• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2019 Rugby Europe Championship

I went back and watched the Romania match, they look obsessed with offloading, which makes for some risky play. But long term this will benefit them. Melinte at fullback is becoming a genuine talent. He can make line breaks from a standing start (receiving an awful path) and he seems to have a decent sense of positioning for one so young. Nice interception of a cross kick for a try.

Spain will APPARENTLY play a weakened side in Georgia but then saying that their squad for the game seems pretty strong so I'll go with Georgia by 18.
No need to say apparently. 16 players from national league among 23. Only three guys from Agen can consider themselves fully professional players.

If by miracle this works it will be down to the work of the staff with extended squads and monthly training camps, meaning most of players know the team and are used to routines and playbook, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comical wind in Georgia. Spanish fullback kicked to touch and ball lost 5 yards and went out at his own try line -which just about summed it up. 24-10 to Georgia.

Highlights of games being posted by Rugby Europe.

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/news

Highlights from Romania Germany

Yes indeed, many handling errors for Romania due to liberal use of risky passes, not only offloading. I am not a big fan of offloading buuuut...I've seen some changes e.g. players do try offloads in certain areas and not all over the field or in any phase.

I watched most of the first half of Romania v Germany and we were awful there. I fear this will end in relegation, we seem to get worse instead of better.

I watched most of the first half of Romania v Germany and we were awful there. I fear this will end in relegation, we seem to get worse instead of better.

Yes. Portugal are capable of beating Belgium or Germany in a playoff and it is hard to see what side Germany can beat to avoid relegation. Seems you are getting your former Wild academy players but it isn't making a difference?

Nothing against Portugal, but it would be not be a good development for rugby in Europe for Germany to get relegated. It is so hard to get promoted back into the REC.

This weekend the REC takes centre stage again.

Belgium vs Georgia (likely another near sellout will see Belgium put up a stiff fight, but gradually be overpowered) - Georgia by 17

Germany vs Russia (maybe a 20% chance for Germany to pull off a shock and avoid the relegation playoff. I think Russia may crush them) - Russia by 30

Spain vs Romania (arguably the most competitive fixture of the weekend. Spain must be favourites at home, a win for Romania would be very positive at this stage of their redevelopment. Spain seem quite a stingy defence at home) - Spain by 6

Oaks lineup for match vs Spain:

1.Constantin Pristavita (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
2. Eugen Capatina (Timisoara Saracens),
3. Alexandru Tarus (Sale Sharks),
4.Johan Van Heerden(Perpignan),
5.Marius Antonescu (Colomiers),
6. Andre Gorin (Massy),
7. Mihai Macovei (C)(Colomiers)
8. Cristi Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare),
9.Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua),
10. Florin Vlaicu(CSM Bucuresti),
11.Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua),
12. Tangimana Fonovai (CSM Bucuresti),
13.Catalin Fercu (Timisoara Saracens)
14.Vladut Zaharia(Timisoara Saracens),
15. Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

16. Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare),
17. Iulian Hartig (CSM Bucuresti),
18.Alexandru Gordas(CSM Bucuresti),
19. Dorin Lazar (Timisoara Saracens),
20. Adrian Ion (CSM Bucuresti),
21.Tudorel Bratu (CSM Bucuresti),
22.Daniel Plai (CSA Steaua),
23.Nicolas Onutu (CSM Bucuresti)

Here's the full match, Spain 21 - 18 Romania

Despite the loss, there is a positive progression in Oaks game, however personal mistakes gifted the match to Spaniards. Also Oaks should accomodate to play against hostile refs in Madrid as offsides and obstructions from Spain were widely tolerated and some decisions were very questionable. It is the second year after the Bayonne basque who was ref in 2018 and allowed punches and side entries in front of him. Again the yellow for Spain come too late when it was anyway a Romanian player also on sin bin. I really support a protest of FRR against the ref from this game, he missed too many for only one side.

As for positives a young Romanian front row (23 yo on on median) pushed back few meters Spanish scrum (again, not sanctioned by ref in two occasions) and generally the young players (Chirica, Zaharia, Cojocaru, Hartig, Gordas, Onutu) were good. Simionescu and Plai didn't have a good match but not catastrophic, I think they both deserve more chances. Without one of personal mistakes of Vlaicu and Plai, pure gifts to the opponent, probably the match would have been won.

No full match there, there are 20 minutes missing. There's a cut as well in Rugby Europe's Dailymotion channel but it's shorter:

my bad, I thought the broadcaster post the complete match...

A team like Romania now being ranked 20th is actually not a bad sign of the strength of Tier2. Obviously their coaching changes and youthful experimentation deflates their ranking. I'd argue every Tier 2 side above them would give Tonga and Samoa a good match.

I dont agree on the ref amz. He seemed a bit quick to issue cards, but his touch judge flagged against a Romanian for a "kick" and the ref waved it off after seeing the TMO. His yellow card for the Spaniards for persistent fouling was just as harsh as his first yellow for Romania (high tackle without going to TMO). Surugiu was stupid and deserved his yellow.

I think if Plai doesn't cut out some errors in the remaining REC games then the coaches will be looking for alternatives. I hope he gets time, his pass for the Zaharia try was a thing of beauty. Not quite up there with Finn Russel's last year, but still pretty tasty.

What TMO?

Good point! Man, I watched so much rugby I could be getting my games muddled up with US vs Uruguay (which presumably had a TMO, unlike the REC). I'm sure his touch judge on the far side flagged a Romanian for stamping which stopped play (in reality he was being held by a Spaniard and had to jerk his leg free so he didn't fall and hurt himself). Ref overruled touch judge after having run over to the near side (I presumed TMO but commentary wasn't in English).

If the events I recall dont ring any bells then just ignore me!

It's not even like the sides involved even wear similar colours.

Oaks squad vs Russia.

1.Constantin Pristavita (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
2. Eugen Capatina (Timisoara Saracens)
3. Alexandru Tarus (Sale Sharks)
4.Johan Van Heerden(Perpignan)
5.Marius Antonescu (Colomiers)
6. Andre Gorin (Massy)
7. Adrian Ion (C)(CSM Bucuresti)
8. Cristi Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
9.Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua)
10. Florin Vlaicu(CSM Bucuresti)
11.Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
12. Tangimana Fonovai (CSM Bucuresti)
13.Nicolas Onutu (CSM Bucuresti)
14.Vladut Zaharia(Timisoara Saracens)
15. Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

Subs:
16. Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
17. Iulian Hartig (CSM Bucuresti)
18.Alexandru Gordas(CSM Bucuresti)
19. Ionut Muresan (Timisoara Saracens)
20. Dorin Lazar (Timisoara Saracens)
21. Alexandru Tigla (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
22. Ionel Melinte (CSA Steaua)
23. Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)

Captain Macovei and Fercu are out injured. Muresan (lock, TM) and Ser (backrow, CSM, 20 yo this week) were added to the squad.

Plai dropped, presumably for his horrendous knock on and wild inconsistency? I've lost touch amz, who is the backup fly half and how do you rate them?

Netherlands vs Portugal in the Trophy tomorrow will likely be the decider for who the relegation game will be against.

Those two seem to be a cut above the rest in the Trophy, and both are currently ranked higher than Germany.

Latest posts