• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 6: Jaguares vs. Lions (24/03/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

q12RYgu.jpg
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
D5pB5Yt.gif

Venue: Estadio Jose Amalfitani
Time: 23:40 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

do you guys know what kind of team are the lions gonna field? are they playng full scuad or reserves?

do you guys know what kind of team are the lions gonna field? are they playng full scuad or reserves?

I think they will play their full squad. They tried to experiment a bit last week against the Sunwolves and it nearly backfired...

Looks pretty full to me, Marx out tho.

Lions

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Sylvian Mahuza, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Marco Jansen van Vuren, 8 Kwagga Smith, 7 Robert Kruger, 6 Cyle Brink, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Marvin Orie, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Len Massyn, 21 Dillon Smit, 22 Howard Mnisi, 23 Shaun Reynolds

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/de-bruin-makes-changes-to-lions-line-up-20180322

Glad to see RJvR finally back at 12 where he belongs. I'm not convinced he is back at top form since his injury layoff but hopefully prove me wrong here. Interesting that the new coach doesn't follow his old bosses' attitude of sending a second string to South America.

Are Combrinck and Skosan injured?

Glad to see RJvR finally back at 12 where he belongs. I'm not convinced he is back at top form since his injury layoff but hopefully prove me wrong here. Interesting that the new coach doesn't follow his old bosses' attitude of sending a second string to South America.

Are Combrinck and Skosan injured?

Yeah Combrink and Skosan is out for a long while, and IMHO Dyanthi is 10 times better than Skosan.

I think after their last 2 showings, they had no choice but to play a full strength team, especially away from home.

TRYYYYY!!! Despite the fact Lions have been making penalties the last 5 min and the ref looks the other way.

I'm following the ticker. Lots of tries!

Once again, just when I think the Sunwolves are doing well to get a LBP out of a big team... their next opponent rains on our parade and smashes them big time.

0-3 feels like a long time ago now huh?

Last edited:
Wow. That's the best way i can describe this game. This is a trully, wholeheartedly bitter sweet moment. Sweet because we outplayed a full lions team who gave their best. Bitter because it makes me realize how stupid some of our past loses were.

Considering the amount of penalties/free kicks we game at scrums and how bad we defended the mauls at line outs, it is nothing short of a miracle how the game developed. We outplayed them at everything else by a mile.

At min 40 something, when the Lions scored the first line out try the formula was obvious for anyone with two functioning brain cells (for them). We were close to 20 points ahead yet i honestly thought they would turn it around, slowly but surely and 15 minutes later i was about to tap myself on the back saying i loud "i knew it/i told you so" but we managed to score 2 more tries and that made the gap too big to bridge for the lions.
I am very, very happy. I watched the lions games and i know they were messing around last week when the sunwolves got close, and got overconfident when the blues turned that game around. Today, we beat them fair and square.

I am very happy with the attitude. We managed to turn around a downwards spiral in the second half, twice. We still keep making silly mistakes (scrums) and cannot defend line outs but our tackling has improved a lot. very, very pleased.

One thought tho: this is probably gonna be an unpopular thought, but Matera is half the player he was last season, both on offense and defense. He is still very good (last season he was monstrous) but he is missing quite a few important tackles per game, he doesn't get the same amount of breaks and he gets the ball ripped out of his hand, something thought unthinkable, even impossible last season.

wow! what the f was that?happy overall but. still those silly mistake's: two unnecessary penalties, 2 tryes in key moments. we got lucky. don't think we out played them, not with this scrum, line, maul situation. both ezcurra and bonfelli 's tryes where out of the blue + a bit of luck (the one that we usually lack)
but they managed to not choke when all seemed lions dominance. they hold against one of the best Sr teams
cheers but more consistency needed.

You are being coached by a manager making his first steps into a head coach role - I would say the Jaguares are way ahead of schedule and some inconsistency and errors are inevitable. I've only seen the highlights but the Lions seemed totally reliant on their pack to score tries. They have a top 3 pack in the competition so if you can show that ability and temperament against sides with lesser packs then more wins will follow.

I said give Ledesma half a season before judging him but I think we can already see he is an upgrade on Perez and there are signs he may be as good a coach as he was a player (which may also be huge for the Pumas in future years to finally have an alternative to Hourcade).

The last two weeks are raising big doubts about the Lions after them looking good in the early weeks. The South African Conference could be a five way fight.

