• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

Earle is awesome. Which is why it was mental that a guy like Mike Ellery was playing ahead of him.
He's one of the most outstanding outside backs we've had at age grade, up there with the likes of Watson and Nowell.

Earle is awesome. Which is why it was mental that a guy like Mike Ellery was playing ahead of him.
He's one of the most outstanding outside backs we've had at age grade, up there with the likes of Watson and Nowell.

Great signing for Quins. With North leaving, I would have loved him at Saints.

I hope to see him play Italy. A back 3 of Earle, May & Watson sounds 3 exciting.

Good performances from Earle, Itoje, Isiekwe & Farrell for Saracens. Joseph and Dunn stood out for Bath. Mercer was good again, and took a couple of lineouts too :)

Mallinder is proper turd. That was awful, seems scared of contact, gave the ball away in fear and cannot defend. Absoloute dog toffee! Should be nowhere near a prem team, never mind EPS based on that performance.

Still seems crazy Isiekwe is a top level 2nd row, he looks so skinny!

Crazy thing about Isiekwe is that he's still a teenager despite looking about 50. Liking what I'm seeing from him, maybe a bolter for the team, let alone squad in Japan? The ever reliable Wikipedia has him at 6'7" and 120kg.

Earle certainly looked good with ball in hand. But then I'd probably have looked good against that Saints team.

Crazy thing about Isiekwe is that he's still a teenager despite looking about 50. Liking what I'm seeing from him, maybe a bolter for the team, let alone squad in Japan? The ever reliable Wikipedia has him at 6'7" and 120kg.

Earle certainly looked good with ball in hand. But then I'd probably have looked good against that Saints team.
Seeing as Launch is 6'6 and 122kg I struggle to believe that.

Really like Isiekwe. Very placid, but technically excellent. Don't think he looks particularly skinny, certainly doesn't lack physicality anyway.
Aye, don't get me wrong it's not a slight on him in anyway, he had a great game.
Think part of it is (as mentioned above) he's still insanely young so hasn't filled out fully yet.
Realistically he could be at the next 4 world cups - 5 if he goes all Brad Thorn/Simon Shaw on us.

Also agree on Earle - really hope he gets a shot with England. Been under utilised by Sarries this season, and also by EJ for England. Had a big game vs Barbarians and then wasn't seen again.

Interesting info in a Gaurdian article:

Boyce, 21, has made only two Premiership starts since joining Harlequins over the summer but is in pole position for a place on England's bench in Rome with Exeter's Hepburn unable to train in Portugal until the end of the week because of a head injury. Robshaw (back) is in a similar position and Mike Brown, who was taken to hospital after reporting blurred vision last weekend, is unable to take part in contact training.

Real possibility of Boyce on the bench and Watson at FB (which might in turn mean Earle on the wing).

Boyce, 21
tenor.gif

Two premiership starts and straight onto the England bench is more than concerning.
He may have a ton of potential but is international rugby really the place to test that? Especially in the front row?

Is this gonna be another Paul Hill situation, get him capped while he's still in nappies and then wave bye bye for a few years?

I just don't see the point investing time in Boyce at this stage. He should be learning his trade in the premiership. He's not going to overtake the 3, 4 guys ahead of him. He'd be better served playing for his club rather than getting a pummelling in international rugby.

I honestly believe, club bias aside, we'd be better offer having someone like Harrison slot in when we're down to our 4th choice, and bring through guys with a higher ceiling slower. Harrison's never going to overtake Genge/Marler/Mako, but if two of those are injured then he's worth bringing in in an injury crisis.

I think, especially in the front row, a baptism of fire does more harm than good.

Also I don't rate Obano and really don't understand the hype train. Is it cause Flatman gets a chubby every time he's on the screen on BT?

Yeah the Boyce call up is strange I'd rather stick someone like Bateman in. I love Eddie and what he's done but some of the decisions over the past 12 months have been baffling. I stand to be corrected.

I just don't see the point investing time in Boyce at this stage. He should be learning his trade in the premiership. He's not going to overtake the 3, 4 guys ahead of him. He'd be better served playing for his club rather than getting a pummelling in international rugby.

I honestly believe, club bias aside, we'd be better offer having someone like Harrison slot in when we're down to our 4th choice, and bring through guys with a higher ceiling slower. Harrison's never going to overtake Genge/Marler/Mako, but if two of those are injured then he's worth bringing in in an injury crisis.

I think, especially in the front row, a baptism of fire does more harm than good.

Also I don't rate Obano and really don't understand the hype train. Is it cause Flatman gets a chubby every time he's on the screen on BT?

Even if Boyce is on the bench I can't see the last 20 mins vs Italy and Wales being a baptism of fire . Not exactly Argentina/Ireland quality front rows

Mako 1st choice
Genge (injured impact sub)
Marler (ban, experience)
Obano (injured,potentially ready)
Hepburn (talanted next choice)
Boyce (pure project player, in and arpund the training camp and will only get game time if all others cant)

Eddie like having you players like Boyce in the camp it keeps the young english players in their teens/early 20s motivated to push and push as they realise age doesnt matter to EJ. If EJ thinks boyce has potential in 2 or 3 seasons time then get him training with the lads now, get him some experience and points to work on to make him better.

Im of the opinion if someone is never goi g to make it then blood the young guy with potential instead, more risky but stops us wasting valuable experience on a stopgap. Not saying that about harrison personally as i know very little about him.

Agreed with Scotty - except that I'd put Mullan in there too.
Eddie does this with a couple of players in every squad he chooses. Someone is there, not to play, but to train, experience the environment, and for the Eddie to run his eye over them away from the comfort zone of then club training sessions. TBH Burt did much the same pretty frequently.
The only time one of these project potentials came close to actually getting on the pitch was when Devoto was the the last man standing for a place in the bench.
Obviously Smith and Mercer have been more formally taking these rolls this season so far.

Im of the opinion if someone is never goi g to make it then blood the young guy with potential instead, more risky but stops us wasting valuable experience on a stopgap.

Aye.

Too frustrated by this happening over the past few years that I cannot accept it happening anymore.

Latest posts