• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Scotland (23/02/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
France.png
VS
Scotland.png
Stade de France
14:15, 23/02/2019

Battle of the underperforming les deux bleus. I'm willing to admit Brunel might have lost his touch with age - but I still think France take this, even if they pick Basteraud. No Hogg for Scotland, a slow scrum half who cant snipe and god knows who starting at centre. I just dont see Scotland scoring more than 16 points and the French pack should generate kickable penalties.

Russell failed a HIA for Racing earlier so looks likely he'll be out.

At this stage France definitely have their best opportunity outside of Italy. Scotland really struggling with injuries.

Russell failed a HIA for Racing earlier so looks likely he'll be out.

The very last thing Scotland need with Hastings's recent dip in form. Hopefully its not a recurrence of the old issues for Finn. With him and Halfpenny we are getting a number of prominent players who must be thinking they are one bad head contact away from losing their job. France will be heavy favourites if there is no Finn, surely?

Yes. I think they were strong favourites before (especially given the Scottish injuries), but this will really hamper Scotland. Still, even an out of sorts Hastings is a significant upgrade on the 10 cover we've had recently.

At the risk of sounding defeatist I almost think we have to just write off this 6N. Our squad doesn't have the depth to cope with so many injuries and it doesn't help when we lose key players like Hogg in collisions such as that from last weekend. Pity that Scotland doesn't get to show it's best self this year but with Ireland first up in the WC there will hopefully be an almost fully fit squad to choose from.

What do you mean by write off? We're not in ***le contention, so do you mean more leeway for Townsend if we lose the next three?

Injuries a shame, but I'm not sure we have an abnormally high rate. It's a very attritional sport, and a key part of being a good team is being able to cope with injuries. I think we're getting closer to that - Kinghorn and Hastings are a step down but have performed well in domestic rugby. It wasn't so long ago that our replacements were players who struggled in the Pro 12.

Hopefully Bradbury comes back to join Ritchie in the back row. More youth in the pipeline. But I'd agree the 6N is now an opportunity for experimentation. I'd really like to see George Horne given a shot.

Bradbury looked good on Friday, and possibly has gained a bit of muscle during rehab. If he and Ritchie have big games maybe we can shut down the tight carries for France and "force" a few wild passes for Tommy and Sean to pick off...

What do you mean by write off? We're not in ***le contention, so do you mean more leeway for Townsend if we lose the next three?

Injuries a shame, but I'm not sure we have an abnormally high rate. It's a very attritional sport, and a key part of being a good team is being able to cope with injuries. I think we're getting closer to that - Kinghorn and Hastings are a step down but have performed well in domestic rugby. It wasn't so long ago that our replacements were players who struggled in the Pro 12.

I mean we will struggle to get results with so many key players missing against such elite opposition every one-two weeks. Our back row is decimated which is pretty key at this level. We're missing our two best backs in Hogg and potentially Russell. With all that in mind I'm sure sides like France and Wales will think we are there for the taking. Of course I hope we win and am sure the players and coaches will give their all but feel we need an almost fully fit squad and our key players available in order to compete at this level.

Hopefully Bradbury comes back to join Ritchie in the back row. More youth in the pipeline. But I'd agree the 6N is now an opportunity for experimentation. I'd really like to see George Horne given a shot.

How did Adam Ashe play? I recall him being in very good form not so long ago. I think GT might opt for Strauss at 8 given the size of the French pack. There has also been some suggestion of McInally playing at 6 although I think he'd be badly missed in the front row. Brown is just coming back from injury. Good to see Zagerson getting 50 minutes in Cardiff.

Not only are Scotland's injuries pretty awful, when was the last time they beat a team away in the 6 nations other than Italy? Unless I missed one, I went all the way back to 2013 and couldn't see a win. Saying that though, this would be the time to beat the French as they are in disarray, Wales were awful, yet still managed to beat them. France have only won 1 of their last 9 matches, admittedly though they did a 3 match tour of NZ.

Think it was Ireland away in 2010. France is currently the second easiest away game after Italy, and they have been playing badly enough that it's possible they could effectively throw the game. I fear they'll just overpower us and grind out a victory though.

I fear they'll just overpower us and grind out a victory though.

I think this is how the last two visits to Paris have turned out. They will be targeting this game as the second easiest of the campaign. Although woeful against England, they were pretty awesome in the first half against Wales and if they can reproduce that form and maintain it for a bit longer then it will be tough.

Despite their size, the French pack seems a load of plodders, England's pack is a lot more physical than them.

Despite their size, the French pack seems a load of plodders, England's pack is a lot more physical than them.

It'll be interesting to see if they address the gap that England identified i.e. the space in behind. I think Scotland's best hope is to do the same and also try and move their pack around the pitch with a view to tiring them out.

It'll be interesting to see if they address the gap that England identified i.e. the space in behind. I think Scotland's best hope is to do the same and also try and move their pack around the pitch with a view to tiring them out.

It would help if they played an actual FB at FB, and Wings on the wings instead of centres but it's the French. They also had a heavy back line against England but an extremely light one against Wales, who knows what they are going to do. Scotland just have to trust their wide game, and run rings around them. As long as Scotland can reasonably contain the French attack, you would expect them to win as they offer a lot more ability to score tries.

Shame for Scotland so close to a World Cup year, their injuries have really hurt them, although I have to confess somewhat enjoying their down fall after some of their fans discusting unsporting behaviour after the England game last year.

Shame for Scotland so close to a World Cup year, their injuries have really hurt them, although I have to confess somewhat enjoying their down fall after some of their fans discusting unsporting behaviour after the England game last year.

So you've decided that you dislike an entire nation because of four drunken brainless idiots who heckled EJ after a train journey? Seems logical.

Latest posts