Just saw the stats. For me the key moment was ezcurra's try. The momentum was all theirs and there was nothing we could do to stop their line-maul-try combination, and that try gave us breathing room and destroyed their morale.

I agree scrum and line were the worst aspects of our game. I'm not worried about the scrum thou: half of the penalties/fks were for engaging early, which, one would presume, is a relatively easy thing to correct. Regarding defensive maul after a line close to our in goal, we looked clueless. Any team with a decent line out could exploit that easily and tear us a new one.

Still, a win is a win, and this is a good one. Well done boys.

Only saw the highlights, great play by the Jaguares.
Really good execution at speed.
Challenge is can they keep it up on the road?
Lions need to wake up and face up to the fact that some players are simply over rated.

Good rugby is good rugby, grats to the Jaguares, bringing some life into the dull SA Conference

I have a question. Why are the referees more lenient towards the Jaguares when they play in Argentina?

There was so many off the ball stuff in this game, and none was blown up. Seems like the referee didn't care about order, and the Jags used it to their advantage.

Lions frailties are certainly showing though...

Are you serious?
kindly show me any evidence supporting that claim please.

It is worth mentioning that if you take the Lions vs Jaguares game in RSA as the benchmark, maybe because the Jaco had one of those days and was incredibly unfair against us. People are still making fun of that penalty try against us in social media. By comparing to an incredibly unfair day against us, a normal ref might look as benefiting us, relative wise.
Other than that. I don't think what you say is true, at all.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I see none.

I haven't watched much of the SunWolves, but other than that, i'd happily trade the way the refs have treated jaguares with that of any other team since we joined SR.
We play with local refs when we play away, and foreign when we play at home.
We play with refs that do not understand a single bloody word of spanish and expect our players to understand english in the heat of the moment and in the middle of a play.
I have no doubt the amount of penalties/ycs we have received would have been significantly lower had we been refs in our mother tongue. Sure, we know the rules, and we abide, but it shouldn't take a neurosurgeon nor a nasa engineer to realize that those rules damage us.

The only thing i can think of that does favour us at home, is that i can imagine the ref being more inclined to check a play after they hear the crowd complain. It's speculation but i have no doubt it happens.

You might have touch a nerve. I hardly ever complain about the refs here, but claiming jaguares benefit from biased refs in SR is just ludicrous.

I saw players spear into rucks in any other SR game and nothing. We get a penalty. Saw players slow down attacks with hands in ruck or not releasing tackled and nothing. We get a penalty. The list go on. Don`t get me wrong we do commit an awful rate of infractions but ref hardly are partial to us historically. This game in particular i think ref was ok.

Are you serious?
kindly show me any evidence supporting that claim please.

It is worth mentioning that if you take the Lions vs Jaguares game in RSA as the benchmark, maybe because the Jaco had one of those days and was incredibly unfair against us. People are still making fun of that penalty try against us in social media. By comparing to an incredibly unfair day against us, a normal ref might look as benefiting us, relative wise.
Other than that. I don't think what you say is true, at all.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I see none.

I haven't watched much of the SunWolves, but other than that, i'd happily trade the way the refs have treated jaguares with that of any other team since we joined SR.
We play with local refs when we play away, and foreign when we play at home.
We play with refs that do not understand a single bloody word of spanish and expect our players to understand english in the heat of the moment and in the middle of a play.
I have no doubt the amount of penalties/ycs we have received would have been significantly lower had we been refs in our mother tongue. Sure, we know the rules, and we abide, but it shouldn't take a neurosurgeon nor a nasa engineer to realize that those rules damage us.

The only thing i can think of that does favour us at home, is that i can imagine the ref being more inclined to check a play after they hear the crowd complain. It's speculation but i have no doubt it happens.

You might have touch a nerve. I hardly ever complain about the refs here, but claiming jaguares benefit from biased refs in SR is just ludicrous.

Geez, no need to get so sensitive. It was merely my opinion. And no, I didn't use other game you are referring to as a yardstick. I was merely referring to this match, and you could just see how frustrated the Lions players were, and repeatedly had to knock away a Jaguares player that was holding on to them at rucks. There were also a couple of instances, where the Lions players complained to the AR.

So it was just an observation, and maybe I overgeneralised the situation, but kudo's to the Jaguares, they exploited the leniency of the referee to their advantage, and managed to suck in more Lions players to the rucks than in the past.

Latest posts