• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 3: Argentina vs. South Africa (10/08/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
eR0RXYg.png

77TMMVD.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena
Time: 21:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Argentina: 15 Emiliano Boffelli, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Matias Moroni, 12 Jeronimo de la Fuente, 11 Ramiro Moyano, 10 Nicolas Sanchez, 9 Tomas Cubelli, 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Javier Ortega Desio, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Marcos Kremer, 4 Matias Alemanno, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Agustin Creevy, 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro

Substitutes: 16 Julian Montoya, 17 Mayco Vivas, 18 Santiago Medrano, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Tomas Lezana, 21 Gonzalo Bertanou, 22 Benjamin Urdapilleta, 23 Joaquin Tuculet

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Kwagga Smith, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: Malcolm Marx, Steven Kitshoff, Frans Malherbe, RG Snyman, Francois Louw, Herschel Jantjies, Frans Steyn, Jesse Kriel.

Last edited:
im not even sure who i want to win here. boks have always been my favourite adversaries but then puma's have been one of my favourite underdogs and now they are reaching their potential.
good luck both teams. may there be amazing rugby played and in good spirits with no injuries

im not even sure who i want to win here. boks have always been my favourite adversaries but then puma's have been one of my favourite underdogs and now they are reaching their potential.
good luck both teams. may there be amazing rugby played and in good spirits with no injuries

That's so nice of you, thanks. But I'm wondering if you say that because of the RC curse in the world Cup year? Maybe Ab supporters want the Boks to win to avoid the WC curse :rolleyes:

So I would like to see more expirementation. Not too much. Keep most of our best squad but try out some players and give them a chance to make the world Cup squad. START Reinach, Steyn, Coetzee, Koch, Louw. RASSIE should tell them show me why you deserve a place in the world Cup squad. Trust me these guys have the calibre to play for the Springboks and if we give them that wc motivation then they won't be letting us down in trying to win the RC which South Africa might need to do with a bonus point.

That's so nice of you, thanks. But I'm wondering if you say that because of the RC curse in the world Cup year? Maybe Ab supporters want the Boks to win to avoid the WC curse :rolleyes:

So I would like to see more expirementation. Not too much. Keep most of our best squad but try out some players and give them a chance to make the world Cup squad. START Reinach, Steyn, Coetzee, Koch, Louw. RASSIE should tell them show me why you deserve a place in the world Cup squad. Trust me these guys have the calibre to play for the Springboks and if we give them that wc motivation then they won't be letting us down in trying to win the RC which South Africa might need to do with a bonus point.

Yeah, I don't think we'll see as much experimentation as we'd want. I think Rassie is going to put out a very strong team, as this is our 2nd last game before the World Cup.

I think it's more about tweaking a few things that might still bug him before we go to the World Cup. And I have a suspicion that Rassie wants the cup RC trophy too.

No way. I'd like NZ to do a grand slam. Take the super ***le, RC,bledisloe and WC in one season.

Yeah, I don't think we'll see as much experimentation as we'd want. I think Rassie is going to put out a very strong team, as this is our 2nd last game before the World Cup.

I think it's more about tweaking a few things that might still bug him before we go to the World Cup. And I have a suspicion that Rassie wants the cup RC trophy too.

yes if i was rassie i would try to trash argentina and try to grab the RC why not? is almost there. its just one game it wont make a diference at the word cup.
spcecially that we bet everyting vs the abs and lost. nothing to loose so i guess ledesma is gonna field a b or experimental team for this
bocks by 15+ :(
it could be great if SA gets this year RC it could be a historic doble crown

yes if i was rassie i would try to trash argentina and try to grab the RC why not? is almost there. its just one game it wont make a diference at the word cup.
spcecially that we bet everyting vs the abs and lost. nothing to loose so i guess ledesma is gonna field a b or experimental team for this
bocks by 15+ :(
it could be great if SA gets this year RC it could be a historic doble crown

Not only that, we play each other again on the 17th of August, so why not go for the ***le in this match.

I want Argentina to win, but I think South Africa is just too strong. The Springboks should win it.

I honestly don't know want to expect from this game. On paper both teams are strong (I think both coaches will experiment in next game) but as we continue playing last previous games it will be tough. However I don't think SA will win with BP so I predict NZ as champs.

The Pumas team have been announced, I've added it to the OP.

Update: The Bok team has also been announced and added to the OP.

Last edited:
so no real experimentation form either side. argentina continue to thrash their top team, I hope that doesn't come back to bite them. the springboks is the same as last week except the starting and bench front row have swapped?

so no real experimentation form either side. argentina continue to thrash their top team, I hope that doesn't come back to bite them. the springboks is the same as last week except the starting and bench front row have swapped?

Yup.

And I think the reason being the set pieces. Australia smashed the Argies in the scrums, and when this Springbok front row came on against the AB's they did the same thing to the AB's pack. So my suspicion is that Rassie is going to look at whether this front row can do the same against the Argies from the first set piece and let us build momentum.

Also I think psychologically Rassie will want to actually win the RC, even though it doesn't mean much in practical terms. So he needs to try and secure a BP win with a strong side.

If Argentina lose this, they're out of the top 10.
If Argentina win by 3 tries, they give the wooden spoon to the All Blacks.

South Africa need a draw to win the Championship. (Checked the rules, LBP is not sufficient)

Last edited:
If Argentina lose this, they're out of the top 10.
If Argentina win by 3 tries, they give the wooden spoon to the All Blacks.

South Africa can lose by 7 and still win the Championship.

The fact that there is even a possibility that the AB's could take the spoon at this stage is just something I never even imagined would happen.

I last posted in Nov 2016. I can't believe it's been that long. But i'm glad i'm back. Rugby World Cup year :)

Boks don't look too bad, although Faf's kicking game is still really poor.

Latest posts