• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 6: South Africa v New Zealand (06/10/2018)

Well those tactics also stopped NZ from getting into a scoring position. So while you say it might not have worked, the scoreboard told a different story. There's not many tests where the AB's are tryless for an entire half.

I think the key to beating the AB's is to be as fit, if not fitter than them, and be able to defend for the full 80. the other tactics will work themselves out depending on the personnel you have available.
Agree, but SA came out with the right aggression and mindset but the final piece of the game plan went missing. They had ALL the ball so NZ would have been more than happy at half time - weirdly SA tries came from opportunistic plays almost against the run of play!

Well those tactics also stopped NZ from getting into a scoring position. So while you say it might not have worked, the scoreboard told a different story. There's not many tests where the AB's are tryless for an entire half.

I think the key to beating the AB's is to be as fit, if not fitter than them, and be able to defend for the full 80. the other tactics will work themselves out depending on the personnel you have available.
Agree, but SA came out with the right aggression and mindset but the final piece of the game plan went missing. They had ALL the ball so NZ would have been more than happy at half time - weirdly SA tries came from opportunistic plays almost against the run of play!

any1 else reckon the aus game in Hong Kong is a little bit of a bridge too far? the guys are pretty knackered then we gotta go to Japan, England, Ireland then finish up in Italy. that's a massive tour

at least it gives us a chance to run out heaps of the young fellas and fringe guys and get them some experience in the black jersey aye

Todd is a leader and one of the best opensides in the world. has to be one of the unluckiest players in the world in regards to international duty
There is.no Hong Kong game.

Both the Aus test and Japan test are in Japan, if that makes much difference.

Do any other NZ supporters read the tripe that is Player Ratings on the NZ news sites? I don't know why I do as it does nothing but wind me up! The writers manage to give 'assessments' of all 23 players within 30 minutes of the game. How can they possibly watch everything first time around?

I think because after last year SA were criticised for keeping the starters on too long, including Marx who missed the crucial tackle for McKenzie's match winner due to tiredness
And that's a great point and something I did mention earlier. Marx just goes through a lot of work and squatting down and then using all those muscles to pull the ball back outta there, it takes a lot of energy.

He's wrong. You can clean out past the ball as long as the player you are cleaning is in the breakdown and/or over the ball.

What you can't do is run/walk/drive through or around the tackle and clean out players who are behind the breakdown.

Yes, I think that's what Mallet was saying that the ABs were cleaning past the ball at the point of contact at the ruck then taking out the Springbok player, who was in the breakdown at the same time; and the support player was immediately picking the ball to go around the corner. So it was very difficult to call obstruction.
Whereas the Boks were just cleaning out over the ball and not taking out AB players.

Unless you're saying ABs were clearing out illegally.;)

Video of Mallet's point from around 5mins and 25secs in below video.

There is.no Hong Kong game.

Both the Aus test and Japan test are in Japan, if that makes much difference.

cheers, i just guessed it was there because in the past we've played Aus there a few times

does make a bit of difference, any less travel is good for the boys

just another note, how much we missed Brodie and value his qualities was on full display in the two Bok tests, he's probably the best lock ever

just another note, how much we missed Brodie and value his qualities was on full display in the two Bok tests, he's probably the best lock ever
Quite a few of our top guns returning from injury for the EOYT. The ones I can remember are Brodie and Dane Coles.

good to have Colesy back, but boy Taylor has been immense, i think we should still start Taylor and ease Dane back in
I say Marx is the best hooker in the world right now but I could not argue with anyone that thinks these two are. Colesy scores tries that only Keith Wood probably could and Taylor has just been instrumental in a lot of our offence. Totally agree with you.

Was at the game. Was pretty gutted with how it all ended but it was a great game to watch live and the team played well in the loss. Good to see some good progression over the year.

One thing that caught my attention though for the wrong reasons though was the Same Cane injury. He was on the ground for a while and it clearly was a neck injury, but when they brought on the golf cart to take him off safely for a neck injury, the team doctor refused it and made it out that it was a concussion test injury in case he could come back on the field (granted, I am judging this from the actions I could see from the sideline, but he clearly refused the cart and made a motion of knocking his head with his hand). Sam Cane then walked off the field with a broken neck, because the team doctor was looking out for the team's best interests of potentially getting him back on the field rather than taking the injury seriously. Player safety should always be the main concern in these situations.

He'll most likely get the nod because we've lost a ball winner in those rucks with Sam Cane. I don't think Todd is as physical as Cane but he's good in those rucks.

I don't like Whitelock. He's ok IMO but we have a lot of no.8s thats better than ok.

surly they wont take someone who's signed overseas, they'll take someone like Dillon Hunt, had a great super season, already has a cap and only 23 so still someone to build for the future

Was at the game. Was pretty gutted with how it all ended but it was a great game to watch live and the team played well in the loss. Good to see some good progression over the year.

One thing that caught my attention though for the wrong reasons though was the Same Cane injury. He was on the ground for a while and it clearly was a neck injury, but when they brought on the golf cart to take him off safely for a neck injury, the team doctor refused it and made it out that it was a concussion test injury in case he could come back on the field (granted, I am judging this from the actions I could see from the sideline, but he clearly refused the cart and made a motion of knocking his head with his hand). Sam Cane then walked off the field with a broken neck, because the team doctor was looking out for the team's best interests of potentially getting him back on the field rather than taking the injury seriously. Player safety should always be the main concern in these situations.

i was pretty alarmed as well

when he walked off u could see there was a real problem with his neck

the doctor will be in big trouble i'd say

surly they wont take someone who's signed overseas, they'll take someone like Dillon Hunt, had a great super season, already has a cap and only 23 so still someone to build for the future

i think Todd only signed up temporary and he's meant to be coming back

heard big noise he's gunna make the aussie test.

pesonally i'd take Todd over Hunt for experience, we will need leadership and a cool head vs Ireland and England.

Yeah Gardner missed some stuff for us too so the Boks got away with some stuff to be fair. At least he wasnt as bad as Raynal.
Gardner was excellent. Pretty lenient for the ABs frankly. Early in first half the ABs conceded 5 on the trot when under pressure. A lot of other refs would have carded you.

Thought he was even handed and allowed the game to flow nicely.

Interesting point by Mallet about ABs cleaning past the ball in the ruck to create quick ball for those last two tries, as opposed to SA who cleaned over the ball. A similar point made by 'Geech in the past about the ABs at ruck time.
They do this all match, every match. I'm pretty sure they've taken a trademark out on it.

They do this all match, every match. I'm pretty sure they've taken a trademark out on it.
It's what I teach my kids. Step past the ball and fight for it over the advantage line. Fighting over the top of the ball lessens the margin of error

Totally legit for the past few seasons I been coaching kids

Gardner was excellent. Pretty lenient for the ABs frankly. Early in first half the ABs conceded 5 on the trot when under pressure. A lot of other refs would have carded you.

Gardner was awesome. Kept lines of communication open and explained himself really well. As nigelOwens whispers to himself I felt Gardner "didn't f@$k it up"

Did they? According to these live comms they didn't (while South Africa did actually concede 5 in a row which included a slapped down attempted intercept), using only one eye is limiting.

Actually. If Gardner had penalised PSDT for his lazy running under the posts on the 29th minute the Boks could have conceded 5 in a row twice, both sequences including try killing offences.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/live-springboks-v-all-blacks-20181006-4

Anyway, '5 in a row' is just paint by numbers bullshit. Fortunately for the match we had a decent ref.

Yeah he was good. No real complaints from me. The ones he missed was pretty hard to see from where he was. Nah hes all good.

Latest posts