• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Ibitoye confirmed to Agen.

Honestly if he didn't want to fight for the shirt then good riddance.

If it was really a money thing then I'm sad to see him go.

Either way, I don't think he or Agen have exactly conducted themselves well throughout this

A lot of it is rumour to be fair. It stems from him being in willing to accept reduced terms. From what I heard, he felt that he should be getting a big raise for scoring a few tries, didn't feel that COVID-19 cuts should be a barrier to that and opted not to return to training (that last part is 100% factual). I kind of get it, but it does raise questions on his self awareness. A bit like the Leicester 5 - except he was on his own.

Meanwhile, Agen were quite clearly trying to unsettle him and kept commenting on it publicly. It worked. All a bit distasteful and football-esque.

I don't blame him looking for better terms but the fact his joining a mid tier club for the money tells you all you need to know.

A poor show from all concerned IMO.

A lot of it is rumour to be fair. It stems from him being in willing to accept reduced terms. From what I heard, he felt that he should be getting a big raise for scoring a few tries, didn't feel that COVID-19 cuts should be a barrier to that and opted not to return to training (that last part is 100% factual). I kind of get it, but it does raise questions on his self awareness. A bit like the Leicester 5 - except he was on his own.

Meanwhile, Agen were quite clearly trying to unsettle him and kept commenting on it publicly. It worked. All a bit distasteful and football-esque.

I don't blame him looking for better terms but the fact his joining a mid tier club for the money tells you all you need to know.

A poor show from all concerned IMO.
The Insta post also

True ... he also posted on Instagram 'we outta here baby' when commenting on another leaver's post ... I think that was a bit overblown by some Quins fans, but it just felt a bit unprofessional and disrespectful.

Sale to sign him in 2 years time when Yarde leaves.
Heard it here first.

I mean it sounds like he was off when the news first went.
Sounding like Quins tried to get a development payment from Agen not sure if they got it and wouldn't be surprised if that was holding things up hence the Instagram post by Ibitoye.

Perhaps he likes the idea of being a big fish in a small pond? I looked at the Agen squad and genuinely, the only player I had heard of was Laurence Pearce.

Let's be honest, it can only be about money.

Quins have done the same thing with players just like every club.

TBH I think it's a clever move from him really.
He's going to be starting in a league known for having the biggest wingers in the world, whilst earning more money than he would do.
He won't be troubling England currently anyway.
2 years time 24 years old if it works out then plenty of English clubs will be after him, has a year to try and get himself a England spot.
If it doesn't he will have more money in the bank regardless.

He's going to be starting in a league known for having the biggest wingers in the world, whilst earning more money than he would do.
2 years time 24 years old if it works out then plenty of English clubs will be after him, has a year to try and get himself a England spot.
Plus he can work on his numerous glaring holes in his game away from the selectors - don't want EJ watch you fall off tackles every week when you can work on it in private and come back a better player

I don't doubt that. However, I don't think we (or most clubs I can think of) do it so publicly and shamelessly as Agen have in this case.

There's a number of ways to look at it ...

I'd understand more if Ibitoye was going to a better club then Agen but I'd question his ambition and how much development he's likely to get in a team in the lower half of the table with no obvious mentors. I'd argue he had more opportunity to learn from the likes of Ashton than he will from the Agen squad.

I'm not sure how true it is, but there's definitely some sentiment from the club that he's a little entitled and not that willing to work on the weaker parts of his game.

I may be entirely wrong. If he comes back a better player, I'll be happy to eat my words, but right now it feels like it's purely money.

I mean if Agen had agreed to sign him as a free agent but Quins tried to get a payment from it I can understand why they might have been somewhat shameless.

"No obvious mentors" what does that mean? Why surely thats a bonus rather than a incentive.
Yo take this pay cut cause you can learn from this 33 year old whose played for 6 clubs!
IDK at 22 I suspect that more Money + potential nailed on starter might = more than less money and more mentorship.

It's obviously purely money like pretty much most transfer moves are either more security or more money.

That's pretty much exactly what happened with Agen ...

I think we're all acknowledging the Ibitoye is a player with lots of potential but some obvious weaknesses. Is he ready to be an undisputed first choice? Having seen a lot of him, I don't think so.

At this point in his career, I think he could have benefitted more from being mentored by someone like Ashton rather than being first choice without anyone to really learn from. I don't know if that will help to improve his game.

If he'd have been going to Toulouse or Clermont I'd have a completely different opinion. I'm just not sure Agen have the players or coaching set up to take his game to the next level.

Sure, he's going to earn more money in the short term, but if he doesn't improve his game, he'll plateau on the financial front. If he'd stayed, taken a temporary hit, I think he could have been groomed as a future first choice and the financial reward (possibly test recognition too).

As I said, I might end up eating my words ...

Sure, he's going to earn more money in the short term, but if he doesn't improve his game, he'll plateau on the financial front. If he'd stayed, taken a temporary hit, I think he could have been groomed as a future first choice and the financial reward (possibly test recognition too).

As I said, I might end up eating my words ...
With rugby in the financial state that it's in right now it's very possible that in 5 years time Ibitoye could've been an international starter who's twice the player he is right now and still be on less money than he was before COVID. In the current state I can't blame anyone for grabbing a big pay cheque while they still can, even if it is career suicide.

Falcons have signed Italy lock forward Marco Fuser. Could be a good signing as we need some steel in the engine room.

With rugby in the financial state that it's in right now it's very possible that in 5 years time Ibitoye could've been an international starter who's twice the player he is right now and still be on less money than he was before COVID. In the current state I can't blame anyone for grabbing a big pay cheque while they still can, even if it is career suicide.
I don't think it is career suicide. It's not like he's the next guaranteed cab off the rank for Eng. Playing in a different culture with a different way of doing things can only be beneficial to his game and his personal development. If it isn't then that says a lot about him. He's only 22, he can spend 2 or 3 years over there and then come back and be in contention for Eng in his mid 20s if he's good enough.

Latest posts