• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Quarter-Finals: 20-21 July 2018

Completely understand that but that give nzru money but the smaller unions are getting less, it's only time before they won't be able to bring threw the young talent, strong base it the key

Looks around, the most successful sports around the world are those that have the club/franchise comps front and centre, football, afl, all the American sports, international should be the rare pinnacle, not the day to say

Yeah I hear what your saying Jabby. Personally I'm now a big fan of High School 1st XV and NZ Interprovicial rugby. It's the "real deal" as far as I'm concerned. Unfortuately not so many of the "paying public" share our passion for Interprovincial rugby,. the crowds are poor compared with the old days. All Blacks would bring back a few, but not if Super rugby continues.
By the way - Unhappy to tell you that in the final 12 minutes of the Highlanders v Warratahs game, when H'landers trying to catch up what ball was in play a total of 4 minutes. The other 8 minutes were mainly Ref talking and getting scrums set.

Nic Mallet said that if the Sharks don't up their energy they would be beaten by 30 points and he was spot on. Totally hapless performance. That said I didn't have much hope and told my Kiwi colleague (and Crusaders supporter) that if the Sharks beat the them in Chch that it would be a bigger upset than the Japan vs Boks game :D I agree that the Lions will be losing finalists against the Crusaders. Hurricanes have the potential to pip them though.

Well, the QF's went almost exactly as I thought it would. Except the 'Tahs who spoiled my near perfect predictions on Superbru (yes, I even got the Margin Points correct).

I will do the Semi's thread through the course of this morning. So plz guys, try to keep your comments on those matches in that thread, and talk here only about the past weekend's matches.

I'm so glad that Marx is back and playing well. He will be a very welcome addition to the Bok-team for the RC. Whiteley on the other hand is still not showing me that he should be a regular starter for the Boks, even when Duane Vermeulen is unavailable.

As for the Sharks. So many handling errors when they were on the attack. it was frustrating to watch. They do all the hard yards, gets to the red zone, and then loses the ball nearly every time. And what is the weirdest was that Tyler Paul was actually the guy in the pack that stood out the most for me in this game. He made some good yards going forward, was defensively better than most and best of all, he didn't knock the ball on...

Tahs can definitely score points against this Lions team and lots of them. I would however be very concerned of getting brutalized up front, the Jags pack barely held on, and it's a weakness of the Tahs

edit: Malcom Marx is really good at rugby. Literally feels like he was worth 14-21 points in his game with all of his vital turnovers on the Lions 5 meter and his intercept.
His pilfering is amazing and he straddles the line very well. He's often already in contact with the player before he's been tackled, but doesn't seem to be making the tackle. Is he part of the tackle or is he free to pilfer without releasing first? Thought some were very borderline against the Jags, but that's what you want from a 7 .... er hooker.

His pilfering is amazing and he straddles the line very well. He's often already in contact with the player before he's been tackled, but doesn't seem to be making the tackle. Is he part of the tackle or is he free to pilfer without releasing first? Thought some were very borderline against the Jags, but that's what you want from a 7 .... er hooker.

agree and he got away with it every time. jaco payper penalized us every time within 3mili seconds. he will call "not relising". it wasnt marx foult he did good. and wasnt a game changer either imo the lions would win it anyway.

Do you mean when he's the supporting tackler or when he's the main tackler when he goes to ground with the tackled player? Marx is actually one of the guys that shows the clear release the best when he's in the position to steal the ball.

I haven't noticed Marx having a dodgey jackling style but I don't tend to peruse a turnover too much if it goes in favour of my team haha.
Will look in future. For what it's worth a tackle-assist still needs to release a player before going for the ball just has to show a little bit of "daylight" between themselves and the player.

Do you mean when he's the supporting tackler or when he's the main tackler when he goes to ground with the tackled player? Marx is actually one of the guys that shows the clear release the best when he's in the position to steal the ball.
When he's assisting. As mentioned above, he's still supposed to release and i don't think he did that on a few occasions against the Jags, but it was borderline. Another ref and he's getting pinged multiple times in his own 22 and he's off for ten.

When he's assisting. As mentioned above, he's still supposed to release and i don't think he did that on a few occasions against the Jags, but it was borderline. Another ref and he's getting pinged multiple times in his own 22 and he's off for ten.

Geez, I don't know. Most guys who are great at pilfering has mastered the art of not getting pinged as much as the regular Joe when they are the assisted tackler, while it might not be clear from our couch, the referees are quite attent on the clear release or showing daylight. Guys like Marx, Creevy, Hooper and Pocock are all great in that area.

Don't know why Marx is being singled out though...

Latest posts