vpS1LbI.png

Venue: AMI Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

N3MsRxF.png
Er9w71N.png
qq7ut5l.png

Venue: Emirates Airlines Park
Time: 15:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Reckon these games will be a lot closer compared to the QFs.

The Hurricanes toppled the Crusaders in week 4 and while I don't see them doing it again this weekend, they'll definitely give the Saders a harder time than the Sharkies did

I think the Waratahs will be really hungry for a win but the travel should be the difference if the Lions show up.

I think if the Lions and Canes win there's a good chance we'll see Saffa winners in the final at Ellis Park, I don't see the Crusaders losing to the Waratahs or Lions at home with their current form so for me the comp's winners will likely be decided this weekend.

As a neutral I'm hoping for a couple of really intense games, with some lead swapping and a few drop goals to add to the dismal 2 completed this season. Let's see some proper tough playoff rugby!

Very tough games to call. Saders v Lions in final for me but I think the Tahs could sneak it.

Man I wish the game times were flipped. I really want to see that Saders v Canes game. 3:35AM comes early!

should be two great semi-finals in prospects. I think the Lions/Tahs game will be very high scoring but i'd have to go for the Lions at home. Crusaders/Hurricanes I think will be a bit of a struggle but I anticipate a Crusaders win by probably 8-12 points. just think the Crusaders forwards will win the day for them.

Reckon these games will be a lot closer compared to the QFs.

The Hurricanes toppled the Crusaders in week 4 and while I don't see them doing it again this weekend, they'll definitely give the Saders a harder time than the Sharkies did

I think the Waratahs will be really hungry for a win but the travel should be the difference if the Lions show up.

I think if the Lions and Canes win there's a good chance we'll see Saffa winners in the final at Ellis Park, I don't see the Crusaders losing to the Waratahs or Lions at home with their current form so for me the comp's winners will likely be decided this weekend.

As a neutral I'm hoping for a couple of really intense games, with some lead swapping and a few drop goals to add to the dismal 2 completed this season. Let's see some proper tough playoff rugby!
I think the Waratahs would stand a good chance of beating the Hurricanes at home though. And i'm pretty sure its a home final if the Hurricanes and Tahs win, so i'll be rooting for them. Not least because i can actually be in attendance then.

Having said that, the Tahs are comfortable outsiders from here on out. If you ignore the second half of last week, the Tahs have been **** for the last three games. The Lions will punch it up the middle against the Tahs small pack, and the spread it wide against our compressed defense.

Honestly think it's the Crusaders to lose.

Edit: also drop goals? really.. on the list of things to find entertaining about rugby drop goals aren't that high up.

Last edited:
Edit: also drop goals? really.. on the list of things to find entertaining about rugby drop goals aren't that high up.

Really? I love Drop Goals. Ever since Joel Stransky and Jannie De Beer did it very well at World Cups, I loved it. But it seems to be a bit of a lost art. What is strange though is that Elton Jantjies slotted one against the Jags. Jantjies is one of those flyhalves who don't do that. It surprized me, and perhaps that is why I like it also. It's usually unexpected...

I don't see the tahs can beating the lions. The lions didn't even played to their strengths against us.
Their scrum is just a monster and will get them a lot of penalties.
Every knock on, every fwd pass will lead to a scrum and Lions will eat the tahs there. Plus, any other penalty they get.
From there they generally do their kick to corner, line out, maul thingie which, unless they are having an off day, is very very hard to stop.

Last game they had a bad game in that aspect but fortunately for them we gave away 21 points for free in the first half.

Sure, the tahs backs might be a tad better than the Lions' and could do some damage, but i think the lions pack will win this game.

I think the Waratahs would stand a good chance of beating the Hurricanes at home though.
Agreed, but of all 3 possible final locations Sydney is by far the least likely venue imo, although the thought of Canes vs Tahs in Aus is much more appealing to me than Saders vs Tahs in NZ. Who do you think is more likely to go to Christchurch and come back with the trophy, Lions or Tahs?

Interesting opinion. You may not think so but I find them entertaining, they crown close games, they tend to be utilised much more exclusively in finals now days because you don't need BPs in finals and only need to win them. Stransky won the world cup for his team in '95 with a risky DG, Wilkinson in '03 with mere seconds of extra time remaining destroyed Aussie dreams, both those moments alone are entertaining enough for me to warrant looking forward to drop goals in two tough playoff games methinks, and again, as a neutral I want to see close games with plenty lead swapping and DGs are conducive to that. Also, I find them entertaining but I never said that DGs are on TOP of my list of things I find entertaining about rugby, just something I'm hoping to see more of (it's the playoffs? lol)

Really? I love Drop Goals. Ever since Joel Stransky and Jannie De Beer did it very well at World Cups, I loved it. But it seems to be a bit of a lost art. What is strange though is that Elton Jantjies slotted one against the Jags. Jantjies is one of those flyhalves who don't do that. It surprized me, and perhaps that is why I like it also. It's usually unexpected...
Pretty much my sentiments, Elton reminding us that drop goals might be a deciding factor this weekend. 6 attempts across the whole season is pretty scant imo. Again, I reckon it's because teams would rather gun for a BP try then a DG win for obvious reasons.

