• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

2seleb.jpg
I think we just sick of winning it. Or else don't want to incase some country throws toys out. A new competition next year maybe?????

So now we've all agreed in right and Faz clealt needs to be play 10 on Saturday and is pretty handy as an all over player the question is how do England win this game. Certainly Ireland are the odds on favourite and history is heavily against England, but we've certainly got enough in the tank to construct a win, but how?

Don't fancy our chances in the line out, fancy it a bit more in the scrum, but not much. Ireland are certainly better on the ground so no chances there. I suppose our line outs not too bad so my bet is push for the corner at every opportunity, keep Ireland pinned back in their 22 as much as humanly possible and hope that they mistake. Take every 3 point opportunity going. Pray Manu creates enough fear to narrow the D and five May some chances around the outside. Clutching at straws a bit now.

Can't think of one area in the game that we have Ireland beat, apart from maybe May's pace and the fact that all the pressure is on them which may give us the tiniest psychological advantage, but that's it. I'd be happy if we can just make a good account of ourselves.

So now we've all agreed in right and Faz clealt needs to be play 10 on Saturday and is pretty handy as an all over player the question is how do England win this game. Certainly Ireland are the odds on favourite and history is heavily against England, but we've certainly got enough in the tank to construct a win, but how?

Don't fancy our chances in the line out, fancy it a bit more in the scrum, but not much. Ireland are certainly better on the ground so no chances there. I suppose our line outs not too bad so my bet is push for the corner at every opportunity, keep Ireland pinned back in their 22 as much as humanly possible and hope that they mistake. Take every 3 point opportunity going. Pray Manu creates enough fear to narrow the D and five May some chances around the outside. Clutching at straws a bit now.

Can't think of one area in the game that we have Ireland beat, apart from maybe May's pace and the fact that all the pressure is on them which may give us the tiniest psychological advantage, but that's it. I'd be happy if we can just make a good account of ourselves.

Nah mate, he's left Moon and Cole behind.

Genge isn't getting anything out of Furlong and Vunipola certainly wouldn't beat Porter or Ryan.

McGrath and Healy would get joy out of Sinckler, probably parity with Williams at a push. Ireland have the edge at Scrum, Line out and on the floor.

Definitely don't think the 6 nation's are the rwc quarter finals then
Well isn't it obvious. They 2 seperate competitions.

Come on just because ye haven't played knockout rugby in 8 years. Surely ye haven't forgotten that.
Don't be like clubs version either and try ruin a competition because ye struggle.

Ireland are rightly favourutes, at home, on great form with very good players and as above a great at set piece and on the floor.

But this is not a weak england squad, and our form we beat SA and very narrow loss to NZ. With Manu and Billy back we have more power. Though not on great form we still have dalys boot if they give away penalties. And we may finally get to see if ford faz manu actually works. Im not saying we will win but im saying if we did it wouldnt be a massive upset. We have the players IMO.

tenor.gif

Henshaw is good in the air, and he's excellent at organising a backline, I think he could make it work. I'd be worried that he's bulked up too much and that he doesn't have the pace. He played a lot there when he was younger, if he's picked there it means he's after doing a decent job in training. I'd be surprised if he excelled there but I don't think he'll be awful either.

I'd prefer Conway or Larmour though.

Man for man we're not a million miles off. But Ire are better rested and have more continuity - can we say for certain what any of our combinations will be? Back row possibly, but I doubt they've ever played as a unit.

But a rugby ball bounces in funny ways and weather can be a great leveller. Pray for rain. And sleet. And snow....

Didn't he miss a bunch of winning kicks? He had a couple good moments sure but it was a game Bath absolutely should have won and he didn't get them over the line if I remember correctly.

Edit: Temple bar is shite too! ;)

Nah we were never close enough to be within a kick. He did scythe through the defencevtwice though, for 1 try and 1 assist. I'm going to have to dig out the highlights on YouTube to double check but I'm 90% sure I'm remembering this right.

As for Temple Bar, I was a tourist, what do you expect. I didn't go to Dublin to mix with real Irish, hell no. Get more than enough of that in London

Henshaw is good in the air, and he's excellent at organising a backline, I think he could make it work. I'd be worried that he's bulked up too much and that he doesn't have the pace. He played a lot there when he was younger, if he's picked there it means he's after doing a decent job in training. I'd be surprised if he excelled there but I don't think he'll be awful either.

I'd prefer Conway or Larmour though.

As a Bath fan we can tell you all about what it means to have a fantastic training session

I'm very mixed on the idea of Henshaw starting at full back. On one hand, it's nice to see Schmidt trying new things and experimenting, particularly in the Six Nations before a world cup. And doing so in a game against Italy or in a warm-up game only tells you so much. On the other hand though, given the depth Ireland have in the back three at the moment, why shoehorn a 12 in as full back when there are at least three really promising stand-ins for Kearney who could use minutes there instead?

I really doubt that Henshaw is going to excel at 15 to the point where that becomes his main position, and if Kearney was to go down before a massive world cup game, I doubt Henshaw will be moving position to cover for him. And regardless, I don't think he should.

The MailOnline are reporting the below starting XV for tomorrow..

Daly, Nowell, Slade, Tuilagi, May, Farrell, Youngs; M Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Wilson, B Vunipola, Curry.

If that's the case, I can't see us re-writing history in Dublin...

Daly, Nowell, Slade, Tuilagi, May, Farrell, Youngs; M Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Wilson, B Vunipola, Curry.

I don't trust the Mail at all, but please please let this be true. I really rate Daly but picking him at fullback against Sexton and Murray is a whole next level of playing into the oppositions hands. Wouldn't be scared of that midfield either.

England have a definite chance but that's a team designed not to take it.

Telegraph saying the same. Daly must have something on Jones, neither his club nor recent international form warrants his selection, especially at 15.

Hopefully it's a coordinated misinformation campaign.

Oh ****

Latest posts