• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 3: Jaguares vs. Hurricanes (03/03/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

q12RYgu.jpg
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
yVAZL2m.jpg

Venue: Estadio Jose Amalfitani
Time: 23:40 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

not too worried about the loss last week...

we got a hiding in 2016 against the brumbies in that 1st game and came back to win the thing

so goodluck boys

canes need to wake the f#$k up, jags could hand us our heads on a platter if we dont pull finger

Impossible. I would love to but in current form we can not beat anyone but Sun wolfs and Reds.

Bit harsh on the Sunwolves. Underestimate them at your peril;)

If we cant even defeat Sun wolfs then we deserve to be kick out and never invited again. They are missing some internationals, have tons of new players. No disrespect to them but in papers we should be superior given that our core team has been playing together over 2+ years here and in Pumas( disgrace right now).

I consider the Jags much better than the Sunwolves. That does don't mean i dont have any hope just that at this point in time the Jags would be able to beat them home and away.
We don't know that much about the Sunwolves class of 2018, only that there is a lot of new players and that they did relatively well against a Brumbies side that blew them of the park the previous year. But despite the early positivity i just cant see them being more successful than the Jaguares this year purely because i believe its at least a three year process to build a ***le contender.

These Home games are the ones that the Jags should target. They shouldn't look at the opponent just whether its home or away. Win half of your games and you have a good shot of making the playoffs.

Hurricanes by 10 though especially with Barrett likely to be reintroduced.

Well, i think we are one of the only team (kindly correct me if i am wrong ) that has lost against both the sunwolves and the kings in the past.

canes need to wake the f#$k up, jags could hand us our heads on a platter if we dont pull finger
Have you seen our first two games?
50% tackle success rate in first game
Lost all scrums in 1H against lions
Lost all line outs in 1H vs lions

If your backs are having an average day, it could get ugly really fast.
Our back 3 couldnt catch a cold.

Ledesma is making the huge jump from forwards coach to head coach. I won't even begin to judge him until 8 or 9 games.

Ledesma is making the huge jump from forwards coach to head coach. I won't even begin to judge him until 8 or 9 games.

He has staff for the backs. He should probably focus on the overall strat and his assistants on their respective parts. If Ledesma fails then we should start seeing it as Players problem altogether.

Fair enough. Would it be fair to judge him on on how our forward are doing?
Let's give him a hand and given his past jobs and that he was a hooker, just judge him on scrummaging alone, shall we?

There is not a single metric or scenario that makes him look good. Not one. That's the problem.

This is not a bunch of guys randomly picked who got together 15 min before kick off. This is supposed to be a 2 year old franchise who plays together more than any professional team in the world (since jags = pumas). Let me say that again because it is important: more than any other professional team in the world. The had a pre-season too ffs.
We hire a coach who's specialty happens to be scrums.
First game the key scrum, the do-or-die one, we lose it.
Second game starts and we lose every single scrum we feed for 40 min.
But let's say he needs time, it's a technical formation, whatever.

The thing i cannot, i simply cannot get my head around is the tackling. It is simply unacceptable. These are not a couple of isolated incidents than happen to end up in a try, magnifying the exposure or something. This is a crystal clear trend. Our backs (maybe 10-12 are a bit better) cannot tackle. Every semi serious attack our back 3 have to defend against is a disaster. Penalty tries, tackling each other, covering the wrong places.

The magnitude of the above is so big that i do not see a realistic solution. Those 3 are not going to learn how to defend/tackle in 1 week, and the opposition we're facing is arguably better in that part of the field.

I remember cursing cordero for his unpredictability and defense. I'd cut an arm to have him back.

Let me be apolitical for a min:

1) we win 1/2 games this season (say Reds at home, maybe rebels if we are lucky)
2) We lose all game in TRC

3) We win 1/2 games in SR
4) We lose all games in TRC
5) We don't make it out of the group

If all of those, 1 to 5 actually happen, what then? Out of TRC and/or SR? I am asking because, to be honest, the above scenario doesn't look that far stretched to me. I actually find it reasonably realistic (if you don't please tell me which part is unrealistic).
Infuriating and sad, but realistic.

/end rant

Well, i think we are one of the only team (kindly correct me if i am wrong ) that has lost against both the sunwolves and the kings in the past.
sorry cruz, but no team should ever be underestimated, especially a puma laden team as the jags.
jags playing at home get an adv. canes not taking them seriously enough or not preparing properly adv jags.
u always respect your oppn. as they say in the NFL "any team can beat any other team on any given sunday".
canes shouldnt lose...but u dont know the canes

The sky sports commentators about our scrum "that is coach killing stuff". Spot on.

Dafuq am i watching weirdest game ive ever seen ‍♂️

All the tries came either from missed easy tackles or a very simple fake 12/13 play. Kick try 15 was no where to be found the wing from the other side never came to cover. Pretty simple things. Im now convinced that the players are tryng to get the coach fired.

Score flattered the Canes, we played like crap. Just lucky that the Jags are pretty bang average. Will need to pick it up big time to have a chance vs the Crusaders next week!
(On a positive note, the bus looked something like his old self.)

I think we got lucky. Hurricanes played very, very bad and still managed to get a bonus point and keep their in goal try-less.
I wasn't feeling optimistic but according to Ledesma we have, and i quote, "evolved a lot".

This will be a very, very long season for us.

Last edited:
Actually, i just saw another clip from the press conf and i have to stand corrected, he was quite critical.
Still, a much as i like his truthfulness, we shouldn't be testing people as head coach.

Latest posts