Sure, the tahs backs might be a tad better than the Lions' and could do some damage, but i think the lions pack will win this game.
Agreed. The Lions forwards will be the danger point for the Tahs, and if they perform the basics right and provide a good platform for Elton then it should be another win. My worry though is the Lions' defence is not the best and they do tend to concede a fair amount of tries which will be a problem against the aforementioned backs and, provided the Tah's bring their A game on defence, it could be a really close game. The Tah's were extremely lucky last week imo with the YC and comeback and they can't rely on that happening again. Foley, Beale and Folau will be more important than ever this weekend, the Jags seemed to do well when the backs fired, especially Sanchez so If the Aussie playmakers fire it could very well make the difference.

Agreed, but of all 3 possible final locations Sydney is by far the least likely venue imo, although the thought of Canes vs Tahs in Aus is much more appealing to me than Saders vs Tahs in NZ. Who do you think is more likely to go to Christchurch and come back with the trophy, Lions or Tahs?.
Tough because neither really stand a snowflakes chance in hell. Tahs should have beaten them earlier in the season if Moody's blatant elbow to Beale's throat got punished. So maybe the Tahs? Lions are the better team though.

I just can't see the Lions winning against NZ opposition. They've had two stabs, including one at home.

I don't see the tahs can beating the lions. The lions didn't even played to their strengths against us.
Their scrum is just a monster and will get them a lot of penalties.
If Latu starts (which he won't but really should), thats a front row of Robertson, Latu, Kepu. Each of those front rowers achieved parity with the Irish pack, even beating them on a few occasions. I'm not actually as worried about the scrum as i am about the lineout and ruck.

Crusaders
15 David Havili
14 Seta Tamanivalu
13 Jack Goodhue
12 Ryan Crotty
11 George Bridge
10 Richie Mo'unga
9 Bryn Hall
8 Kieran Read
7 Matt Todd
6 Jordan Taufua
5 Sam Whitelock (captain)
4 Scott Barrett
3 Owen Franks
2 Codie Taylor
1 Joe Moody

Substitutes: 16 Andrew Makalio, 17 Tim Perry, 18 Michael Alaalatoa, 19 Luke Romano, 20 Pete Samu, 21 Mitchell Drummond, 22 Mitchell Hunt, 23 Braydon Ennor

Hurricanes

15 Nehe Milner-Skudder
14 Julian Savea
13 Jordie Barrett
12 Ngani Laumape
11 Ben Lam
10 Beauden Barrett
9 TJ Perenara
8 Blade Thomson
7 Gareth Evans,
6 Brad Shields (captain)
5 Sam Lousi
4 Michael Fatialofa
3 Jeff To'omaga-Allen
2 Ricky Riccitelli
1 Toby Smith

Substitutes: 16 James O'Reilly, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Ben May, 19 Vaea Fifita, 20 Ardie Savea/Reed Prinsep, 21 Jamie Booth, 22 Ihaia West, 23 Wes Goosen

never thought id ever say this but i hope the canes lose. they aint ready for finals rugby. if lions win and canes win then its in SA and on the road all those diff timezones isnt ideal on the body

Lions

15 Andries Coetzee
14 Ruan Combrinck
13 Lionel Mapoe
12 Harold Vorster
11 Aphiwe Dyantyi
10 Elton Jantjies
9 Ross Cronje
8 Warren Whiteley (captain)
7 Louren Erasmus
6 Kwagga Smith
5 Franco Mostert
4 Marvin Orie
3 Ruan Dreyer
2 Malcolm Marx
1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16 Corne Fourie, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Hacjivah Dayimani, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Dillon Smit, 22 Courtnall Skosan, 23 Howard Mnisi

Waratahs

15 Israel Folau
14 Alex Newsome
13 Curtis Rona
12 Kurtley Beale
11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
10 Bernard Foley (captain)
9 Nick Phipps
8 Michael Wells
7 Will Miller
6 Ned Hanigan
5 Rob Simmons
4 Jed Holloway
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tolu Latu
1 Tom Robertson

Substitutes: 16 Damien Fitzpatrick, 17 Harry Johnson-Holmes, 18 Paddy Ryan, 19 Tom Staniforth, 20 Brad Wilkin, 21 Jake Gordon, 22 Bryce Hegarty, 23 Cam Clark

Crusaders big favourites then for the ***le what with the winner of the Lions v Tah's match being at a major disadvantage with the travel to NZ.

Lions are so arrogant, Tahs are having a jol. Wait for the comeback tho..

Edit: Looove Foley's choice to go for the lineout 19 - 19, second half should be awesome
Edit 2: Waratahs scrum is so **** even when Phipps is putting the ball in scew
Edit 3: Lions deserved finalists, even over the Canes. Crusaders will still take it though

Last edited:
Great result for the Lions. Can't see them beating the Crusaders though (sadly)

Latest posts