• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 3: Bulls vs. Lions (03/03/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

0fxNQrK.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
D5pB5Yt.gif

Venue: Loftus Versfeld
Time: 17:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Bulls: 15 Divan Rossouw, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Burger Odendaal (co-captain), 11 Johnny Kotze, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Andre Warner, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Thembelani Bholi, 6 Roelof Smit, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans van Wyk, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Pierre Schoeman

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Conraad van Vuuren, 19 Nic de Jager (co-captain), 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Marnitz Boshoff, 23 Duncan Matthews

Lions: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Sylvian Mahuza, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Cyle Brink, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16 Robbie Coetzee, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Marco Jansen van Vuren, 22 Harold Vorster, 23 Madosh Tambwe

Last edited:
The Lions team is:

15 Andries Coetzee 14 Sylvian Mahuza 13 Lionel Mapoe 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi 10 Elton Jantjies 9 Ross Cronjé 8 Warren Whiteley (captain) 7 Franco Mostert 6 Cyle Brink 5 Marvin Orie 4 Andries Ferreira 3 Ruan Dreyer 2 Malcolm Marx 1 Jacques van Rooyen.
Bench: 16 Robbie Coetzee 17 Dylan Smith 18 Jacobie Adriaanse 19 Lourens Erasmus 20 Marnus Schoeman 21 Marco Janse van Vuren 22 Harold Vorster 23 Madosh Tambwe.

Interesting match up this, both teams have shown a very non-traditional willingness to play more expansive rugby, but this one will probably come down to good old fashioned grunt.
The Lions scrum looks monstrous and unless the Bulls can compete I can seeing this panning out the same as the Sharks game, with the Bulls staying in it but ultimately the Lions winning out. The lack of Kwagga/Kriel in the forwards and the inclusion of Mostert on the flank implies they are just going to try and out muscle the Bulls.

Will be cheering for the Bulls again, a win or a small margin loss here would do a lot to establish them as genuine contenders.

The Lions team is:

15 Andries Coetzee 14 Sylvian Mahuza 13 Lionel Mapoe 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi 10 Elton Jantjies 9 Ross Cronjé 8 Warren Whiteley (captain) 7 Franco Mostert 6 Cyle Brink 5 Marvin Orie 4 Andries Ferreira 3 Ruan Dreyer 2 Malcolm Marx 1 Jacques van Rooyen.
Bench: 16 Robbie Coetzee 17 Dylan Smith 18 Jacobie Adriaanse 19 Lourens Erasmus 20 Marnus Schoeman 21 Marco Janse van Vuren 22 Harold Vorster 23 Madosh Tambwe.

Interesting match up this, both teams have shown a very non-traditional willingness to play more expansive rugby, but this one will probably come down to good old fashioned grunt.
The Lions scrum looks monstrous and unless the Bulls can compete I can seeing this panning out the same as the Sharks game, with the Bulls staying in it but ultimately the Lions winning out. The lack of Kwagga/Kriel in the forwards and the inclusion of Mostert on the flank implies they are just going to try and out muscle the Bulls.

Will be cheering for the Bulls again, a win or a small margin loss here would do a lot to establish them as genuine contenders.

Why are coaches doing this to Locks? first PSDT and now Sous... Everyone thinks they might have the next Danie Rossouw...

For me it seems like Swys wants more competition at the lineouts, which is the are I think the Bulls will have the upper hand, but the Lions scrum will be very strong.

Gonna be a tough tussle indeed

Why are coaches doing this to Locks? first PSDT and now Sous... Everyone thinks they might have the next Danie Rossouw...

For me it seems like Swys wants more competition at the lineouts, which is the are I think the Bulls will have the upper hand, but the Lions scrum will be very strong.

Gonna be a tough tussle indeed
Only cause Kwagga not playing this weekend and by bulking up the pack he hopes to get forward dominance

Only cause Kwagga not playing this weekend and by bulking up the pack he hopes to get forward dominance

But then why not start Marnus Schoeman? surely he will make a difference at ruck time and compete against Roelof Smit. But by over-bulking up they might lose out on pace.

The South African All Black Teams facing each other, this should be entertaining...

One team playing with Mitchell's pedigree and the other Team where he is busy installing his pedigree....

SARU should actually let Mitchell coach each SA franchise after a 2 year period...

Well, it was pretty much expected that the Lions would take this one. And the start they had, with that maul of theirs certainly made a platform for them.

I thought one of the 2 yellow cards we got was a little bit harsh, but I guess that's how it's gonna be this year with the referees being extra strict. 13 men for 10 minutes consecutively certainly made the difference.

Nonetheless, very proud of the Bulls and how they kept on fighting until the very end. What impressed me the most was their fitness levels and how they just kept on running.

Handre Pollard was excellent at 12, and certainly showed that he can slot in that position very easily.

Latest posts