby ball spot on. A lethal combo come lineout time. And that's not including Read.

Scrum is another story. I saw Franks flat on his face after the first few scrums and Peyper called it against Robertson for not binding properly. Kepu also got pinged and turned over in the scrum. Wallabies replacement props were no better. And then you got to look at who was pushing behind them, particularly the tighthead lock - was it Coleman or Rodda? Did well v Ireland but not in B1.

Sio returning should help. Not seen much of Alaatoa before B1.

Last edited:
You talking about the line out or the scrum?

For lineout - Nick Bishop former analyst for Sir Graham Henry gives his insight in the roar.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/22/how-the-guzzler-chowed-down-on-the-wallaby-lineout-at-sydney/

Scrum is another story. I saw Franks flat on his face after the first few scrums and Peyper called it against Robertson for not binding properly. Kepu also got pinged and turned over in the scrum. Wallabies replacement props were no better. And then you got to look at who was pushing behind them, particularly the tighthead lock - was it Coleman or Rodda? Did well v Ireland but not in B1.
Both but ye. The fall off was stark.

The last time each team beat the All Blacks in NZ:

British & Irish Lions - 2017 (Wellington)
South Africa - 2009 (Hamilton)
France - 2009 (Dunedin)
England - 2003 (Wellington)
Australia - 2001 (Dunedin)
World XV - 1992 (Christchurch)

And at Eden Park:

(draw) British & Irish Lions - 2017
(draw) South Africa - 1994
France - 1994
Australia - 1986
England - 1973
British & Irish Lions - 1959
South Africa - 1937

If Australia win this, they move back up to 3rd in the world.

Latest posts