• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 3: New Zealand v Argentina (08/09/2018)

Famously it says the opposite, lions test last year, lions players jumps to catch a wayward pass and is tackled by Charlie famuina who is then penalised for tackling a player in the air...madness
Rocky Elsom got pinged for jumping into a tackle. I think jumping to catch the ball is slightly greyer.

Famously it says the opposite, lions test last year, lions players jumps to catch a wayward pass and is tackled by Charlie famuina who is then penalised for tackling a player in the air...madness
Rocky Elsom got pinged for jumping into a tackle. I think jumping to catch the ball is slightly greyer.

really? what was the actual infringement? just "dangerous play"?

guess u missed the lions series then pal

good attacking game from the pumas but our boys had too much mana, go blacks
I love how you have one famous decision go against you and then you wheel out as if it isn't the exception that proves the rule. Everyone else has to deal with it multiple times a match against you lot.

I love how you have one famous decision go against you and then you wheel out as if it isn't the exception that proves the rule. Everyone else has to deal with it multiple times a match against you lot.

Does someone need their mummy?

'Mummy, the All Blacks are picking on us again'
'Mummy its not fair, I want the All Blacks toys'
'Mummy the refs take it so easy on the All Blacks'
'Mummy I dont want the All Blacks to win another Rugby Championship'
'Mummy I dont want the All Blacks to win another World Cup'
'Mummy I dont want the All Blacks to be the best side on the planet for another 100+ years'

Really? Perhaps you would prefer for the referees to apply the Laws inconsistently?

Personally, I would prefer the "tackle in the air" laws to only apply when player is jumping to catch a kick directly (as in, "on the full") from the kick of either an opponent or a team-mate. IMO, they should not apply to players jumping to catch a pass, or a bouncing ball

Really? Perhaps you would prefer for the referees to apply the Laws inconsistently?

Personally, I would prefer the "tackle in the air" laws to only apply when player is jumping to catch a kick directly (as in, "on the full") from the kick of either an opponent or a team-mate. IMO, they should not apply to players jumping to catch a pass, or a bouncing ball
I was referring to the AB breakdown shenanigans in that particular quote. Not the jumping issue. I agree with your interpretation of the rule otherwise.

I think NMS has had his day, he is skilled but too slow plus that glaring defensive error for the first try.
I had picked Solomon Alaimalo in my squad, he'll be there one day. Maybe Hanson sticking with experience for WC.

The WHOLE series was refereed poorly, for both teams. All 3 refs got caught up with the occasion as did the AB players to an extent - they had the 2005 glory on their mind, not the game at hand.
NZ were far from their best and the Lions were as good as they could be, which was helped by poor reffing slowing things down.

The WHOLE series was refereed poorly, for both teams. All 3 refs got caught up with the occasion as did the AB players to an extent - they had the 2005 glory on their mind, not the game at hand.
NZ were far from their best and the Lions were as good as they could be, which was helped by poor reffing slowing things down.
Lol, not even close.

Lol, not even close.

I wonder if you guys actually watch and understand rugby at all. Lions could have been better, All Blacks are certainly far better now. The truth is two teams can only play as good as the opposite team contains/ allows them. It was a bloody good series where the Lions were gifted a victory by the ref for a highly dubious penalty. The All Blacks had a very strange penalty reversed by a ref in the third test that should have never been reversed ever and it resulted in a drawn match and a drawn series. At the end of the day the result was fair. I dare say this current All Blacks edition would beat the lions fairly easy.

I would like to see the Rugby Championship replaced with a tri-series

All Blacks
British and Irish Lions
Rest of the world

Now that would be a more even contest and extremely interesting to watch. I just feel there is no teams left who can challenge the All Blacks anymore.

I wonder if you guys actually watch and understand rugby at all. Lions could have been better, All Blacks are certainly far better now. The truth is two teams can only play as good as the opposite team contains/ allows them. It was a bloody good series where the Lions were gifted a victory by the ref for a highly dubious penalty. The All Blacks had a very strange penalty reversed by a ref in the third test that should have never been reversed ever and it resulted in a drawn match and a drawn series. At the end of the day the result was fair. I dare say this current All Blacks edition would beat the lions fairly easy.

All Blacks
British and Irish Lions
Rest of the world

Now that would be a more even contest and extremely interesting to watch. I just feel there is no teams left who can challenge the All Blacks anymore.

Reality says we'll never know and now have to wait at least another 11 years for the next series. Different set of players on both sides. Maybe Maro for the Lions could survive- but he'd be at what 34.

Can't really remember it was ages ago, but he tried to jump over a player when near the try line and he got pulled up.

Vaea Fifita hurdled Piers Francis a couple of years ago for Counties Manakau with no repercussions. It was a clean jump straight over as Francis was crouched to make the tackle. If he'd stood up he would've taken a boot to the face, but it's not like there's any comfortable ways to tackle Fifita at full noise.

All Blacks
British and Irish Lions
Rest of the world

There arent and that is why international rugby is on its arse and sinking further into the mud by the day.

Vaea Fifita hurdled Piers Francis a couple of years ago for Counties Manakau with no repercussions. It was a clean jump straight over as Francis was crouched to make the tackle. If he'd stood up he would've taken a boot to the face, but it's not like there's any comfortable ways to tackle Fifita at full noise.

I think that was so 'out of the blue' that the ref didn't know what to do. Had never considered it. I'd never seen anything like it before and it took me a while for my brain to clog from 'holy crap!' to 'wait, that's probably illegal?'

I think that was so 'out of the blue' that the ref didn't know what to do. Had never considered it. I'd never seen anything like it before and it took me a while for my brain to clog from 'holy crap!' to 'wait, that's probably illegal?'

This is NPC - players are always coming up with creative half cooked ideas on the edge of the law. It's the referees job to call them on it if they're not lawful, thus anything out of the ordinary should be scrutinised even more.
I reckon he just didn't think it was illegal.

Latest posts