• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 1: South Africa v Australia (20/07/2019)

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
rugby-championship.png

MfOD7Ws.png
j7lEIMe.png
SxGOCQa.png

Venue: Ellis Park
Time: 17:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

South Africa: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Francois Louw, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth (captain), 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Marvin Orie, 20 Marcell Coetzee, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Dillyn Leyds

Australia: 15 Tom Banks , 14 Dane Haylett-Petty, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Samu Kerevi, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nic White, 8 Isi Naisarani, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, 5 Rory Arnold, 4 Izack Rodda, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Folau Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper

Substitutes: 16 Jordan Uelese, 17 Harry Johnson-Holmes, 18 Taniela Tupou, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Jack Dempsey, 21 Will Genia, 22 Matt To'omua, 23 Kurtley Beale

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be at this one. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. The Boks are apparently naming a 15-man squad tomorrow that will be going to New Zealand to prepare, while the rest remain to play against Australia. Seems like we are using this Rugby Championship as a warm-up for the World Cup and we aren't taking it seriously to win, which is disappointing but it's also not the first time we have done this (I remember once having Peter Grant playing for us in a World Cup year as well).

Will be quite interesting if we go with a clear A-team B-team, or if we are just doing a complete mix-up.

Thanx @saulan for putting up the match threads. My PC crashed and will hopefully get it back tomorrow.

I'm interested to see the team for this match with it essentially being a "b"-team for us with 15 guys already in New Zealand for next week's game.

Eben Etzebeth will captain for the Boks in this game. And Marco van Staden has been released by the Bulls to play for the Boks on the weekend.

Talk that JOC could be in the Wallaby side,

Always been a fan of JOC, and he was finding some serious form for us when he managed to string a few games together (which was rare with his injury record).

One of the only guys in that side that might be able to predict what Faf is gonna do from the base of a ruck, as well.

Talk that JOC could be in the Wallaby side,

Always been a fan of JOC, and he was finding some serious form for us when he managed to string a few games together (which was rare with his injury record).

One of the only guys in that side that might be able to predict what Faf is gonna do from the base of a ruck, as well.

AFAIK Faf won't play this game either as he's earmarked to play next week. I think Cobus Reinach will start with Herschell Jantjes on the bench.

I see JOC signed with the Reds.

AFAIK Faf won't play this game either as he's earmarked to play next week. I think Cobus Reinach will start with Herschell Jantjes on the bench.

Makes sense, both from a gametime standpoint and also form - while Faf has been playing well this season Cobus has been the best scrumhalf in the premiership by quite a large amount.

The squad has not been announced as I'm writing this but can we please stop following the media narrative that this is a b team? I actually think that whatever team gets picked tomorrow might really impress us, win the game, sit out the next game against the all blacks and then when we play Argentina we would see a mix of both teams.

There will be some of the untested foreign players tested in this game such as Reinach, Frans Steyn, Elstad etc... so some of these guys and other locally based players might really impress us so much that after the All Black game that serious debates will be prevalent across South Africa regarding selection.

I think this is a master stroke. Not a b or a or c team but rather a different kind of selection, one which maybe incorporates a European based Flavour. I have a feeling that the team that is going to beat the Wallabies on Saturday might actually be able to beat the so called A team if they were pitted against each other.

With the above in mind this is the squads I think will firstly start against the Wallabies and then against the All Blacks.

XV for Wallabies
15. Francois Steyn
14. Cheslin Kolbe
13. Lukhanyo Am
12. Esterhuizen
11. Mapimpi
10. Jantjies
9. Reinach
8. Marcel Coetzee
7. Pieter Steph du Toit
6. Elstadt
5. RG Snyman
4. Lood se Jager
3. Koch /du Toit / Nyakane
2.Brits
1.Mtawarira

All black XV
15. Willie le Roux
14 probably Mapimpi again
13. Kriel
12. De Allende
11.Nkosi
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. Pieter steph du Toit
6. Kwagga
5. Mostert
4. Etzebeth
3. Kitshoff
2. Marx
1. Malherbe

And then to prove my point above this is what I think or strongest combined Xv would be from available players and one we might see against Argentina or against The friendly vs Japan before the World Cup.

15. Le Roux
14. Nkosi
13. Kriel
12. Francois Steyn
11. Mapimpi
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. Jean luc du Preez
6. Coetzee
5. Pieter Steph du Toit
4. Etzebeth
3. Kitshoff
2. Marx
1. Koch

Sorry, I struggle to remember which props plays tighthead and which plays loosehead

And then to prove my point above this is what I think or strongest combined Xv would be from available players and one we might see against Argentina or against The friendly vs Japan before the World Cup.
15. Le Roux
14. Nkosi
13. Kriel
12. Francois Steyn
11. Mapimpi
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. Jean luc du Preez
6. Coetzee
5. Pieter Steph du Toit
4. Etzebeth
3. Kitshoff
2. Marx
1. Koch

Not sure if players were omitted because they were injured, or if this is what you think is the best team we can put out. Decided to put up what I think the best team is/ will likely be:
15. Le Roux
14. Dyantyi
13. Kriel
12. De Allende
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. Kolisi
6. Pieter Steph du Toit
5. Lood De Jager
4. Etzebeth
3. ? (no one really stands out for me here, Malherbe was incumbent but had a a pretty average Super Rugby season. Think the Rugby Championship will determine this position)
2. Marx
1. Beast/Kitshoff

