• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Wales (01/02/2019)

Do you have anyone else to play 8?
I'd imagine Young will walk into the side at 7 after Tipurics showing, but he would've also been an option at 8 as moriarty looks well off the boil
Unless you rotate everyone round and have 6. Moriarty, 7. Navidi 8. Young?
Are you for real? Moriarty and Tipuric were very good yesterday.

Tipuric was OK but not enough to be a concrete pick when there's someone like Young knocking on the door.
Moriarty was poor.

The whole backrow didn't gel as a unit - could be due to form, could be due to selections. The Italy game is the perfect one to try and get them functioning again and Young is too good not to get a game.

Not sure what game people were watching, but Tipuric was excellent as ever, especially in that last 10 minutes when we tried to hand the game back to France with messed up lineouts etc. His defense was immense all match, especially at the death where he was defending out wide, pushing up quickly and forcing France backwards.

He put in 18 tackles with none missed on Friday. Moriarty made 20, but he also missed quite a few, and could have been pinged at least twice for no arms. Added to that, he was a real nuisance factor to the French kickers, either flattening them just after the ball had gone (perfectly legally), or charging down a key dropped goal attempt.

He also instigated a number of tackle maul attempts, and would have been successful with another ref.

It may not have been a night for him to showcase his immense attacking ability, and he didn't get too many opportunities on the deck, but imo he was he was one of the best players on the pitch, and showed once again that he's one of the most rounded players in the world.

Not sure what game people were watching, but Tipuric was excellent as ever, especially in that last 10 minutes when we tried to hand the game back to France with messed up lineouts etc. His defense was immense all match, especially at the death where he was defending out wide, pushing up quickly and forcing France backwards.

He put in 18 tackles with none missed on Friday. Moriarty made 20, but he also missed quite a few, and could have been pinged at least twice for no arms. Added to that, he was a real nuisance factor to the French kickers, either flattening them just after the ball had gone (perfectly legally), or charging down a key dropped goal attempt.

He also instigated a number of tackle maul attempts, and would have been successful with another ref.

It may not have been a night for him to showcase his immense attacking ability, and he didn't get too many opportunities on the deck, but imo he was he was one of the best players on the pitch, and showed once again that he's one of the most rounded players in the world.

I don't think Tips played particularly badly... not to his usual standard but not badly. As I said in a previous comment, I think that he is our guaranteed 7 against England if fit... and would back him to perform well to. I just think what with Young finally breaking into the squad, the Italy game is the perfect opportunity for him to get a start.

I don't think Tips played particularly badly... not to his usual standard but not badly. As I said in a previous comment, I think that he is our guaranteed 7 against England if fit... and would back him to perform well to. I just think what with Young finally breaking into the squad, the Italy game is the perfect opportunity for him to get a start.

Yeah, I'd be happy to see Young given a start v Italy.

Whoever is saying Tips is not an auto pick and played poorly clearly has no concept of a backrower or one in in dire conditions like that. Try watching some club rugby and you will realise Tips is currently one of if not the best 7s in the world. He is getting motm over and over and is carrying his club side.

Whoever is saying Tips is not an auto pick and played poorly clearly has no concept of a backrower or one in in dire conditions like that. Try watching some club rugby and you will realise Tips is currently one of if not the best 7s in the world. He is getting motm over and over and is carrying his club side.
Bit of an overreaction,
I'm talking about this one specific game and in the context of giving another fantastic backrower his well earned chance vs Italy (otherwise when else is he going to get his shot?).
Historic club form has zero to do with what anyone is talking about.

Bit of an overreaction,
I'm talking about this one specific game and in the context of giving another fantastic backrower his well earned chance vs Italy (otherwise when else is he going to get his shot?).
Historic club form has zero to do with what anyone is talking about.

Not really. Dai yorkshire and TRF both say they wanted him out and based it on a lack of knowledge and just one game in awful condition. Please feel free to look back at page 12 to see both calling for him out. One even said he isnt the 7 we need.

So not really an over reaction just a defence of a player, probably the form player in the welsh squad. Btw im a Blues fan so no bias here.

Not really. Dai yorkshire and TRF both say they wanted him out and based it on a lack of knowledge and just one game in awful condition. Please feel free to look back at page 12 to see both calling for him out. One even said he isnt the 7 we need.

So not really an over reaction just a defence of a player, probably the form player in the welsh squad. Btw im a Blues fan so no bias here.
You're arguing with yourself here, I literally said it was based on one game and nothing else.
Young deserves a shot, the backrow didn't gel well, might as well try it out vs italy than risk the backrow not working when it gets to the business end of the tournament.

