• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Wales (01/02/2019)

A good question Bushy, I think England will overpower our back row, if they win the tackle/breakdowns then your BR is limited anyway, but Young is an option that I would try against Italy, then it would be a choice between Young or tips, or even both, because then I think they might complement each other.
I couldn't make a case for dropping navidi in favour of young ATM

I feel that part of it could be the lack of cohesiveness as a unit? I had a quick look through the various line ups we've had since the start of last years 6N and we've tried quite a few different combinations between then and now - mostly due to injury. Navidi is only a few weeks back from injury too, and this was Moriarty's first game since the 15th of December which probably hasn't helped either.

I'd like to see Young given a start vs Italy however, mostly because he's been overlooked for years and deserves a chance to stake a claim to one of the backrow spots.

On an unrelated note - not sure if anyone has really discussed this, but can't help but feel that Parkes deserves a lot more credit for helping create North's 1st try!

Obviously Huget's howler grabs the headlines, but Parkes' kick is nigh on perfect, especially in those conditions. He spots the space, sends it through with enough weight to hold up short of the try line.

Huget then has to try and play the ball as North is chasing hard behind him - ball is soaked from splashing towards the try line leading a very high chance of a mistake, and even if Huget holds onto it he takes it over the try line which almost certainly wins Wales a 5m scrum and a brilliant opportunity for a try anyway.

Fantastic bit of play in my mind!

I feel that part of it could be the lack of cohesiveness as a unit? I had a quick look through the various line ups we've had since the start of last years 6N and we've tried quite a few different combinations between then and now - mostly due to injury. Navidi is only a few weeks back from injury too, and this was Moriarty's first game since the 15th of December which probably hasn't helped either.

I'd like to see Young given a start vs Italy however, mostly because he's been overlooked for years and deserves a chance to stake a claim to one of the backrow spots.

On an unrelated note - not sure if anyone has really discussed this, but can't help but feel that Parkes deserves a lot more credit for helping create North's 1st try!

Obviously Huget's howler grabs the headlines, but Parkes' kick is nigh on perfect, especially in those conditions. He spots the space, sends it through with enough weight to hold up short of the try line.

Huget then has to try and play the ball as North is chasing hard behind him - ball is soaked from splashing towards the try line leading a very high chance of a mistake, and even if Huget holds onto it he takes it over the try line which almost certainly wins Wales a 5m scrum and a brilliant opportunity for a try anyway.

Fantastic bit of play in my mind!

Know what you mean about the kick, in those conditions a kick that forces a scrum v can always go awry for the defence.

Last edited:
If we are giving Parkes credit for the kick then he can be faulted for his defence again. He really isnt a test 12.

Navidi cant really be dropped atm as he is the only BR we have that is immovable in the breakdown. Moriarty doesnt offer too much there. It is also only those 2 that offer any forward threat ball in hand.

I don't think rotating for Italy should be considered dropping a player.

The Italy game is a chance to look at non-first choice players, always has been really.

The Italy game is a chance to look at non-first choice players, always has been really.

Agreed... as has been stated previously, it's a good opportunity to give Youngs a run out... and Wainwright too.

I don't agree Moriarty, Navidi, have just come back from injury so I would say they need more game time, not the same for Tips so therefor Young and Wainwright could be given time against Italy.

What goal would swapping the numbers on Navidi and Moriartys shirt make out of interest? Still the same players with the same skills sets. Only difference really would be scrum time...

What goal would swapping the numbers on Navidi and Moriartys shirt make out of interest? Still the same players with the same skills sets. Only difference really would be scrum time...
Moriarty is a natural 6, Navidi would in my opinion be a better 8 he;s a little quicker with a little more nouce

Moriarty is a natural 6, Navidi would in my opinion be a better 8 he;s a little quicker with a little more nouce
Yes but if both are playing what actual difference would it make. They are the same players playing just with different numbers. Their jobs would still interlink and crossover so they wouldnt do anything differently. I appreciate that Navidi is a little quicker but I dont follow how a numer change between then in the back row would make any real difference to the balance as the skill sets presented would be the same. You didnt answer the question.

Yes but if both are playing what actual difference would it make. They are the same players playing just with different numbers. Their jobs would still interlink and crossover so they wouldnt do anything differently. I appreciate that Navidi is a little quicker but I dont follow how a numer change between then in the back row would make any real difference to the balance as the skill sets presented would be the same. You didnt answer the question.

There's a thread for this now...

Latest posts