• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 2: Waratahs vs. Stormers (24/02/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

cZLaAJf.jpg
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
BFsGRzk.png

Venue: Allianz Stadium
Time: 10:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Waratahs: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Andrew Kellaway, 13 Lalakai Foketi, 12 Kurtley Beale, 11 Curtis Rona, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Jake Gordon, 8 Michael Wells, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Ned Hanigan, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Tom Staniforth, 3 Paddy Ryan, 2 Damien Fitzpatrick, 1 Tom Robertson

Substitutes: 16 Hugh Roach, 17 Harry Johnson-Holmes, 18 Shambeckler Vui, 19 Nick Palmer, 20 Jed Holloway, 21 Mitch Short, 22Bryce Hegarty, 23 Alex Newsome

Stormers: 15 SP Marais, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Kobus van Dyk, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 JD Schickerling, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Ramone Samuels, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Dean Muir, 17 JC Janse ven Rensburg, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Chris van Zyl, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Justin Phillips, 22 George Whitehead, 23 EW Viljoen

Last edited:
I know the general mood about the Stormers seems pretty pessimistic, but I have some hope, the fact that Kitsoff and Louw are both fit I think really means our baseline is somewhat solid, despite losing Eben/PsdT/Bongi.

On paper the Tahs are still a great side with some of the best players in the world featuring in; Hooper/Folau/Beale/Foley, that said I don't really rate Daryl Gibson and for some reason they seriously under performed last year.

Again there aren't going to be many chances for us to win away from home so we have to consider this one of the golden opportunities. If we kick to Folau, Beale and Foley all day and give the Tahs a chance to attack we are going to get crucified, I feel if there is a route to victory it's going to be upfront dominance, tight defense off structured play, and when they kick it at us run back at them rather than getting into a kicking battle we will lose to Folau.

PsdT is going on tour, very good news, same for SP Marais (but I don't rate Leyds as a winger)
I agree we need to be very strong upfront and apply pressure and then let the backs loose.
I get exited when young Williams have front foot ball and my oh my, just maybe de Allende is back to some sort of form

Stormers going for bulk at the back and speed upfront, interesting approach...

Bit of a shame to see EW Viljoen dropped, he's one of the few people in the team who actually passes.
I don't remember JJ being a particularly good defender either.

Anyway we will still crush their will to live. Stormers by 50 minimum.

First game on tour which is hard for us, but also we've already got one SR game in the bag. They have more quality in the backs but we have them outmatched up front, could honestly go either way but with our tour of NZ starting next week, we really should be targeting this as a must win.

Edit: I see Seabelo was dropped as well, goddamn can this guy just get some games together please.

Last edited:
Great game. Stormers bossed the lineouts and scrums even when the frontrows of both teams were replaced. With the scores tied on 27 all with the clock on 80 minutes the Stormers had a lineout. They were good with lineouts all game and this was to be a final crack for them to win the game because if the ball went dead then it would have ended as a tie. Instead the Stormers hooker overthrew it straight into a Waratah hand for them to touch down in the corner and win the game at the death.
This game was entertaining because once the Stormers scored so would the Waratahs. This went on all game with no side gaining a clear advantage over their opponents. This was a game the Stormers needed to win considering their next few fixtures.
I feel the Stormers are the better team overall as they came so close to winning it away from home which is a massive factor. But the Waratahs had more composure on the day.

The Stormers seem to have a fair bit of talent and there is often pre-season optimism. So are people over estimating them as a squad or is Fleck just not doing the business?

Harsh question for only week 2 I know! But with the change in format I'm finding it hard to see a Stormers side in the playoffs.

I called a draw and was on the money till 81min.
Just for a sub to do a stupid thing and throw it all away
Stormers still way of their best, backs not firing.
Tight 5 played very well

as a Stormers fan very disappointing ending today
as a Scotsman very happy today indeed and I can tell all the Stormers fans out there Huw Jones was absolutely fantastic
would have been delighted if he could have played for Scotland and carried on playing in CT

Latest posts