May
Nowell
Cockanasiga
Wing/FB
Daly
Brown
Ashton
Watson

When fit ot will be tough for watson just to walk back into this game. May one wing 100%. Daly/brown FB 100% so it leaves nowell watson cockanasiga ashton fighting for 2 slots in the 23 and im not sure who wins?
Nowells emense workrate, looking for the ball and is strong at the breakdown if needed. But lacks out and out pace. OC/WG/FB
Watson has pace/footwork and brings alot in attack. Seen a couple of defensive lapses. WG/FB
Cockanasiga brings pace and power. Inexperienced at this level. WG
Ashton runs great lines and very smart in attack. Defensive lapses and lacks out and out pace. WG/FB

Who wins for the starting WC spot? 4 people into 2 slots, for me watson and nowell. Joe wont get enough game time between now and then to get to that first choice level and ashton is fighting for a bench spotbonly in the big games IMO. Watson in based on him regaining his previous form post injury.

Who will be our WC back 3

So leaves
Wings
May
Nowell
Cockanasiga
Wing/FB
Daly
Brown
Ashton
Watson

When fit ot will be tough for watson just to walk back into this game. May one wing 100%. Daly/brown FB 100% so it leaves nowell watson cockanasiga ashton fighting for 2 slots in the 23 and im not sure who wins?
Nowells emense workrate, looking for the ball and is strong at the breakdown if needed. But lacks out and out pace. OC/WG/FB
Watson has pace/footwork and brings alot in attack. Seen a couple of defensive lapses. WG/FB
Cockanasiga brings pace and power. Inexperienced at this level. WG
Ashton runs great lines and very smart in attack. Defensive lapses and lacks out and out pace. WG/FB

Who wins for the starting WC spot? 4 people into 2 slots, for me watson and nowell. Joe wont get enough game time between now and then to get to that first choice level and ashton is fighting for a bench spotbonly in the big games IMO. Watson in based on him regaining his previous form post injury.

For me May and Watson provide the out and out pace you need from your wings . May is now a solid defender and pretty secure under the high ball as we saw against Ireland.
Obviously Watson needs to come and prove himself but if he gets back to his former level I think he is a shoo in - he has always delivered for England and is a potent attacking threat.
Thé Watson/May/Daly back 3 combination is a very potent one and will provide England with plenty of counterattacking and broken field options.
I like Nowell and see him as a utility back who could fill any of the back 3 positions if called upon.

For me May and Watson provide the out and out pace you need from your wings . May is now a solid defender and pretty secure under the high ball as we saw against Ireland.
Obviously Watson needs to come and prove himself but if he gets back to his former level I think he is a shoo in - he has always delivered for England and is a potent attacking threat.
Thé Watson/May/Daly back 3 combination is a very potent one and will provide England with plenty of counterattacking and broken field options.
I like Nowell and see him as a utility back who could fill any of the back 3 positions if called upon.
I was choosing watson nowell as my final 2 spots meaninh 14 and 23
So i agree. 11 may 14 watson 15 daly 23 Nowell. Is first choice.

You can almost guarantee one of those will be injured though so its only 1 player that misses out on form.

Everyone available I'd go 11. May 14. Nowell 15. Daly 23. Cokonasiga
Nowell and Cokonasiga could go either way for me, both are solid starters and both bring impact from the bench but I'd go for Nowell to start as I think his work rate can have more impact over 50/60 minutes than 20. Then Brown would be my 5th back three option just because you need that reliable FB option in there in case Daly has a mare. I don't think Watson will have enough time after his return from injury to earn his way back in, and to be honest I don't think his form pre-injury would justify his selection.

Unreal how much May has elevated himself over the past two years despite being part of a sinking Ship at Tigers.

Unreal how much May has elevated himself over the past two years despite being part of a sinking Ship at Tigers.

I didnt used to rate may, i thought he was just a very quick guy who cant do anything else, defence was ok, wasnt great under high balls and stayed on his wing, didnt go looking for work.

Over the last few years with tigers and/or england thwy really have coached him in the right direction massivly and he is now one of the best best wingers and prob the first name on the team sheet.

I didnt used to rate may, i thought he was just a very quick guy who cant do anything else, defence was ok, wasnt great under high balls and stayed on his wing, didnt go looking for work.

Over the last few years with tigers and/or england thwy really have coached him in the right direction massivly and he is now one of the best best wingers and prob the first name on the team sheet.
That's what happens when talent is identified and invested in. He was a bit of a one trick pony, but has retained that USP while developing his all round game out of sight. At 28 he's at the peak of his physical powers with the benefit of 40 caps worth of experience and an un-neutered streak of madness. Top player.

