• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England Squad

After three years of reading /following this forum I have finally taken the plunge and registered !!
I thought Curry was sensational againgst Ireland ( with Wilson and Mako ) one of our three best players.
People should bear in mind that He is only 20 yrs old and he is going to around for a long time. A lot of his tackles were dominant and I thought his contribution at the breakdown with Wilson was huge.
France will present a different challenge to Ireland - they will focus on the set pièce which is why EJ has gone for Cole/Moon rather than Williams/Genge. But I expect the breakdown to be key against France - if Wilson/Curry contest the breakdown as effectively as they did against Ireland , and we can math the French up front, we should win by 14 IMHO.

Dropping Wilson would feel harsh, but if Underhill works as a 6 then Wilson is a perfect bench option as he has plenty of experience playing all across the backrow (though you'd have 7 cover from the pitch).

Picking two of Underhill/Wilson/Curry/Simmonds to start on the flanks, one on the bench and one in the EPS is not a bad conundrum to have.
All fit

Wilson 6/8
Underhill 6/7
Curry 7
Billy 8
Hughes 8
Shields 6
Robshaw 6
Simmonds(eventually) 6/7/8 but more utility impact bench option

There is no way hughes shields or robshaw get in if all fit.

Id actually be happy with wilson curry billy underhill in any order(meaning starting and bench not billy at 6 lol) even if billy was on the bench. If one is injured id have 3 of them and SSimmonds on the bench. He made 24 tackles v wales last time he played for us and scored 2 great tries v italy.

Then after this robshaw shields and hughes get a look in.

In tbe same way as i want mako, sinks and genge, williams to all be starters amd we just rotated who starts and who benches without losing much to gain 4 experienced props. Then moon and cole as the 3rd choice in there respective positions to do a good job in the place of injured players from the bench.

Im actually not happy with cole and moon been in this week at the expense of genge and williams. They dont deserve to be dropped at all and would gain alot from playing this weekend, especially if they started.

On the flank I think Eddie's concern in the past has been the 3rd jumper option in the lineout, hence the love for Robshaw, Lawes and Shields. Billy don't jump and I doubt Undertaker does either.

Both Curry and Wilson jump well don't they?
Wilson is a decent third line out option - Binny and Curry aren't but they bring other things to the table. Underhill isn't a line out option but Shields is.
I think Robshaw's time with England is coming to an end - a great servant of English rugby ( and very underrated ) but the Binny/Curry/Wilson plus Underhill/Shields back up options fon'r Leave much room for anybody else .
Ben Earl will be a starter in 18 months but before then I can't see past the 5 guys named above

Dropping Wilson would feel harsh, but if Underhill works as a 6 then Wilson is a perfect bench option as he has plenty of experience playing all across the backrow (though you'd have 7 cover from the pitch).

Picking two of Underhill/Wilson/Curry/Simmonds to start on the flanks, one on the bench and one in the EPS is not a bad conundrum to have.

I'd keep Wilson in. The 1-8 that started against Ireland might be the World Cup starters. I think in a World Cup where games are so close having 2 injury prone players together Underhill and Billy in same team won't stay fit. If he can have a run of games betwin when back from his injury and the World Cup, not get injured maybe he can start but right now not sure he could handle it.

Wilson is a decent third line out option - Binny and Curry aren't but they bring other things to the table. Underhill isn't a line out option but Shields is.
I think Robshaw's time with England is coming to an end - a great servant of English rugby ( and very underrated ) but the Binny/Curry/Wilson plus Underhill/Shields back up options fon'r Leave much room for anybody else .
Ben Earl will be a starter in 18 months but before then I can't see past the 5 guys named above

No way Pedro, maybe 36-48 months.

The conversation over the last few days has highlighted to me that we now have two full XVs that could make a case for winning against almost all other nations' 1st XVs. Assuming every player was fit, we also have a 3rd choice team that is a few positions away from probably beating most sides other than probably NZ, Ireland, Wales and SA:

Mako
George
Sinckler
Kruis
Itoje
Wilson
T. Curry
Billy
Youngs
Farrell
May
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Daly

Genge
LCD
Williams
Lawes
Launchbury
Shields
Underhill
Simmonds
Robson
Ford
Cokanasiga
Te'o
Joseph
Watson
Brown

Moon
Hartley
Cole
Ewels
Isiekwe
Robshaw
B. Curry
Hughes
Care
Cipriani
Thorley
Devoto
Lozowski
Ashton
Goode

No way Pedro, maybe 36-48 months.

Agree with this. Not sure who misses out to fit Ben Earl in the next 2 years let alone 18 months?

Curry twins are 20, Underhill is 22, Big Bill is 26, Simmonds is 24, Shields is 27

Wilson is the oldest back row we have at 29 and he looks the sort that will play well into his 30s.

So, with that being said, who are you dropping?

Mercer is ahead. If Ewers ever manages to stay fit for a run of games hes in contention too. Ted Hill and Tom and Jack Willis at Wasps look better prospects for 6-8's IMO.

L
The conversation over the last few days has highlighted to me that we now have two full XVs that could make a case for winning against almost all other nations' 1st XVs. Assuming every player was fit, we also have a 3rd choice team that is a few positions away from probably beating most sides other than probably NZ, Ireland, Wales and SA:

Mako
George
Sinckler
Kruis
Itoje
Wilson
T. Curry
Billy
Youngs
Farrell
May
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Daly

Genge
LCD
Williams
Lawes
Launchbury
Shields
Underhill
Simmonds
Robson
Ford
Cokanasiga
Te'o
Joseph
Watson
Brown

Moon
Hartley
Cole
Ewels
Isiekwe
Robshaw
B. Curry
Hughes
Care
Cipriani
Thorley
Devoto
Lozowski
Ashton
Goode

Yes the depth chart looks very very solid - maybe only the kiwis have this sort of depth pool to choose from - I think Ireland can maybe put out two strong teams - all the others would struggle to put out two strong teams - but then again we do have the biggest player numbers to start with .
The difference today is that our strength in player numbers is starting to translate into competitive top teams- you can't win a World Cup without a strong depth chart imho.

Even got the likes of Stooke, Spencer, Hepburn, Armand, Kivesic, Ewers, Wigglesworth, Smith, Solomona and Earle to add to that good quality depth.

Oh and King Bateman

Mercer is ahead. If Ewers ever manages to stay fit for a run of games hes in contention too. Ted Hill and Tom and Jack Willis at Wasps look better prospects for 6-8's IMO.
EJ doesn't seem to think so. Earl made the 6 Nations EPS, Mercer didn't.

EJ doesn't seem to think so. Earl made the 6 Nations EPS, Mercer didn't.

Was Mercer lying in an interview then? 'Eddie told me im third choice 8 at the moment, behind Billy and Nathan'.

I think hes including Earl purely for apprentice/learning with absolutely no intention on putting him in the 23. If Nathan and Billy were to get injured then Mercer would be called up and Earl probs still not in the actual 23.

Was Mercer lying in an interview then? 'Eddie told me im third choice 8 at the moment, behind Billy and Nathan'.

I think hes including Earl purely for apprentice/learning with absolutely no intention on putting him in the 23. If Nathan and Billy were to get injured then Mercer would be called up and Earl probs still not in the actual 23.

Agree but was wondering if Eddie would go for Morgan rather than Mercer . Also don't forget Wilson can play at No8 so my depth chart would be ATM
1. Binny
2. Hugues
3. Wilson
4. Morgan
5. earl
6. Mercer

I think earl is more suited on the flank than No 8 but right now I don't really think anybody could dislodge Curry if he keeps up his current form.

Latest posts