• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 6: Hurricanes vs. Highlanders (24/03/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

yVAZL2m.jpg
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
910mtWQ.jpg

Venue: Westpac Stadium
Time: 08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

GAMON CANES!!
actually either of these teams winning is good for me. as long as i see some exciting rugby, played in great spirits and no one gets injured and i'll be happy. but just gotta say GO THE CANES!!!

a bonus point and no more injuries is all i'm aiming for in this game, big game last week will have taken a bit out the the boys and having already had our first bye we need to look at the entire season

Highlanders: Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Rob Thompson, Tei Walden, Tevita Li, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Luke Whitelock, Dillon Hunt, Elliot Dixon, Tom Franklin, Jackson Hemopo, Tyrel Lomax, Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown. Reserves: Ash Dixon (co-captain), Aki Seiuli, Siate Tokolahi, Shannon Frizell, Marino Mikaele Tu'u, Kayne Hammington, Josh Ioane, Matt Faddes.

I rate Ioane, hope he gets a nice little run

Man, Tevita Li looked great last weekend. He tends to either look all-world or invisible. Where's the rookie Fijian wing that went well a couple games ago?

Hurricanes: Jordie Barrett, Julian Savea, Matt Proctor, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Gareth Evans, Ardie Savea, Brad Shields (c), Sam Lousi, Murray Douglas, Ben May, Ricky Riccitelli, Chris Eves. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Fraser Armstrong, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Michael Fatialofa, Reed Prinsep, Richard Judd, Ihaia West, Vince Aso.

Highlanders will have to significantly win the forward battle to get the W in this one.

Under the new rules I didn't think it was possible to win that much ball at the breakdown as the hurricanes have in this game. Shows it's possible and it's where they won this game for sure.

That Hurricanes team are awesome. I can't see beyond them for the ***le this year.

It'll certainly be a Kiwi team that wins.

Squire's absence is massive for the Highlanders. Tough to replace his ball carrying. Hemopo is nice, and will look good with some seasoning.

Any word yet on Ardie? He was in a lot of pain.

Ben Lam should have been playing for a franchise years ago. What a battle between he and Naholo.

Some of the finishing in this game was beyond belief. Still trying to work out how Ben Lam got the ball down without being in touch - he's a magician! Vince Aso's acrobatic try was crazy good as well.

Lam is certainly a bit of a freak. Seriously powerful and apparently ran a sub 11 second 100m when at school. Can't see Savea getting anywhere near the AB setup when he's not even the best power winger at his franchise. He shouldn't even be in a Canes 23 when all players are fit.

Some of the finishing in this game was beyond belief. Still trying to work out how Ben Lam got the ball down without being in touch - he's a magician! Vince Aso's acrobatic try was crazy good as well.
It seems like a different world watching the Kiwi SR games at the weekend.

It seems like a different world watching the Kiwi SR games at the weekend.

I was at the RWC QF in Cardiff between ABs v France and it really was night and day the speed at which the ABs got to and cleared the ruck compared to France. After that they just made the game look so easy with their better ball handling skills; the rest as they say was history. I really do think RWC 2019 is theirs to lose. England and Ireland are kidding themselves if they think they can match them if the ABs are at their best.

Last edited:
I think this game showed our weakness, out midfield is skilled...but not powerful...fekitoa might have been able to handle the canes midfield a bit better, both Li and Naholo were coming infield to shut the canes down leaving their wingers far too much space. We were scrabbling to push the play towards the touch line after that

Latest posts