• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 4: New Zealand v South Africa (15/09/2018)

Population: Everyone not a kiwi

South Africa played very well, some of their tries were absolute worldies.
Said it before but world rugby is better for having a strong springbok side and a genuine competitor for the ABs
If the international rugby community wants a strong Springboks then there must be constant opposition to the racial politics and quotas in the sport. Just yesterday COSATU (part of the tripartite alliance with the ANC and the SA communist party) weighed with their racist agenda:

Cape Town - The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) has taken a swipe at Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus, suggesting that he is giving preferential treatment to white players.

The Boks are currently in New Zealand where they are preparing for Saturday's Rugby Championship encounter against the All Blacks in Wellington.

Erasmus is under pressure after back-to-back losses against Argentina (32-19, Mendoza) and Australia (23-18, Brisbane) and Cosatu has upped the pressure from a political standpoint.

Via a press statement released on Thursday, Cosatu said it was "speaking on behalf of many rugby players in South Africa who are enraged by the choices made by Rassie" for Saturday's Test.

The statement continues: "Rassie has been treating the black Springbok players as second class this entire year. His starting line-up for Saturday is a reversal to white preference players, which exposes his attitude towards black players."

Erasmus' 23-man squad for the Test at the Westpac Stadium is the 'whitest' he's selected in what will be his eighth match at the helm.

The squad features eight players of colour - or 35%.

Players of colour in the starting team are Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Aphiwe Dyantyi and captain Siya Kolisi.

On the bench the players of colour are Bongi Mbonambi, Tendai "Beast" Mtawarira, Elton Jantjies and Cheslin Kolbe.

Cosatu was also upset at Erasmus' decision to substitute hooker Mbonambi after 35 minutes in last weekend's Test against Australia.

"The white players are given special places in the Springbok team ahead of the form black players. Francois Louw has been playing poorly, Handre Pollard has been playing poorly, and Willie le Roux has been playing poorly. Scrumhalf Faf de Klerk has been playing poorly, yet they are not substituted when there are talented form players on the bench. Mbonambi is substituted on 35 minutes which is entirely irrational and designed to undermine him. Many black players when they do get a chance on the field are played out of their positions, to deny them the prospect to bring their best skills."

Cosatu added that Erasmus was struggling juggling two jobs of SA Rugby's director of rugby and that of Springbok head coach.

"Rassie clearly cannot do both the jobs but wants to keep the director of rugby position in case he fails as the coach. He has been erratic in his choices and his game plan, refusing to take responsibility for not giving players and combinations a decent chance to build partnerships. Cosatu is raising this concern with SARU before it gets worse and embarrasses the whole country so that decisive action can be taken. Whilst Cosatu would encourage South Africans to support the Springboks, Rassie is pushing black South Africans away from the team with his discriminatory attitude and actions," the statement concluded.

Source: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Rug...-at-rassies-too-white-springbok-side-20180914

This meddling from the government and it's mouth pieces like COSATU needs to stop. We didn't hear a peep from them when we lost 57-0 because a 'black' coach was in charge and that's all that matters to them.

That article is a whole load of bull. The only decent point in there is that Francois Louw has been playing poorly.

If the international rugby community wants a strong Springboks then there must be constant opposition to the racial politics and quotas in the sport. Just yesterday COSATU (part of the tripartite alliance with the ANC and the SA communist party) weighed with their racist agenda:

Cape Town - The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) has taken a swipe at Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus, suggesting that he is giving preferential treatment to white players.

The Boks are currently in New Zealand where they are preparing for Saturday's Rugby Championship encounter against the All Blacks in Wellington.

Erasmus is under pressure after back-to-back losses against Argentina (32-19, Mendoza) and Australia (23-18, Brisbane) and Cosatu has upped the pressure from a political standpoint.

Via a press statement released on Thursday, Cosatu said it was "speaking on behalf of many rugby players in South Africa who are enraged by the choices made by Rassie" for Saturday's Test.

The statement continues: "Rassie has been treating the black Springbok players as second class this entire year. His starting line-up for Saturday is a reversal to white preference players, which exposes his attitude towards black players."

Erasmus' 23-man squad for the Test at the Westpac Stadium is the 'whitest' he's selected in what will be his eighth match at the helm.

Players of colour in the starting team are Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Aphiwe Dyantyi and captain Siya Kolisi.

On the bench the players of colour are Bongi Mbonambi, Tendai "Beast" Mtawarira, Elton Jantjies and Cheslin Kolbe.

Cosatu was also upset at Erasmus' decision to substitute hooker Mbonambi after 35 minutes in last weekend's Test against Australia.

"The white players are given special places in the Springbok team ahead of the form black players. Francois Louw has been playing poorly, Handre Pollard has been playing poorly, and Willie le Roux has been playing poorly. Scrumhalf Faf de Klerk has been playing poorly, yet they are not substituted when there are talented form players on the bench. Mbonambi is substituted on 35 minutes which is entirely irrational and designed to undermine him. Many black players when they do get a chance on the field are played out of their positions, to deny them the prospect to bring their best skills."

