• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2019 Rugby Europe Championship

So this weekend it is:

Romania vs Russia (too close to call, definitely tie of the round)
Georgia vs Germany (expect Georgia to run riot with their improving back play)
Spain vs Belgium (should also be routine)

I think I'll check out the Romania game and then the Portugal one (if streamed).

I think that Russia will win by 8, they seem to have played very well in the tournament so far with the exception of that first game against Spain. It should be a good game though and I look forward to it.

I'm excited to see Georgia's backline also, Aprasidze and Abzhandadze are starting together at 9 and 10 respectively for the first time at senior level. They looked brilliant in the U20s together so I really hope they put in a good show together. They are the future of this team. Georgia by 25.

Spain are out for revenge against Belgium after THAT game last year in the REC. Spain are at home though so I will go with Spain by 20 there.

Portugal against Netherlands should be a good game. Two young exciting teams with plenty of potential. Portugal's team has an average age of something like 23(?) and as I say Netherlands also have a good youth team coming through.

Romania bossing the first half, purely with their pack. Russia the ones looking to play running rugby. I can't blame Romania, they could really do with a win against a decent side to restore some confidence.

16-5 towards end of first half.

22-20 Romania. Russia scored a try in the last minute but missed the conversion. Well done Romania, they played very well today

I thought Romania were going to choke again at the end. They really seem to tighten up in second halves during this REC, hopefully they can relax a little after this.

Portugal win in Netherlands to almost certainly secure a promotion playoff with Germany.

Georgia won today 52-3 against Germany. They looked like a really good team today and their backs are very much improved with one winger scoring a hat trick. This is a young team as well and I can see a really good future for them. The back row also is unbelievably powerful. Those observations are from over the tournament and not just a game against Germany (who looked a totally different team from the repechage).

Spain also won against Belgium today comfortably. No surprises there really and not a lot to say about the game other than I hope the injured lad gets well soon. Really bad injury it seems.

22-20 Romania. Russia scored a try in the last minute but missed the conversion. Well done Romania, they played very well today

Romania actually played really bad. I didn't see the game plan they tried in Madrid in first half but played something resembling 2014 team. Lucky win but good for morale, Russians were not good enough to turn the game in their favor. It's positive that the team that finished on the pitch was very young and I expect more young faces vs Belgium.

This weekend there is still some interest despite Georgia having already sealed the championship due to their head to head record with Spain.

Russia vs Georgia - will show if Russia have progressed much. Both sides now with the potential to entertain neutrals.

Germany vs Spain - a really inexperienced Spanish side gives Germany a last realistic chance to avoid the relegation playoff. It makes me wonder if Spain hate Belgium after the incident packed fixture last year.

Belgium vs Romania - with Romania having a win under their belt hopefully they show a bit more ambition in their play here.

Oaks squad vs Belgium ( a very young one):

1. Constantin Pristaviță (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
2. Eugen Căpățînă (Timisoara Saracens)
3. Alexandru Gordaș (CSM Bucuresti)
4. Johan Van Heerden (Perpignan)
5. Marius Antonescu (Colomiers)
6. Vlad Nistor (US Seynoise)
7. Adrian Ion (C)(CSM Bucuresti)
8. Dorin Lazăr (Timisoara Saracens)
9. Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua)
10. Daniel Plai (CSA Steaua)
11. Nicolas Onuțu (CSM Bucuresti)
12. Vlăduț Popa (Timisoarea Saracens)
13. Alexandru Bucur (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
14. Vlăduț Zaharia (Timisoara Saracens)
15. Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

Subs:
16. Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
17. Iulian Hartig (CSM Bucuresti)
18. Vasile Bălan (CSM Bucuresti)
19. Ionuț Mureșan (Timisoara Saracens)
20. Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)
21. Alexandru Țiglă (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
22. Florin Vlaicu (CSM Bucuresti)
23. Ionuț Dumitru (CSA Steaua)

Germany vs Spain - a really inexperienced Spanish side gives Germany a last realistic chance to avoid the relegation playoff. It makes me wonder if Spain hate Belgium after the incident packed fixture last year.

Our coach says we don't have anything against them, that they were just free-riders of what happened last year. Some fans strongly disagree, but all in all we had a civilised match last week.

People was eager to demonstrate that Spain is much better than Belgium, but that's all.

On the other hand, most of us would cheer for Portugal in a relegation play-off against Belgium, being the dread of playing again in Little Heysel probably the main reason.

Is this the best try of the tournament?

About Spain Belgium, I'll believe it when I'll see a team as strong as the one from Madrid traveling to Tbilisi or even Bucharest.

Is this the best try of the tournament?

About Spain Belgium, I'll believe it when I'll see a team as strong as the one from Madrid traveling to Tbilisi or even Bucharest.

Daniel Plai, the Tier 2 Finn Russell (with added mistakes). :D

I think Spain are totally off the hook by comprehensively beating Germany - I cannot question their judgement or effort. Portugal must be favourites for the playoff, even in Germany. Germany's results have been awful, they have gone backwards even since the repechage and I cant believe the mood in the camp is good when the flyhalf Parkinson effectively quits the national team after two matches on some frankly spurious grounds about having coaching commitments.

Sounds like bad weather played into Georgia's hands with their pack dominance, so they complete the grand slam.

Great to see Romania's new generation cutting loose in Belgium and getting a good score in bad weather in a stadium where Belgium can sometimes offer stiff resistance. Did Plai do alright? Romania desperately need him to step up until Boldor and Melinte mature, as Vlaicu can't go on forever. Decent pass by Popa for Zaharia's try.

What is Tincu's coaching experience? I suspect Howells is having a huge influence so dont know whether to give Tincu credit?

Here are the highlights from Belgium - Romania

Still a big error count for Oaks but I'm content and there's definentely potential. That pass was not by Popa but by Bucur (3rd cap vs Belgium, debuted in November). I think Plai did OK, no big errors, good from kicking tee and he continued to kick even in second half when Vlaicu replaced Popa due to injury.

Bucur (13) had a good game with 2 assists and good play making (kicks to touch, passes to back three). He can play about anything in three quarters, he was fullback, wing and even fly-half for Baia Mare and he have a good boot, he was at some point 2nd in point scorers ranking in Super Liga only behind Vlaicu but his kicking duties were taken over by the Fijian fly-half of Baia Mare, Ratu Taniela.

https://www.super-liga.ro/marcatori-superliga/

Tincu was Howells' assistant for two years as forward coach and was briefly in France coach of Perpignan's women team and of a Fed 3 team. I don't know if Howells is of big influence tbh. I like some new things he tried to do like the way we approached first half with Spain but he had anyway too little time to see an impact as he agreed to take over the team in January on such a short notice which was very generous of him. I do not think he's experienced enough for Head coach but I think he must be in the coaching team.

Germany lost their match Relegation/Promotion Play-Off.
Germany
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
32 - 37 Portugal
23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png

In Frankfurt

Latest posts