• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 1: South Africa v Australia (20/07/2019)

The result hasn't changed my opinion. Splitting a squad looks bad no matter how you want to spin it. Using the rugby championship as a world cup warm up devalues the RC. I'm doubly delighted the world league didn't get the go-ahead.

Well, Wales (& Ireland but to a lesser extent) did a similar thing for the Italy games during the 6N... Boks won, pretty convincingly too. I personally think that vindicates the decision.

Last edited:
Well, Wales (& Ireland but to a lesser extent) did a similar thing for the Italy games during the 6N... Boks won, pretty convincingly too. I personally think that vindicates the decision.

Splitting their squads?
I presume you mean rotating/resting. When pro14 teams do it we never hear the end of how it devalues the competition but pro14 teams have no choice due to player burnout.

Splitting their squads?
I presume you mean rotating/resting. When pro14 teams do it we never hear the end of how it devalues the competition but pro14 teams have no choice due to player burnout.

I just have the perspective that if you make a 'debatable' decision and it comes off for you... the debatable decision is vindicated.

I remember Gats got a load of flack for his 10 changes against Italy but that's now 10 more caps worth of experience for players who haven't got a load of caps anyway in the build up to a World Cup. Same for SA, they got the win and managed to introduce/reintroduce some players who they may well need before the end of the year.

As much as I love the 6N (& as much as I'd imagine most SA fans love the Rugby Championship) sometimes (like every 4 years or so) there is a bigger picture.

Northern Hemisphere teams don't have a tournament that subjects them to jet-lag like SH teams do. I would say it makes absolute sense to ensure that 15 players go to NZ ahead of time, in order to get used to the time differences in good time. It allows for the opportunity to test depth. We have had a problem this last year at number 9. When Faf comes off, we have gone off the boil in the last 10-15 minutes. We have now unearthed Herschel Jantjies who will hopefully do well as an impact sub, or as a starter, should Faf not be fit.

Well done Rassie on having the faith and for giving him the chance. Profitius, you would presumably have played Faf and given Herschel 10 mins, so as to not "disrespect" the tournament?

If anything Australia disrespect the tournament by being so.bad and not even being able to sell out a 25k seater stadium with free tickets.

8th man is such a **** name for the position.

Well, to put it in perspective in Afrikaans we call it "Agtste Man" which is a direct translation for 8th Man. But it was long ago called "Agterste Man", which means the man behind or at the back (of the scrum). I think it's a rather fitting name actually.

As for the game. Man oh man.

We showed absolutely zero respect to Australia. Our second string team smashed them. Our Debutants were great, and I'm glad our rusty guys got a chance to shake the cobwebs off.

Herschell Jantjies was great! That snipe try in the second half was a thing of beauty.

Frans Steyn's cameo showed what a talent he is, and I think poor old disrespected Bernard Foley is going to have a lot of bruises thanks to him.

Etzebeth coming back from a long injury, doing great as stand-in captain and also showing no respect to the aussies as he bashed into them time after time.

Elstadt is one of the unsung heroes for me. The way he cleared the rucks and tackled around the fringes was just brilliant.

Surely we have better wings than Nkosi? From the start I've felt he is weak on defense and this past match cemented my suspicions. IMO he is also afraid to commit to a tackle especially against a bigger opponent. He scores one try and everyone thinks he had a brilliant game.

I know he can have his issues but i don't understand why Beale isn't a nailed on starter.

congrats boks
cheika youre a sooky. tupou was just plain stupid. u had the penalty and then do a meaningless late cleanout. sheesh. cant believe cheika's complaining about the ref instead of blowing tupou up for being a moron
no complaints about disrespect here. fully justified and it paid off

Im surprisingly happy with that result. We looked the goods in the first half, and really should have gone in with the lead.
Agreed, I really felt like Australia could do whatever they wanted towards the end of the first half, but then... Woof.

Have to say I am excited to see how herchel Jantjies will perform vs NZ this weekend , Rassie will start with Faf I guess but I would love if Herchel atleast get 20 min or so off the bench. He seems like our next fourie du Preez lets just hope he can continue this form.

Well, to put it in perspective in Afrikaans we call it "Agtste Man" which is a direct translation for 8th Man. But it was long ago called "Agterste Man", which means the man behind or at the back (of the scrum). I think it's a rather fitting name actually.

As for the game. Man oh man.

We showed absolutely zero respect to Australia. Our second string team smashed them. Our Debutants were great, and I'm glad our rusty guys got a chance to shake the cobwebs off.

Herschell Jantjies was great! That snipe try in the second half was a thing of beauty.

Frans Steyn's cameo showed what a talent he is, and I think poor old disrespected Bernard Foley is going to have a lot of bruises thanks to him.

Etzebeth coming back from a long injury, doing great as stand-in captain and also showing no respect to the aussies as he bashed into them time after time.

Elstadt is one of the unsung heroes for me. The way he cleared the rucks and tackled around the fringes was just brilliant.

2 things.

1. The way the Aussies were whining after the match makes me think that they know they are in trouble and they are lashing out.
2. Should be able to work out the Bok team for the all blacks, as Rassie said that some of the Saturday travellers may be in the starting 15, some of the Sunday travellers may be on the bench. That means there is a hierarchy between the travellers.

2 things.

1. The way the Aussies were whining after the match makes me think that they know they are in trouble and they are lashing out.
2. Should be able to work out the Bok team for the all blacks, as Rassie said that some of the Saturday travellers may be in the starting 15, some of the Sunday travellers may be on the bench. That means there is a hierarchy between the travellers.
Arg please don't lump the rest of us in with Kearns and Cheika.

They are grade A fuckwits.

Not a great showing against one of the weakest AU teams I have ever seen.
Still a good win with 5 tries and will give must needed moral conviction and that is what could lead to greater things.

Midfield defense is weak, Frans Steyn would be the best option at 12
Players in my view that could aim to get staring positions going forward is Frans Steyn, Marcell Coetzee and the usuals of Piet StD, Lood and Eben
Koch and Elstadt needs more time to convince me

Better start to a World Cup year, need a good showing against the All Blacks now

Latest posts