• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England v Scotland (16/03/2019)

Looks like he's shaping up to take Shields over Launchbury for the world cup.

Edit: Or he thinks Ewels is a waste of space.

Up front is logical. I think Genge is benched because he suits the finisher role more than Moon. I think he fits the starter role better too; I don't like it, but there's a kind of logic.

I don't actually mind Teo on the bench. It was where he made his name and you can sort of see the logic in having big bruising cover in case Manu goes down.

No Joe is just extraordinary. He needs the game time. I hope this isn't him being hung out to dry for defensive failings when those inside were just as culpable. For all Nowell's work rate and nous, he just doesn't scare defences. Potential game changers are rare, Joe is one.

Just no idea why you'd pick Te'o in the 23 shirt when the entire starting back-line bar May and Youngs can comfortably play in the Centres. On the other hand the only option if a Winger gets injured is (I'm assuming) Slade to 15 where he has never played internationally and very sparingly at club-level and move Daly to the Wing. Furthermore, Captain Farrell isn't coming off the pitch, which means either Ford won't come on (allowing Slade to swap for Te'o and Farrell to stay at 10) or Te'o won't come on (allowing Slade to swap for Ford and Farrell to move to 12) or Tuilagi will get subbed, which is bonkers given how he has been playing and the impact he has.

Ted has baffled me with his selection here.
manu to the wing? didnt he play there against NZ once?

I do really think that most fans could pick a better 33 than Eddie Jones for 99% of games and get a better result.

His lock at 6 experiments never worked, his back row combos have never worked until he picked what most fans have wanted for a while now and his back lines have yet to show some attacking threat.

Maybe I'm more angry because I'm mildly drunk but we need to replace Jones with a proper coach at some point after this World Cup. With the players we have, we shouldn't be selecting T'eo, Sheilds, Hughes, Young's (still ffs) and have I plan b game plan.

I just cannot understand Te'o's inclusion. Hughes I get because Jones hasn't given himself many options, but there were clearly better options in the backs. Absolutely joke.

I'm surprised by the Joe C. drop, I know he's a big loose, but man oh man is he fun to watch!

I really hope joes defence gets tested as its his weakest area and biggest work on for him.

Also want to see him in attack again.

Team has to be

Genge
George
Sinks
Launch
Kruis
Wilson
Curry
Billy
Youngs(should be robson if he were fit IMO)
Faz
May
Manu
Slade
Big joe
Daly

LCD
Moon
Cole
Ewels
Hughes/shields
Spencer
Ford
Nowell

Any complaints or disagreements?
Yes or no. Would you prefer my team above to the one EJ put out?

But seriously i hope big joe has caught robsons illness or something because its beyond belief that he's not in there and teo is. So basicly EJ has them he trusts and them he doesnt. Meaning the ones he doesnt are getting no gametime against decent opposition therefore we will be screwed in the world cup if we get a few injuries.

Genge and joe both showed alot last week. And deserved a start. Teo did next to nothing at gets to the bench.....seriously

I've got it. Big Joe needed a snack and with nothing to hand ate robson mistaking him for finger food thereby catching Robson's illness. This terrible accident was witnessed by the better and more obvious bench options who are now in intensive therapy and being briefed for the coming cover up.
However Hughes, Shields and Teo were all together watching reruns of All Blacks games and dreaming of the SH, so missed the whole thing making them the only players left available for the bench.

Obvious when you think about it.

Yes or no. Would you prefer my team above to the one EJ put out?

But seriously i hope big joe has caught robsons illness or something because its beyond belief that he's not in there and teo is. So basicly EJ has them he trusts and them he doesnt. Meaning the ones he doesnt are getting no gametime against decent opposition therefore we will be screwed in the world cup if we get a few injuries.

Genge and joe both showed alot last week. And deserved a start. Teo did next to nothing at gets to the bench.....seriously
Other than that I'd bring Stooke in for Ewels (a marginal call) your team is exactly what I'd have gone for. EJ dropping Joe C after getting MOTM last week is an awful call.

It would be an interesting experiment if the team was picked by a vote of its supporters and how it would do compared to one picked by Jones...

It would be an interesting experiment if the team was picked by a vote of its supporters and how it would do compared to one picked by Jones...

I think we'd win every time. We called for Curry before he was capped, we called for Wilson as well. We wouldn't have a lock at 6 or a 6 at lock. We'd have a proper scrum half, we'd have a bulldozing front row and some class backs.

Up front is logical. I think Genge is benched because he suits the finisher role more than Moon. I think he fits the starter role better too; I don't like it, but there's a kind of logic.

I don't actually mind Teo on the bench. It was where he made his name and you can sort of see the logic in having big bruising cover in case Manu goes down.

No Joe is just extraordinary. He needs the game time. I hope this isn't him being hung out to dry for defensive failings when those inside were just as culpable. For all Nowell's work rate and nous, he just doesn't scare defences. Potential game changers are rare, Joe is one.

Strange thing to say about someone who averages beating more defenders than just about anyone in the premiership (excl Cordero but certainly including Jonny May).
Maybe they should be more scared.

You could always create a survey and post the link here for forum subscribers... :)

Scotland: 15 Sean Maitland, 14 Darcy Graham, 13 Nick Grigg, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Byron McGuigan, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Ali Price, 8 Magnus Bradbury, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Sam Skinner, 5 Grant Gilchrist, 4 Ben Toolis, 3 Willem Nel, 2 Stuart McInally (c), 1 Allan Dell

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Jonny Gray, 20 Josh Strauss, 21 Greig Laidlaw, 22 Adam Hastings, 23 Chris Harris

Makeshift in the backs. I'll be impressed if Scotland keep it within 20 points.

Strange thing to say about someone who averages beating more defenders than just about anyone in the premiership (excl Cordero but certainly including Jonny May).
Premiership's not international. Nowell's skilful and smart and he'll often make a couple of yards where there doesn't seem to be any space.

But he's not going to outsprint you, he's not going to run over you and he's not going to outjump you on the cross kick.

Nowell's a good team player but he hasn't got the flashes of inspiration that can bust an international match apart. May has and Coka looks like he has. It's those that keep the opposition coaches awake at night.

May really only needs to beat a single player most of the time, after that you won't catch him, as good as Noel is he can beat players but most wingers will catch him if there is any real distance to cover.

Latest posts