• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

NVM = Nevermind - means I cocked up and can't delete posts - I was suggesting that Kunatani might be a replacement for Mikalcius; on the assumption that a Fijian 7s player would likely play wing - hadn't realised that he already played XVs in the backrow... so unlikely as a direct replacement (though it might explain freeing up some cap IF firing before the Prem starts works that way).
Or... you're looking to convert him to wing...
The club announcement is pretty focused on him as a back row I think so yeah. Clifford replacement maybe? Pacey back row.... Probs 20 shirt methinks

NVM = Nevermind - means I cocked up and can't delete posts - I was suggesting that Kunatani might be a replacement for Mikalcius; on the assumption that a Fijian 7s player would likely play wing - hadn't realised that he already played XVs in the backrow... so unlikely as a direct replacement (though it might explain freeing up some cap IF firing before the Prem starts works that way).
Or... you're looking to convert him to wing...
The club announcement is pretty focused on him as a back row I think

out of interest - where do we see him in the Quins pecking order?
I gotta say, that starting 7 shirt looks like it could be his if he settles in

Yep. I'd definitely agree with that.

6 is fairly well covered with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm, Luamanu and Lamb whereas 7 is less clear cut with Clifford (when fit), Wallace, Ward and White.

Clifford is better at 8 and very injury prone. Wallace is a bit one-dimensional - good as a tackler/fetcher but not much of a link player. Ward is willing but small and White works hard but I'm yet to be convinced he's Premiership standard.

Like I said on another thread apparently us Falcons are looking out for a prop to replace Scott Wilson.

Alby Mathewson is coming to Munster for 4 months to cover Conor Murray. I'd complain about guys behind Murray not being given chances if I didn't know for a fact they can't run with our first side. Murray being injured is mostly just awful news for Ireland's chances against the All Blacks in November, but our reliance on him was bound to come to haunt us eventually. Better now than this time next year.
Hope the injury at least gives Cronin and Stafford chances. Williams weaknesses and strengths are well known and Hart has looked pretty poor in the outings he's had.

Murray being injured is mostly just awful news for Ireland's chances against the All Blacks in November,

I thought he'd be back by then?

Either way, Munster now have 10? halfbacks on senior contracts. Some of them have to go surely. It's not a great sign if Munster don't trust their other SHs enough to cover for a few months and I'd complain about it if I wasn't seriously worried about the impact playing alongside Hard/Williams for several games in a row would have on Carbery's development.

Either way, Munster now have 10? halfbacks on senior contracts. Some of them have to go surely. It's not a great sign if Munster don't trust their other SHs enough to cover for a few months and I'd complain about it if I wasn't seriously worried about the impact playing alongside Hard/Williams for several games in a row would have on Carbery's development.
Most speculation has Murray out until the new year probably. And what scrum halves should we trust? Williams, our only other guy with experience is apparently injured as well and didn't feature in preseason, then we have Hart who is average and also can't play every minute. Beyond him we have a guy signed from the AIL and an academy guy, two completely unknown quantities who will probably get decent game time regardless. We can talk about trusting players all we want, but if the first half of Munster's season goes to hell because we don't have a competent 9 I don't particularly care.
It's the ten situation I think is more of a **** take. I feel like Keatley had a deal to play elsewhere fall through and now we're left with him, Bleyendaal (who I'm doubtful will ever have a meaningful injury free spell I'm sad to say), Hanrahan and Johnston, as well as the apparent Wunderkind. If indeed Tyler can't overcome injury, I feel one of Keatley and Hanrahan needs to go so there's a pool of three guys competing. My only worry is that Johnston is also very injury prone.
Otherwise I feel like we've managed our squad quite well and strengthened our team, but the 10 situation should have been sorted, although I do appreciate that with long term injured players things get complicated

Your youth is the price you must pay for Peter Stringer's soul. Also Sale have Mushy Buckley listed as a notable former player in their Wikipedia. Scarlet for you.
Ireland have Buckley listed in players who received double digits of caps.

Conor looking very doubtful to play this year. Season is risk depending on if surgery needed. Williams is a risk too and Pollard not too good.
On the 10 issue. Tyler looking unlikely to play again and Keatley is in talks wit 2 Top14 clubs. So Alby signing is more based on experience than depth and 10 isn't as good as it is made out.

Carbery probably in an even better situation now as well with no Murray there he can be the boss of these backs and if the training ground is any indicator well then get the tissues out and rotate hands hourly :)

He's just not head coach material. Good coach and a nice guy but he's been a disaster in the top jobs in multiple places that start with Lei and end with ster.

TBF his first stint was alright.

But yeh some people are not cut out for Head Coach role.
Trying to get a country assistant role at say Tonga again would be a good move.

Latest posts