• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Quarter-Finals: 20-21 July 2018

Saw some interesting stats about the Sharks on the NZ herald website

"Unlike many other teams, the Sharks drawing a Kiwi franchise in the opening round probably wasn't the worst case scenario for them. In 24 matches against New Zealand sides since the beginning of 2013, the Sharks have a 12-12 record. The Sharks will also bring confidence in being the only South African team to have beaten the Crusaders at home since 2001, and one of only two non-New Zealand teams to win in Christchurch in the past five Super Rugby seasons.'

"the visitors have shown they're willing and able to match up in a kicking duel or running the football. They lead the competition in offloads with 204, and have made the most kicks (328). They have also missed the least tackles in the competition, and given away the second least penalties."

Disclaimer: The only reason that i have been hyping this week is because it has already been universally accepted that the Crusaders are already in the Semifinal. I might fall flat on my face (In the case that the Crusaders runs away with the score) after this weekend but then again Super rugby has been anything but predictable this year.

Disclaimer: The only reason that i have been hyping this week is because it has already been universally accepted that the Crusaders are already in the Semifinal. I might fall flat on my face (In the case that the Crusaders runs away with the score) after this weekend but then again Super rugby has been anything but predictable this year.
Haha I think there are more than a few hopefuls that the Sharks can do it (myself included). As I said almost no-one can beat the Crusaders in Christchurch but the Sharks feel like one of the few teams who can if all the stars align.

My Sharks mate is coming over for breakfast and rugby, if Sharks win I'm taking him up the mountain, I've been trying to drag him for years :D.

Last edited:
Die8_inX4AAAcPm.jpg

Moroni as wing and kremer as lock. Interesting approach.

Discipline from our side will be key. If we get penalties and they do the kick to corner-line-maul combo this could get ugly very fast.

Vermeulen is good, not great though and certainly not Springbok quality.
WTF ? u gotta be kidding.
vermulen is world class. despite being one of the slowest 8's around his will is indomitable . i'd have vermulen at the canes. and he would become an even better player

That's like claiming that 2+2=5 and that you're not a numbers guy, but that the rest should nevertheless should respect your opinion.
If you are not a stats person, i strongly suggest don't argue about stats.
you get points for creative arithmetic. youre awesome at making up numbers and then pretending that they're really important

Moroni as wing and kremer as lock. Interesting approach.

Discipline from our side will be key. If we get penalties and they do the kick to corner-line-maul combo this could get ugly very fast.
Fourteen chubby and only nine runners in the roster.

WTF ? u gotta be kidding.
vermulen is world class. despite being one of the slowest 8's around his will is indomitable . i'd have vermulen at the canes. and he would become an even better player
Jacques Vermulen mate, it's like Smith on your side of the pond.

Hi all. New to rugby after watching the All Blacks All or Nothing on Amazon. I am just learning about the game, but I have been watching past games on ESPN+. I cannot wait to watch the matches this weekend. I am getting up really early tomorrow to watch the first game of the quarterfinals!

Hi all. New to rugby after watching the All Blacks All or Nothing on Amazon. I am just learning about the game, but I have been watching past games on ESPN+. I cannot wait to watch the matches this weekend. I am getting up really early tomorrow to watch the first game of the quarterfinals!

Should be a good one to start with!

outside of a world cup you have probably picked the perfect weekend to start watching.
just dont get too confused with the rules and enjoy whatever beautiful tries that get put on.
canes and chiefs tonight should be an amazing game

you get points for creative arithmetic. youre awesome at making up numbers and then pretending that they're really important

Okay, that's enough now with this bickering.

Next guy to go off topic on this thread or responds to this off-topic posts, gets a temporary ban to cool off.

Saw some interesting stats about the Sharks on the NZ herald website

"Unlike many other teams, the Sharks drawing a Kiwi franchise in the opening round probably wasn't the worst case scenario for them. In 24 matches against New Zealand sides since the beginning of 2013, the Sharks have a 12-12 record. The Sharks will also bring confidence in being the only South African team to have beaten the Crusaders at home since 2001, and one of only two non-New Zealand teams to win in Christchurch in the past five Super Rugby seasons.'

"the visitors have shown they're willing and able to match up in a kicking duel or running the football. They lead the competition in offloads with 204, and have made the most kicks (328). They have also missed the least tackles in the competition, and given away the second least penalties."

That certainly is an interesting stat. The Sharks are also one of the teams who have been in a few finals without winning the comp. and the question is if they can go so far again.

Apart from the Jaguares, they have been the best non-NZ team against NZ opposition, and I'm hoping they can do the same as they did in the regular season. A lot will depend on Robert Du Preez, and if he can marshall his troops tactically. I'm also hoping that Esterhuizen has a blinder, he's just getting better and better.

outside of a world cup you have probably picked the perfect weekend to start watching.
just dont get too confused with the rules and enjoy whatever beautiful tries that get put on.
canes and chiefs tonight should be an amazing game
I woke up EARLY this morning but this match has not disappointed! Lots of action!

Gotta feel sorry for McK those last minutes. If the Chiefs scored it would mean his **** up in the first minute cost the chiefs the game.

Latest posts