• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

High level arrogance. Ask @munstermuffin what he thinks about Ger Gilroy?!

Some of the comments in the Irish press were distasteful. It's fine to think Ireland would win the game, I did too, but give proper reasoning and not tabloid tripe like the clip shown demonstrated.

I don't think you're making this inference but I'd be very surprised if England used poor journalism as motivation. I think that would do a disservice to England's players who are better than needing irrelevant outsiders to get them up for a game. England won because they played out of their skin and had a brilliant game plan which accentuated their skills and limited Ireland. Hopefully though the manner of England's victory puts some of these hacks in their place and teaches them some humility.

Small point but England did a lap of honour after the game. It was a great win and well deserved but it was only 1 of 5 games for them in the Championship. I didn't take offence to it and applauded them in their victory but do a lap of honour after winning a championship, not a game.

Not suggesting such gutter journalism was the motivation, just that we get the arrogance tag attached to us and yet when have you seen English journalists come up with stuff like the Irish, Welsh and Scottish have about us before games? Irish press and supporters had been every bit as arrogant, if not more so than English recently and it's just tiring seeing so much condescending crap getting thrown our way but we even praise the team and the English arrogance card is whipped out so fast it gives them friction burns.

I don't recall before hosting Wales or Ireland dismissing them by saying not a single member of either side would get in the England team yet both have done that to us.

Small point but England did a lap of honour after the game. It was a great win and well deserved but it was only 1 of 5 games for them in the Championship. I didn't take offence to it and applauded them in their victory but do a lap of honour after winning a championship, not a game.
BOD never let his side's walk around a pitch without a trophy. Only relevant if England were doing it because they thought their win was absolutely great or if, like the lads said, it was simply a salute to the fans. I'd guess the latter, those lads are clued in.

Not suggesting such gutter journalism was the motivation, just that we get the arrogance tag attached to us and yet when have you seen English journalists come up with stuff like the Irish, Welsh and Scottish have about us before games? Irish press and supporters had been every bit as arrogant, if not more so than English recently and it's just tiring seeing so much condescending crap getting thrown our way but we even praise the team and the English arrogance card is whipped out so fast it gives them friction burns.

I don't recall before hosting Wales or Ireland dismissing them by saying not a single member of either side would get in the England team yet both have done that to us.
Stephen Ferris was banging on about how Ireland are untouchable and then in the same breath how the England side are soooooo arrogant.
Would've loved to have seen his face last night.

To be honest I see a lot more England fans complaining about how they're characterised as arrogant then people actually calling English rugby arrogant. Arrogant hasn't been an applicable term for England since Lancaster took over in 2011.

No denying that the Irish media completely lost the run of themselves after the win against the All Blacks though. But that's a lot more painful for actual Irish fans who have to listen to that s**** most weeks.

To be honest I see a lot more England fans complaining about how they're characterised as arrogant then people actually calling English rugby arrogant. Arrogant hasn't been an applicable term for England since Lancaster took over in 2011.

No denying that the Irish media completely lost the run of themselves after the win against the All Blacks though. But that's a lot more painful for actual Irish fans who have to listen to that s**** most weeks.

You seem to be forgetting 2016 - 2017, that was peak England are arrogant.
T

Thats fair comment i suppose. We're probably quicker to lose the run of ourselves because we're not as used to success on the international stage.

It is driven by the media though and probably because it sells.

That's fair enough. I was disappointed and felt England switched off for the last try, but maybe it was more what Cronin and Cooney could have brought if played sooner.

That's fair enough, I'd be annoyed if we conceded a late try in your position. I do think our subs added fresh impetus off the bench though.

Well what a great game that was. EJ seems to have done it again. Of course one game a come back does not make, but it's a bloody good start. To overturn so much history in one of the most hostile rugby envirmonts for any travelling team and in such a fashion was very impressive. I'm sure some will say that Ireland underperformed and will play down England's triumph, but from I saw I suggest we simply
Outplayed them on the day. Some of the stats are crazy. Mako 23 tackles, 10 carries, England 180 odd tackles in all, I'm sure there are more but wow.

So after that will be people now support Slade and Daly's inclusion going forward? Surely we can agree that they have to start the next game, and if they continue to put in the same level performances they should be nailed on? And if that is the case Faz plays 10 going forward as well.

What's so encouraging about that game is we were still missing some great guys, Underhill chief among them. Imagine having him on the bench?

Fingers crossed England can really kick on from here. Stick it to a confused and messy French team it Twickers next week, and continue to build on these new combos building momentum going into Japan.

I'm sure Ireland will pick themselves up after this and I don't relish what the Scotts have coming. I think this angoing to be a pretty awesome 6 nations m.

So, on sober mature reflection I think any team would have struggled against us yesterday. It was undoubtedly a very good day at the office. Big question is whether we can find consistency at that kind of level, but the fact that it was away from home against a very good side must give us massive confidence.

Ire haven't become a bad team overnight. I think they just lost to a better team on the day, but there will probably be a bit of naval gazing around Best / captaincy and what happens if their superstar half backs aren't firing. Their trip to Cardiff is starting to look v important. Win all the others and it's been a decent campaign with one bad day, but two losses may dent confidence.

Was yesterday's intensity a by product of all Eddie's floggings that we so derided last year? Does he actually know what he's doing?

BOD never let his side's walk around a pitch without a trophy. Only relevant if England were doing it because they thought their win was absolutely great or if, like the lads said, it was simply a salute to the fans. I'd guess the latter, those lads are clued in.
england once did a lap of honour vs the ABs when they drew. was very confusing

Clutching at straws now? It was an away win against the number 1 ranked team in the world why not enjoy the moment with the travelling fans.

Seem to remember in 2004 Ireland doing a lap of honour of Twickenham

Big question is whether we can find consistency at that kind of level....

Yeah fair play England blew Ireland away yesterday. No arguments there. But can they do that 2, 3, 4 times on the bounce. This year's comp is shaping up hey?

A point I do feel is worth noting as I said before the game, Murray and Sexton are rightly deemed to be a great half back pairing but have nearly always been behind dominant packs. Today was the first time either were behind a pack that was being bullied rather than doing the bullying and neither stood out as being better than other half back pairings under such circumstances.

A point I do feel is worth noting as I said before the game, Murray and Sexton are rightly deemed to be a great half back pairing but have nearly always been behind dominant packs. Today was the first time either were behind a pack that was being bullied rather than doing the bullying and neither stood out as being better than other half back pairings under such circumstances.

Not that I necessarily disagree but that's a pretty slippery slope, you are referring to two of their prize possessions.

To be fair about it though Murray has been way off his best for a while and probably isn't the best Irish SH based on recent form.

This is not the first time either has been behind a pack that isn't on top. They have over 450 professional games between them. Murray has been poor enough since his return from injury and Sexton hadn't played in 2019 due to injury. While I don't believe any halfbacks are at their best on the back foot and it probably contributed those reasons probably contributed more to their sub par performances.

It pretty much confirms how much the Kiwis relay on refball to win now.

Excellent game. Really enjoyed it. 6 nations is looking good so far.

Latest posts