• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

I know thems the rules, surely they could make an exception on a basis its a short term loan. He may not make it anyway and his contract may not allow it either but i think this istance should be an exception to the rule.
You'd imagine it's come up in negotiations/agreed not to happen - 6 month loan, but 2 months away for the Six Nations? Not really worth it for either party in that case

He'll be available for the summer (Shields set the precedent that all you need is a contract in England for the following season), which is also when he'd be more likely to be in contention, as England are likely to rest some of their RWC squad

sounds like NZRU got the better end of this deal, Auckland have a famously bad culture, players normally leave the Blues to improve, this way they might get a couple of months out of him before his form drops and they can send him home

Joe Marchant signs a three year extension for Quins but is also going to Super Rugby side Blues, on loan.

Interesting move - I imagine it'll do a lot for his development as a player, however you'd have thought he'd stick around to try and impress England bosses, especially in a post-RWC season where they'll look to fringe players more for the 6N/Summer Tour. Who's ahead of him at Quins?

That said, if RWC2023 is his goal then a cheeky season abroad now is the best time to do it.

He picked the wrong franchise for that... notorious graveyard of young talented players amounting to not much while they are with the Blues.

He'll be available for the summer (Shields set the precedent that all you need is a contract in England for the following season), which is also when he'd be more likely to be in contention, as England are likely to rest some of their RWC squad

Yep. I imagine the England set-up were in the loop on this and as he's signed a 3yr deal with Quins, I don't see why he'd be ineligible anyway.

His chances of making the 6N squad would have been pretty good but by no means guaranteed so I'd expect he's targeting the summer tour.

Why the Blues? Probably the chance to play with Beauden Barrett and the relative allure of Auckland over Christchurch, Hamilton or Dunedin.

Yep. I imagine the England set-up were in the loop on this and as he's signed a 3yr deal with Quins, I don't see why he'd be ineligible anyway.

His chances of making the 6N squad would have been pretty good but by no means guaranteed so I'd expect he's targeting the summer tour.

Why the Blues? Probably the chance to play with Beauden Barrett and the relative allure of Auckland over Christchurch, Hamilton or Dunedin.
...so you're saying he doesn't know what Aucklands like?...no culture...a CBD that's dead at night and on the weekend, just a series of shopping malls and suburbs...all of that on top of a poor rugby team...he's going to have a blast

Wellington is a better city and even Chch, once what bright lights the city has wear off you can get out, a few months a year you can ski in the morning and be at the beach in the avo...as well as you know...the crusaders...

the blues is just a bit weird

Poor BB gonna turn to poop

i'm worried the pressure of being the "last great hope" will hamper him, i can see them moving him back and forward between 10 and 15 to fix problems

He really should've gone to the Highlanders or Chiefs, he could probably have nailed down a starting spot at both of those places? Crusaders have enough good midfielders, same with the Hurricanes, Blues are a basket case and he has to live in Auckland. Yes it's the biggest city in NZ, but compared to any major world city it's woeful. Just a random collection of suburbs with an awful, soulless city centre. The regional cities are much nicer as Jabby says.

I can see him being shuffled around the backline with different combinations each week.

Shaun Edwards appointed French defence coach.

If they can get a solid defence then they could be very dangerous with some of their attacking players.

Hair dryer treatment doesn't have the same effect when you don't know what the guy's shouting at you.

Did he just walk out on Wigan then? Bit of a dick move to his boyhood club.

More Ospreys news Clarke is gone!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50562693

While I do feel he has a bit of a hard time regarding injuries and the squad not being up to scratch to begin with, there has been a number of unacceptable results and they have seemingly got worse.

Yeah, struggled his whole time at the O's. They have steadily gotten worse and worse with this season being completely unacceptable, regardless of the WC or injuries.

The question is though, who can they get to take his place? Some coaches might be tempted because they can't get much worse, and there's still a lot of potential in the region. Their uncertain future may put most off though given the almost merger last season + Gats' comments. The CVC money could be well timed though.....

Bundee Aki is staying in the City of the Tribes until 2023. Great news for the Westies to lock down their two biggest internationals after a World Cup.

Latest posts