Cosatu added that Erasmus was struggling juggling two jobs of SA Rugby's director of rugby and that of Springbok head coach.

"Rassie clearly cannot do both the jobs but wants to keep the director of rugby position in case he fails as the coach. He has been erratic in his choices and his game plan, refusing to take responsibility for not giving players and combinations a decent chance to build partnerships. Cosatu is raising this concern with SARU before it gets worse and embarrasses the whole country so that decisive action can be taken. Whilst Cosatu would encourage South Africans to support the Springboks, Rassie is pushing black South Africans away from the team with his discriminatory attitude and actions," the statement concluded.

Source: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Rug...-at-rassies-too-white-springbok-side-20180914

This meddling from the government and it's mouth pieces like COSATU needs to stop. We didn't hear a peep from them when we lost 57-0 because a 'black' coach was in charge and that's all that matters to them.

There will probably be an outcry by your black masters about "beating" the all "blacks" as being a racist slur and result now.

Now that my nerves have calmed down, my thoughts on the match...

This performance is typical of previous victories over the ABs. A physical, defensive grind that halts their momentum and causes them to make mistakes. Even with this mammoth effort from the Boks the ABs were still very good. Solid scrum, solid line out, annoyingly good rolling maul and it felt like they could take it at any moment.
The Boks simply capitalised when they got a sniff and massive credit to their finishing tonight.
I really like Nigel but tonight he could have cost us the match with some harsh calls. Thankfully we did win because it's never good when the ref is under the spotlight. No big mistakes but just a lot of small ones that added up.
Whiteley had a massive match and he certainly proved me wrong. Dyantyi was class and he forced MacKenzie into the knock-on right at the end with an unmarked Ben Smith outside him. This match was literally inches away from a different result.

It's funny... When Barrett lined up for his first kick and I saw his kicking percentages I thought to myself "one day he is going to cost them in a close match". Little did I know that day was today! The difference between him and Carter is that Carter was a goal kicking robot.

i Like this part "Cosatu is raising this concern with SARU before it gets worse and embarrasses the whole country so that decisive action can be taken" then a few days later we beat the AB in NZ for the first time since 2009 , such an embarrassment.

Just watched the 2nd half. Had been fully expecting to see the Blacks pull away as usual. What do I know?

Well done the Boks. Nice to have you back.

Owens had a shocker (actually not that shocking as he's lost it some time back IMO) - he did everything he could to give the ABs a win.

Solid SA, congratulations and deserved winners.

Two shocking performances from refs in a single day. I think it's time for WR to do something about this.

May the gods bless the boks for this victory, they just won this for the rest of us.

I think Hansen may be too stubborn, Barrett has already cost him games and, while he's still their best 10 option, it hasn't stopped Hansen making very little effort to entice guys like Sopoanga and Cruden to stay. 10 could end up being a problem position for NZ, I'm not convinced Barrett is a great player once he's pit under any sort of pressure and kicking is a part of that. Add to that that his two deputies in case of injury are an undersized* 15 playing 10 and a guy without anywhere near enough experience.

*An outstanding undersized player but more prudent sides will still take advantage.

Full agreed. Hansen thinks he has it all work out and is over-confident. He said "He said Richie Mo'unga's is playing behind a Rolls-Royce pack in Crusaders in Super Ruby. So if I applied the same logic Barret is playing well because the ALL BLACKS a Rolls-Royce pack. "

The Barret brothers caused the ABs to lose the game today. No 10 & 15

Last edited:
I was referring to the two missed conversions 4 easy points. Should have made it 31 points but for some inexplicable reason Barrett hurried his kick and hit the post. Then hit the post again for the second one at 34 points.
I understand, i just disagree. Even with those 4 missed conversions the all blacks had enough chances to turn the game around.

The following reasons caused ABS to lose the game

1) Boks were more hungry to win
2) Hansen stubbornness
3) The selection of No 15
4) The whole team include Coaching team were over confident

I been waiting for a long time for this. I am glad ABs lose this game now instead of World Cup. But what a shame to lose home game. I think the last time they lost a home game to Boks was 2009.

This is a wake up call for ABS especially so for HANSEN. I AM SO HAPPY IT HAPPENS NOW BEFORE THE WORLD CUP.

And I don't like the idea of keep special privileges for SBW. Every single player that plays and train hard should be given the same treatment.

France have surely had the odd win as well, but certainly the Lions have

Nice to see more than a little unpredictability in the championship again. Crowds look way down in Oz and SA so having the tournament not mathematically decided after the third round for a change will hopefully help regain interest.

I understand, i just disagree. Even with those 4 missed conversions the all blacks had enough chances to turn the game around.

But ultimately made the difference to the scoreboard in the end. For all Beauden's mercurial gifts scoring those tries when there's half a gap, he's not as complete as DC in my book when it comes to keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

We will have to beat Argentina at Velez Sarsfield in two weeks time if we want to win the RC because we'll get handed our arses at Loftus the week after if we play like that again

Latest posts