Not sure if players were omitted because they were injured, or if this is what you think is the best team we can put out. Decided to put up what I think the best team is/ will likely be:
15. Le Roux
14. Dyantyi
13. Kriel
12. De Allende
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. Kolisi
6. Pieter Steph du Toit
5. Lood De Jager
4. Etzebeth
3. ? (no one really stands out for me here, Malherbe was incumbent but had a a pretty average Super Rugby season. Think the Rugby Championship will determine this position)
2. Marx
1. Beast/Kitshoff

Mostert is the best SA Lock and starts Plus is a giant at Lineouts

Mostert & RG Synman starts with Lood DJ/Etzebeth on bench

Etzebeth is so overrated Injury prone and poor discipline

I'd have Mapimpi at wing ahead of Nkosi He can actually defend &

doesn't rush in and leave the flanks exposed like Nkosi & Dyanti do all to often

15. Le Roux
14. Dyantyi
13. Kriel
12. De Allende
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. Kolisi
6. Pieter Steph du Toit
5. Lood De Jager
4. Etzebeth
2. Marx
1. Beast/Kitshoff

Yes I left out the injured players such as Dyanti and Kolisi. I would have included them otherwise. If we started including injured players in the selection then guys like Serfontein would come in.

Also sorry but I cheated a bit by including one injured player at 7 In my combined best xv

The team will be announced this afternoon. Then we'll know who is also on the plane to NZ as they are flying out today as well.

Mostert is the best SA Lock and starts Plus is a giant at Lineouts

Mostert & RG Synman starts with Lood DJ/Etzebeth on bench

Etzebeth is so overrated Injury prone and poor discipline

I'd have Mapimpi at wing ahead of Nkosi He can actually defend &

doesn't rush in and leave the flanks exposed like Nkosi & Dyanti do all to often
Respectfully disagree with most of what you're saying.

Nkosi is a better defender than Mampimpi (who is the better offensive wing) Dyantyi and Nkosi rushing out to outside centre is a tactical thing, when it doesn't work it looks embarrassing but when it does work it works well.

Etzebeth's ill discipline is what's overrated his numbers just don't match the narrative especially in the last 4 or 5 years. Mostert is really good I'll grant you but is an overseas player and has never really been better than the likes of Lood/Eben/PTSD at their best.

Side note: Apparently the two Jantjies's will start this weekend at 9 and 10.

I'm looking forward to his championship which will be streamed on ESPN+ for anyone who can't watch it on TV. I'm rooting for Australia because I've visited there. :cool:

Pretty decent team that! 3 debutants in Elstadt, Jantjes and Gqoboka. Only guy I'm concerned about is Orie.

Gives us a pretty good idea who will play next week as well.

Pretty decent team that! 3 debutants in Elstadt, Jantjes and Gqoboka. Only guy I'm concerned about is Orie.

I'm impressed with that forwards pack, it's just massive. Am a bit concerned about the backs though, specifically 10 and 15. But at least we have some decent cover if there is some poor performances that lead to a knock in confidence. EJ is very much a confidence player.

Hmm the team is actually quite a bit stronger than I thought it would be, some of these starters looked locked on as our first choice players, especially with injuries, namely: PSDT/Etzebeth/Nkosi.

I confess that my selection predictions was inaccurate. I was bamboozled by the selections of Rassie, and maybe Cheika was too.

What is our best attempt to predict the starting team vs the All Blacks now? Does this mean that RG Snyman and Mostert will start the AB game?

My best guess for the starting lineup based on the players that were left out will be
15. Le Roux
14. Nkosi (Because he is ahead of Mapimpi, and Dyanti is injured)
13. Am (because Jesse Kriel is playing in SA)
12. De Allende (Both Steyn and Esterhuizen is playing against AUS, one of them will be on the bench vs AB)
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. PSDT
6. Kwagga
5. Mostert
4. Snyman
3. Kitshoff
2. Marx
1. Malherbe

Out of my original predicitions for the starting 15 in NZ in seemed to have correctly predicted 11/15

If the bench looks like this then this team could be scary at the world cup
16. Brits
17. Du Toit
18. Koch
19. Etzebeth
20. Coetzee
21. Reinach
22. Steyn
23. Mapimpi

I confess that my selection predictions was inaccurate. I was bamboozled by the selections of Rassie, and maybe Cheika was too.

What is our best attempt to predict the starting team vs the All Blacks now? Does this mean that RG Snyman and Mostert will start the AB game?

My best guess for the starting lineup based on the players that were left out will be
15. Le Roux
14. Nkosi (Because he is ahead of Mapimpi, and Dyanti is injured)
13. Am (because Jesse Kriel is playing in SA)
12. De Allende (Both Steyn and Esterhuizen is playing against AUS, one of them will be on the bench vs AB)
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. Faf
8. Vermeulen
7. PSDT
6. Kwagga
5. Mostert
4. Snyman
3. Kitshoff
2. Marx
1. Malherbe

Out of my original predicitions for the starting 15 in NZ in seemed to have correctly predicted 11/15

If the bench looks like this then this team could be scary at the world cup
16. Brits
17. Du Toit
18. Koch
19. Etzebeth
20. Coetzee
21. Reinach
22. Steyn
23. Mapimpi

I think that is a fair assumption yes. But Dyanthi might also play against the AB's. He was just ruled out of the Australia game, but seems like it's a minor ****le.

The thing is that I think that some of the guys on the bench for this week like Marcel Coetzee and Frans Steyn might also be in contention to start next week, but because they weren't in the squad last year, they are getting a run off the bench this week just to get familiar with the setup.

Latest posts