iZ3E9uZ.png

Venue: Allianz Stadium
Time: 12:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

N3MsRxF.png
VS.
QWfy9jJ.png

Venue: Emirates Airlines Park
Time: 15:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

So who knows how the semis will be formulated? In other words the winner of which other quarter final will the sharks play in the semi?

So who knows how the semis will be formulated? In other words the winner of which other quarter final will the sharks play in the semi?

AFAIK, The Log table will be used. If we look at the table above, each team that qualified got a ranking point. Crusaders being ranked #1 and the Sharks #8.

So depending on who wins this coming weekend:

Crusaders vs Sharks: If Crusaders win, they will definitely host a Semi
Lions vs Jaguares: If Lions win, they will definitely host a Semi

If any of the above 2 teams loses, then it depends on the other games, with the Waratahs and Hurricanes being next in line to be host.

It's fairly safe to say that the Sharks, Jaguares and Highlanders won't be hosting a semi.

I'm just not sure how the match-up would be done. If we look at past Super 15 Semi-final fixtures, then they used the same model as for the QF's with the highest ranked team hosting the lowest ranked team.

I actually think Sharks can win this weekend, obviously it's not a good chance like 15% or around there, but they had a really good record against NZ opposition this year, and I think they are one of the few teams in the comp that have any chance of beating the Crusaders in Cristchurch. Not very likely but it's certainly a possibility. It depends on if the Sharks show up or not.

In fact I don't think any of the semis are a dead lock with potential for upsets in all of them (Crusaders are definitely the most favoured however).

AFAIK, The Log table will be used. If we look at the table above, each team that qualified got a ranking point. Crusaders being ranked #1 and the Sharks #8.

So depending on who wins this coming weekend:

Crusaders vs Sharks: If Crusaders win, they will definitely host a Semi
Lions vs Jaguares: If Lions win, they will definitely host a Semi

If any of the above 2 teams loses, then it depends on the other games, with the Waratahs and Hurricanes being next in line to be host.

It's fairly safe to say that the Sharks, Jaguares and Highlanders won't be hosting a semi.

I'm just not sure how the match-up would be done. If we look at past Super 15 Semi-final fixtures, then they used the same model as for the QF's with the highest ranked team hosting the lowest ranked team.

As of last year the formula has changed a little bit.

Crusaders, Sharks, Hurricanes and Chiefs are on one side of the draw, the other four teams are on the other side. No matter what happens in any other games, the winner of the Crusaders v Sharks will play the winner of the Hurricanes v Chiefs.

In previous year's, the highest two remaining teams would host semis, but with the split finals draw, that isn't always the case now. For example, if the Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders and Jaguares all win their matches, the two semifinals would be Crusaders v Chiefs and Highlanders v Jaguares - even though the Chiefs would be the second-seeded team.

As of last year the formula has changed a little bit.

Crusaders, Sharks, Hurricanes and Chiefs are on one side of the draw, the other four teams are on the other side. No matter what happens in any other games, the winner of the Crusaders v Sharks will play the winner of the Hurricanes v Chiefs.

In previous year's, the highest two remaining teams would host semis, but with the split finals draw, that isn't always the case now. For example, if the Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders and Jaguares all win their matches, the two semifinals would be Crusaders v Chiefs and Highlanders v Jaguares - even though the Chiefs would be the second-seeded team.

Thanx Mr. Fish!

I didn't see that change on any of our local sites, all of them just says TBD. Good to know that.

Thanks this is specifically what i wanted to know. Where can one see this current format for the finals being announced/explained (where it says winner of qualifier # plays the winner of qualifier #)
The Sanzaar website just says TBC

Crusaders cruising toward their third and final loss in 2018, should be a ripper. A bit disappointed SANZAR didn't go with neutral refs for the POs at least, it's inviting trouble.

On the whole though, deserved quarter finalists and I'm sure each game will be highly entertaining.

In all likelihood:
Chiefs
Crusaders
Landers
Lions

But I reckon:
Chiefs
Sharks
Landers/maaybe Tahs
Jaguares

I'm more than confident in our ability to win the game, but it's more than well known that the tide is against us for this one. 3/4 against NZ opposition this year gives me hope, our 37 - 38 (coulda, shoulda, bladdy ref!) defeat to the Hurricanes gives me even more hope as we showed we can upset a strong NZ team at home successfully. Anything can happen on the day, just hope the Sharks are ready to throw everything at the Saders IF things go pear-shaped early on or we'll be in for another playoff hammering. Anyways, it's a strong team, our route to the trophy is as interesting as ever, bring on Christchurch!

Matera suspended for 2 weeks so he's out against the Lions.
And, of course, Jaco was appointed for our game.

Great, just great.

Matera suspended for 2 weeks so he's out against the Lions.
And, of course, Jaco was appointed for our game.

