• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] - South Africa Squad

Why no Duane Vermuelen?
Apparently he's "resting" himself by playing a season in Japan before the RWC. Can only assume Rassie is on board with it. Either way, he won't be selected for any TRC games, I assume he might be available for EOYT, else only when he joins his new SA team. I think after 3 years at Toulon, the recent injuries and subsequent return to form has taken a bit of a toll and he doesn't want to overdo it and risk injury before 2019.

How good is Ruhan Nel?
He's a great option to cover 13 now that Am is injured. He's played for the Blitzboks for the last 4 or so years so his international experience is pretty up there. He's now permanently making the transition from 7s to 15s and is currently playing (well) for Western Province/Stormers at outside centre. His coach (Dobson) reckons he has what it takes to make it big in both codes, I tend to agree. Am's injury is putting him in a bok shirt a little too soon for my liking but if anyone is given a baptism of fire at 13 I'd choose him on short notice any day.
That being said I doubt we'll see him start at 13, especially now that Le Roux is once again a confirmed part of the squad and Nkosi should hopefully be returning on the wing (Could also see Kolbe or Mapoe there I suppose) meaning it's likely we'll see Kriel at OC with Mapoe on the bench.

As for Vincent Koch, very interested to see how he comes in or if at all. I think Louw has been scrumming well and Malherbe has been rather solid. Perhaps he will come in off the bench in place of Louw so that Rassie can explore depth at prop. I remember Koch as a rather hot and cold performer. Hopefully his time abroad has changed him for the better.

9 is still a fiasco imo with Cronje dropped (Why if he was our second option against NZ?) and van Zyl returning as cover alongside Papier again. We all know Faf will be first choice at Loftus, so I'd personally like to see Papier/Van Zyl starting and subbing each for 40min at NMB or at the very least see one of them for a full half. IMO Rassie must stop threatening to flesh out and explore depth and just start playing them already. We need to understand who our 2nd and 3rd choice options are in case Faf is having a shocker or is injured/otherwise unavailable.

At this stage, I think we can expect more of the same that beat the ABs for obvious reasons, with a bit of balancing due to injury in the backs.

I think Ruhan Nel is a very underrated player and might surprize a lot of people. His work ethic for the Blitzboks can only benefit the Springboks too, he's great in defence and has a tendency to turn over ball at the rucks, and he's not slow or small, so could be a real prominent feature should he get the chance.

As for the Scumhalf scenario. I think Ross Cronje was only on the bench against the All Blacks in case of an emergency to Faf. But I think Papier and Van Zyl has the inside lane ahead of Cronje. And now that both Van Zyl and Papier had some game time for the Blue Bulls against Namibia over the weekend, they'll be more match ready should their services be needed.

He's a great option to cover 13 now that Am is injured. He's played for the Blitzboks for the last 4 or so years so his international experience is pretty up there. He's now permanently making the transition from 7s to 15s and is currently playing (well) for Western Province/Stormers at outside centre. His coach (Dobson) reckons he has what it takes to make it big in both codes, I tend to agree. Am's injury is putting him in a bok shirt a little too soon for my liking but if anyone is given a baptism of fire at 13 I'd choose him on short notice any day.
That being said I doubt we'll see him start at 13, especially now that Le Roux is once again a confirmed part of the squad and Nkosi should hopefully be returning on the wing (Could also see Kolbe or Mapoe there I suppose) meaning it's likely we'll see Kriel at OC with Mapoe on the bench..

I think Ruhan Nel is a very underrated player and might surprize a lot of people. His work ethic for the Blitzboks can only benefit the Springboks too, he's great in defence and has a tendency to turn over ball at the rucks, and he's not slow or small, so could be a real prominent feature should he get the chance.

Exactly how I would describe the guy from both these comments. Not much to add, except that he is a matured age already (27 I think) and should therefore be easier to work with as opposed to a younger player. Not to mention featuring in teams that are successful (Blitzbokke, WP Currie Cup side), a testament to being thoroughly exposed to high pressure, intensity situations.

Latest posts