I've always thought Tips has struggled to step up to international level, particularly against the most physical packs who are on form. He's world class in the loose and he is often a fantastic link man in attack, and that suits a game in the Pro 14 after 50 minutes - when the Ospreys front 5 are doing well and he doesn't have to do much of that. He generally lacks an impact at the breakdown for me at international level. Each to their own :) I'd have Young, Navidi and Moriarty in the next one. Tips to come on when Italy are broken and cause a bit of havoc.

You're arguing with yourself here, I literally said it was based on one game and nothing else.
Young deserves a shot, the backrow didn't gel well, might as well try it out vs italy than risk the backrow not working when it gets to the business end of the tournament.

Until you had a pop at my comment calling it an over reaction you hadnt mentioned it was based off one game at all. I also named another and not just you. Yes young is decent but he is probs the 4th or 5th placed welsh 7 with a fit squad.

When the whole pack is giving away that much weight and size someone as small as tips will always struggle to dominate the breakdown. He relies on others to do that so he can scavenge. Others failed to do their jobs meaning he had to resort to being nothing short of a tackling machine.

There really isnt anyone is the squad that would have put in the same level of work and defensive graft as him this weekend.

Until you had a pop at my comment calling it an over reaction you hadnt mentioned it was based off one game at all. I also named another and not just you. Yes young is decent but he is probs the 4th or 5th placed welsh 7 with a fit squad.

When the whole pack is giving away that much weight and size someone as small as tips will always struggle to dominate the breakdown. He relies on others to do that so he can scavenge. Others failed to do their jobs meaning he had to resort to being nothing short of a tackling machine.

There really isnt anyone is the squad that would have put in the same level of work and defensive graft as him this weekend.

I have to agree with Bluemoon, tips is Ok in the pro14 but he has no presence when the going gets tough, and against England it will be tough, Italy will suit him, but the bigger stronger pack deal with him too easily and have done through out his career,

I have to agree with Bluemoon, tips is Ok in the pro14 but he has no presence when the going gets tough, and against England it will be tough, Italy will suit him, but the bigger stronger pack deal with him too easily and have done through out his career,

Think this is a bit harsh... I would probably have him as the stand out 7 (across all nations) during last year's autumn internationals. He was competing against Pooper vs Oz, Watson vs Scotland and against the huge SA unit of Vermuelen, Steph Du Toit & Kolisi... and competed more than admirably in all cases. Now while none of these teams are England... they are certainly a higher level than Pro 14 for which you think is the level Tips is only good for.

Think this is a bit harsh... I would probably have him as the stand out 7 (across all nations) during last year's autumn internationals. He was competing against Pooper vs Oz, Watson vs Scotland and against the huge SA unit of Vermuelen, Steph Du Toit & Kolisi... and competed more than admirably in all cases. Now while none of these teams are England... they are certainly a higher level than Pro 14 for which you think is the level Tips is only good for.

I can assure you I understand your point But you also had Elis Jenkins in the BR in the autumn who is a far more destructive 7 than tipric. Tipric has good points he shows upin the lose very well and all 7s have to have courage which he has thus allowing him to create the tackles, the 7s of today need to be able to arrive at the breakdown and not be easily moved. Tipric is too easily moved as I've already stated, someone questioned my ability earlier I played as a No7 for 12 years in an 18 year career.

sorry I mean lydiate doh!

Well... depending on the game Lydiate or Jenkins played... so I get your point(s).

Prior to this season (when thinking about a replacement for Warburton) I was on the Jenkins train... I'm a big fan but I have been impressed by Tipuric so much this season (club & international) that imho he is our current first choice... though as I agreed with you earlier, whomever plays at 6 has a bearing.

The thing that suggests the performance against France was an anomaly rather that the rule is that Tips had Navidi with him at 6... someone who can play the 'destructive' role all too well.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Dai... at least until Ellis Jenkins is back to full fitness.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a fan of tips starting test matches , I think he's a far better option off the bench when the game is opening up with tired legs about. That's not to say he doesn't deserve his starting place it's just my opinion.

Personally I'm not a fan of tips starting test matches , I think he's a far better option off the bench when the game is opening up with tired legs about. That's not to say he doesn't deserve his starting place it's just my opinion.

So who would you pick at 7 for the England game?

So who would you pick at 7 for the England game?

A good question Bushy, I think England will overpower our back row, if they win the tackle/breakdowns then your BR is limited anyway, but Young is an option that I would try against Italy, then it would be a choice between Young or tips, or even both, because then I think they might complement each other.

A good question Bushy, I think England will overpower our back row, if they win the tackle/breakdowns then your BR is limited anyway, but Young is an option that I would try against Italy, then it would be a choice between Young or tips, or even both, because then I think they might complement each other.

Yeah I definitely want to see Young this coming wknd... read that he had to go back to Wasps for the wknd just gone though due to no involvement in the Wales match day squad... hope this won't affect his chances at all.

Latest posts