Great, just great.
this is a joke
no citing no suspension for the hit on lavanini????

this is a joke
no citing no suspension for the hit on lavanini????
isnt that justice? how many times has lavanini been suspended for dirty tackles? in fact how many times has he gotten away with his highly illegal grasscutting shoulder charges?
im kind glad really, lavanini is one of the dirtiest players around. awesome when he plays legitimately but a grub.

how many times has lavanini been suspended for dirty tackles?
Dont have the stats nearby, but i'd say not many. Jaguares went from being top 3 card receiver in SR to being one of the teams with the best discipline record and the main reason is lavanini (Ledesma deserves credit here).

I find it quite interesting you use the "two wrongs make a right" approach.

Dont have the stats nearby, but i'd say not many. Jaguares went from being top 3 card receiver in SR to being one of the teams with the best discipline record and the main reason is lavanini (Ledesma deserves credit here).

I find it quite interesting you use the "two wrongs make a right" approach.

i find it interesting that...
i ask you about about lavinini and his illegal repeated tackling and you reply about the jaguares overall perfomance.
tho i must admit i havent seen any jaguares games for the last 2 months so not sure if he is still blatantly reoffending. i dont want to know stats i want to know whether he's cleaned up his game or not. lavinini got away with a lot of illegal tackles and the cards wouldnt reflect this.

i dont think "two wrongs make a right". i just think its rich your calling for an injustice vs lavinini when he's one of the worst offenders in the modern era. i think he's effectively replaced bakiesBotha as the dirtiest player around...and yes i think he's worse than dylanHartley

getting a little excited about this round, if we can roll the Tah's there will be a definite 2015 vibe about things

The referees for the matches are all local referees:

Match Quarter-Final 2
Hurricanes [4] v Chiefs [5]@ Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Date Friday 20 July
Kick-off 19:35 local
Referee Glen Jackson (NZ)
AR1 Nick Briant (NZ)
AR2 Paul Williams (NZ)
TMO Glenn Newman (NZ)

Match Quarter-Final 1
Crusaders [1] v Sharks [8] @ AMI Stadium, Christchurch
Date Saturday 21 July
Kick-off 19:35 local
Referee Mike Fraser (NZ)
AR1 Ben O'Keeffe (NZ)
AR2 Brendon Pickerill (NZ)
TMO Shane McDermott (NZ)

Match Quarter-Final 4
Waratahs [3] v Highlanders [6] @ Allianz Stadium, Sydney
Date Saturday 21 July
Kick-off 20:05 local
Referee Angus Gardner (AUS)
AR1 Nic Berry (AUS)
AR2 Will Houston (AUS)
TMO George Ayoub (AUS)

Match Quarter-Final 3
Lions [2] v Jaguares [7] @ Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg
Date Saturday 21 July
Kick-off 15:05 local
Referee Jaco Peyper (SA)
AR1 Marius van der Westhuizen (SA)
AR2 Egon Seconds (SA)
TMO Marius Jonker (SA)

i ask you about about lavinini and his illegal repeated tackling and you reply about the jaguares overall perfomance.
Where do i start?
First, i didn't replied about jaguares' overall performance. I replied about jaguares' discipline. Not even remotely close to being the same thing.
Second, i used one as a proxy to measure the other. What you perceived as completely unrelated events where not only highly correlated but also causal (one was the cause of the other). Lavanini's record ended up being the main culprit of Jaguares' poor disciplinary record.
Third, and this is the kicker, you will find all the jaguares supporters blaming lavanini and lavanini only (never the ref) for his recklessness. Use the search function and you will see us calling him all kind of names over he last 2,5 years here. With that in mind, and given the amount of yellow cards he's received for that, it's only fair that we get to cry foul when that sort of recklessness is used against us.

Let me be crystal clear: we're not asking for any favours. We want to be treated the same way others are, and if you look at what happened the last two weekends, in pretty much as identical situations you can get in two different games, it is clear we are not.

i dont think "two wrongs make a right". i just think its rich your calling for an injustice vs lavinini when he's one of the worst offenders in the modern era.
Again, where to start. You are acting as if you thought two wrongs make a right.
On one hand you complain about lavanini's recklessness but you ALSO complain when jaguares supporters complain about the recklessness of others against them. Merriam webster defines that as a double standard.
You complain about recklessness when it comes from Lavanini but you call it "justice" when it's against him. That's not justice, that's using two different set of rules.

We have a lot of faults, a LOT. Hypocrisy is not one of them. We did not complain about the ref when Lavanini got (fairly) yellow/red carded. We just called him a moron, which he was.
But, unlike you, we appreciate consistency and congruence. We understood and respected that, when players acted recklessly, they deserved to be punished for it, regardless of the jersey they were wearing.
Last seasons it was a jaguares jersey, and we paid for it. Now it's someone else's and we expect the same. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just in: according to ESPN, Jaguares' appeal was successful and Matera will be able to play.

Last edited:
Just checked the stats for lavanini

Lavanini ycs in 2017: 2
Lavanini rcs in 2017: 1

Lavanini ycs in 2018: 0
Lavanini rcs in 2018:: 0

All games excluding play offs.
Facts > opinions, every single time.

Latest posts