• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Where is May rumoured to be off to?
Emergence of LRZ means Gloucester aren't necessarily in the market

Yikes, that's rough

Would be cool to see some world class talent going Newcastle's way, though

Ashton leaves sale with immediate effect

....are we over the cap or something?
That's three players gone now (though two were academy guys who weren't getting game time)

Only reason I can think of is that his injury has put him out for the rest of the season and his deal is up so we've let him leave early

Oorrr....... Salary cap

Corey Baldwin signs for Exeter

Welsh U20 outside centre.
Born in Surrey, family apparently always wanted him to play for England.

Also signed Aaron Hinkley. Very happy with that, he was awesome for the U20s. I imagine he'll be replacing Kvesic who's heavily rumoured to be off.

Only reason I can think of is that his injury has put him out for the rest of the season and his deal is up so we've let him leave early

Oorrr....... Salary cap
Only helps the cap if he goes straight to somewhere else (You don't have to pay loss of earning if he doesn't lose the earnings). If he doesn't then his salary is counted anyway (or it's all excluded anyway if he doesn't make a single match-day squad for the year).
The only thing that makes sense for a mid-season departure is a personal issue (Redpath); or a transfer to a club who needs him early (Matevesi).

Only helps the cap if he goes straight to somewhere else (You don't have to pay loss of earning if he doesn't lose the earnings). If he doesn't then his salary is counted anyway (or it's all excluded anyway if he doesn't make a single match-day squad for the year).
The only thing that makes sense for a mid-season departure is a personal issue (Redpath); or a transfer to a club who needs him early (Matevesi).
I thought the season was split in two so if they didn't play for either the first or second half you didn't count their salary against the cap?
I'm sure I heard something like that when people were discussing Sarries trying to get under the cap this season.

That said, I don't think it will be cap related - apparently him and Dorian West don't get on at all (from their Saints days) so maybe he just wants to cut his losses and leave.
He moves down to London to continue/up his media work and rehab his hamstring down there and then play for Quins next season.

I thought the season was split in two so if they didn't play for either the first or second half you didn't count their salary against the cap?
I'm sure I heard something like that when people were discussing Sarries trying to get under the cap this season.
First I've seen of that - and certinaly not what's in the regulations.
Basically, his salary is paid monthly; if his contract is terminated early, then the club pay him the rest anyway - unless it's a transfer, in which case the new club pays his salary.
If he doesn't play (for you) at all during the season, then his salary can be put outside of the cap (as happened with Attwood with his sojourn in Toulon - and was news to most of us at the time).
No mid-season split.

With Sarries the talk was of sorting out transfers / loans to move a percentage of the salary out of the cap; or acting early enough, and choosing not to play people at all, thus removing 100% of the salary from the cap.
The only thing I can think of for mid-season stuff was that the conditions on the initial punishment were that they'd show by midseason that they were going to be under the cap. The problem was that Sarries lied again, and didn't even try to do anything about it until mid-season; by which time, everyone was much too pissed off with them to lend a hand.

If he doesn't play (for you) at all during the season, then his salary can be put outside of the cap (as happened with Attwood with his sojourn in Toulon - and was news to most of us at the time).
Ah that's what I'm thinking of, and I think I'm just mis-remembering.
I remember people saying how Williams hadn't played for Saracens yet so they didn't have to count his salary against the cap - presumed it was a pro-rata rather than a "he can't play even once" kinda situation

Oorrr....... Salary cap
Times saying he had a big bust up with Dimes before last Friday's game following which they agreed on a parting of the ways.

Bloody hell, must have been bad to walk away fully - especially considering we've had some....characters.... through the club and none have clashed that bad with Dimes

Apparently him and Dorian West don't see eye to eye from his saints days, so maybe there's been an underlying current of it

Odds on him becoming the heaviest he's ever been?

Haha.

What ever you think about Sarries it says a lot about their culture and management that they completely turned Skelton round and got him to play some of his best ever rugby. Initially they refused to pick him because he was so badly out of nick - messaging that to an established international was a good bit of man management. And fair play to Skelton for listening, buckling down and not flouncing off.

Latest posts