Elsewhere we've been talking about Curries, Underhill and Earl giving competition for the 7 shirt, all excellent or potentially excellent players. That's great, but while you need to spread experience to cover injuries or bad loss of form, I'd still prefer to see the coach largely work on the basis of picking their men and backing them long term. Experience and continuity is massive. We had it in 03, as did the Kiwis in 11 and 15 among others.

That's what happens when talent is identified and invested in. He was a bit of a one trick pony, but has retained that USP while developing his all round game out of sight. At 28 he's at the peak of his physical powers with the benefit of 40 caps worth of experience and an un-neutered streak of madness. Top player.

Elsewhere we've been talking about Curries, Underhill and Earl giving competition for the 7 shirt, all excellent or potentially excellent players. That's great, but while you need to spread experience to cover injuries or bad loss of form, I'd still prefer to see the coach largely work on the basis of picking their men and backing them long term. Experience and continuity is massive. We had it in 03, as did the Kiwis in 11 and 15 among others.
Watching worcester v sarries and ben earl at 8 is going for the ball alot at the breakdown amd had a few turn overs. But yeh i think underhill curry billy is what we aim for, wilson next in line. And give the rest slots in injury crisis but give them time to develop in the prem.

Are we any closer to seeing who EJ is likely to pick for the centres in Japan?

Barring injury his 12's must now be Manu/Teo/ Faz? and his OC Slade/JJ/ one other?

Are we any closer to seeing who EJ is likely to pick for the centres in Japan?

Barring injury his 12's must now be Manu/Teo/ Faz? and his OC Slade/JJ/ one other?
Faz manu JJ could good. We are closer as we know faz manu slade can work especially when they can switch positions mid game to challenge a defence. Bring in JJ for slade and you have less of a distributer but more of a running threat. If manu stays fit i think it pushes teo out of the running realisticly

Manu and teo are 12s that cover 13 in the england set up. Slade is 13 but can play 12 though he doesnt like 12. And JJ 13 only. But if you really want a 3rd choice 13 to go with slade and JJ then it has to be daly. Our utility back.

Centres are still a massive issue. Even though Farrell, Manu and Slade works well, the other players in the 10 and 12 shirts play completely differently so you can't just swap them out without changing your game plan.

I see JJ/ Slade and Daly as similar styles.

T'eo is not a Manu in any way shape or form and Faz and Ford play very differently.

If Faz covers 12 then again we need to change the game plan and probably have Manu at 13.

Great game vs Ireland but centres are still a mess as we are always reliant on 1 player.

Centres are still a massive issue. Even though Farrell, Manu and Slade works well, the other players in the 10 and 12 shirts play completely differently so you can't just swap them out without changing your game plan.

I see JJ/ Slade and Daly as similar styles.

T'eo is not a Manu in any way shape or form and Faz and Ford play very differently.

If Faz covers 12 then again we need to change the game plan and probably have Manu at 13.

Great game vs Ireland but centres are still a mess as we are always reliant on 1 player.
13 we are well stocked tbh JJ/Daly are strong runners. Manu as a 13 is powerful and slade is finally showing his class and is more of a playmaker with a good running game.

The issue is purley 12 for me
Manu is a great option but still injury prone until proves otherwise.
Faz is decent but rather him at 10
Teo is not bad but a much better finisher IMO.
Loz is good but hasny stepped up
Devoto hasnt been given a chance
And thats all our options really.

Im just happy slade has shown he was worth the effort. If we put players to one favoured position

Faz ford
May
Manu Teo, loz devoto
Slade jj
Nowell ashton big joe
Daly brown.

We dont have bad depth but its just not tested or proven.

The difference with Wilson/Curry compared to Haskell/Robshaw is just mad. The pace, jackling, carrying and ferocity is just chalk and cheese.
Wilson might be unlucky to lose out to Underhill but I think he'll keep his spot, very smart and does a lot of dirty work. Hughes has to go out really, either Underhill/B Curry.

Going forward I'd leave today's starting 15 unchanged, other than Itoje in for Lawes and Nowell in for Ashton. Maybe Underhill would be better than Wilson; both have their pros and cons but I'd leave Underhill on the bench purely because I wouldn't change the current winning formula. On the bench I'd make a few changes:
Hartley in for LCD - LCD's better in open play but hasn't done enough to make his poor set piece worth the risk.
Genge in for Moon - he's just a superior all-round player, although Moon has always looked solid in an England shirt and is a solid backup.
I'd keep Cole - he did more in today's cameo than Williams has done.
Lawes and Underhill at 19 and 20.
Robson and Ford at 21 and 22.
Cokonasiga in at 23 for his impact.

Latest posts