• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Isiekwe to Saints on loan confirmed.
Great move for player and club.

I really want to see him in the national set up and the timing could be great (assuming we ever see international rugby again.....). Kruis will be out of the picture, possibly Itoje too if he's still eyeing a move to France. Lawes is now 31 and may be seen (by Jones) as more of a back rower while Launch is clearly not a first choice. Ewels has leapfrogged Isiekwe but surely only temporarily.

Apparently Boyd sees him as a 6. It makes sense given the retirement of Brussow and Eadie leaving, but if he wants to play test rugby, he'd be far better focusing on lock IMO. We have so much talent coming through across the back row which isn't really matched at lock.

That said, Eddie does like a lineout option at 6, so he might compete with Ted Hill as the bigger blindside option to complement our slightly smaller 7s.

Apparently Boyd sees him as a 6. It makes sense given the retirement of Brussow and Eadie leaving, but if he wants to play test rugby, he'd be far better focusing on lock IMO. We have so much talent coming through across the back row which isn't really matched at lock.

That said, Eddie does like a lineout option at 6, so he might compete with Ted Hill as the bigger blindside option to complement our slightly smaller 7s.
Was thinking of him primarily at lock but he has played at 6 quite regularly for Sarries so that's very possible.

Oh God, you can tell there's little going on, I'm starting to play fantasy 2023 RWC back rows again....

6. Isiekwe (25)
7. Curry (24)
8. Dombrandt (26)

All at their peak, power, pace, skill, line out, a 7 at 7, an 8 at 8. Stick that lot behind a powerful front 5 and I really wouldn't be that upset.

Yeah, I'm hoping Isiekwe can step into Kruis' boots, rather than push Underhill out of the squad.

It's a great move for Isiekwe to keep in the top flight, and on the surface it's a good signing for Saints but I don't think they'll gain much out of it. It will, inevitably, be a chaotic/shortened season, and he will likely be away with England a bit, and then he goes back to Sarries. I think it benefits Saracens more than it does Northampton.

I don't see him as a direct threat to Underhill TBH?

My thoughts are more in line with Tigs Man. We look like we're going to be very well stocked for back row options for the next little while. It's not as strong at lock. Basically, we've been a bit spoilt by having Itoje, Kruis, Lawes and Launchbury for the last few years and the crop behind them is nowhere near as strong.

Would rather have Willis or Hill as a future 6.

For me I see more flankers ready to step up to the next level than locks and Isiekwe in my eyes was one of those locks.

Flankers you have (age in 2023 RWC)
Curry 24
Curry 24
Underhill 26
Willis 26
Hill 24
Ludlam 27
Are you counting Earl as an 8 or 11? :)

I was looking at Isiekwe as a lock but as he's played a fair bit at 6 so it would be less a case of a "lock at 6" than with others. All depends what the coach wants and offers the option of horses for courses selections.

Aled Davies has signed for Sarries. Giving up a shot at Wales to play Championship rugby is a ballsy move I suppose, but then again Webb is coming in and there's the huge plus he won't have to play for the Ospreys ever again.
With Tomos Williams, Gareth Davies and Rhys Webb coming back, he could probably see the writing on the wall for his international chances.

Webb will be Osprey's No.1 now and they have two young 9s in Morgan and Morgan-Williams who will be getting more game time. Wouldn't surprise me even with Saracen's 'struggles' that he would get paid the same if not more at them next season. Kind of mad that he got 20 caps really, he's a decent enough club level player but his international career has just been 'well who else are we going to pick?'

Jesus some clearout at Connacht, 12 players gone and not just fringe guys I would have thought, there's a lot of experience there as well.

Tom McCartney - Retirement
Niyi Adeolokun
Darragh Leader
Eoin Mckeon
Kyle Godwin
Joe Maksymiw
David Horrowitz
Colby Fainga'a - Lyon
Robin Copeland - Soyaux Angouleme
Rory Burke
Peter McCabe
Angus Lloyd - Retiring to be a doctor

That's 12 guys out of a senior squad of 41 on their way out with 4 signings in Aungier, Oliver, Arnold and Dowling on the way in.

Last edited:
That is a disappointment. With Robshaw leaving I really hoped we might give him a chance to establish himself.

Jesus some clearout at Connacht, 12 players gone and not just fringe guys I would have thought, there's a lot of experience there as well.

Niyi Adeolokun
Darragh Leader
Eoin Mckeon
Kyle Godwin
Joe Maksymiw
David Horrowitz
Colby Fainga'a - Lyon
Rory Burke
Peter McCabe

That's 12 guys out of a senior squad of 41 on their way out with 4 signings in Aungier, Oliver, Arnold and Dowling on the way in.
Back to Aus? Could use Godwin at the Tahs

Niyi Adeolokun
Darragh Leader
Eoin Mckeon
Kyle Godwin
Joe Maksymiw
David Horrowitz
Colby Fainga'a - Lyon
Rory Burke
Peter McCabe

Any word on where niyi is off to? Assume it's France

Any of you Euro guys know what Skelton's contract status is? Since Rodda has bailed we could use him.

Humphreys now gone from Gloucester as well, and a bunch of their senior players have posted cookie cutter tweets about it - looks like the rumours of the players dictating the coaching staff may have some weight behind them.

Humphreys now gone from Gloucester as well, and a bunch of their senior players have posted cookie cutter tweets about it - looks like the rumours of the players dictating the coaching staff may have some weight behind them.
Cookie cutter tweets?

Cookie cutter tweets?
The tweets are really similar, as if one got passed around and they were told to reword it.

It has been a unique time for everyone. In the last month @gloucesterrugby has had some changes - I can assure fans that we have an excited and talented squad that will take the learnings & the best is yet to come

Lots has happened over the last few weeks at @gloucesterrugby but as fans be assured that we still have a hugely talented and very hungry squad and the potential going forward is massive! The future is bright the future is Red White #Glawsfamily

It'll just be their social media manager that's done it (like Sarries "something special" era) but I loves a good conspiracy

Latest posts