• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

Trust the process!

I'll no doubt regret saying this but I don't think this is bad as people are saying.
I wasn't looking forward to seeing the entire Irish pack target Ford so I'm alright with Farrell at 10 rather than 12.

So then it's like, use Tuilagi in the same way as Te'o and even if he doesn't manage any of the exciting stuff we came to know Tuilagi for, he'll still be more effective than we way we use Te'o off linrout ball for a solid 1 meter each time.... Presumably Tuilagi and Slade will vary positions anyway.

It's not that I feel like things will definitely go super well, more like given our options I'm ok with seeing us try something.

Daly at 15/anywhere is flat out wrong though

All i can think with daly over brown is that he is a known quantity, you know what you are getting, you know he will deal with the high balls and be solid, but what do we learn, what if he gets injured pre world cup, we need to see how daly handles the best kickers in the world and arguably the best form team in the world.

Watson is an option as is nowell but we havnt got time nor enough games to experiement with multiple players at 15. Daly is not there yet but he does have potential and needs to be first choice for a while. Even if he is not the best option right now.

All i can think with daly over brown is that he is a known quantity, you know what you are getting, you know he will deal with the high balls and be solid, but what do we learn, what if he gets injured pre world cup, we need to see how daly handles the best kickers in the world and arguably the best form team in the world.

Watson is an option as is nowell but we havnt got time nor enough games to experiement with multiple players at 15. Daly is not there yet but he does have potential and needs to be first choice for a while. Even if he is not the best option right now.

The last time Tuilagi started a Six Nations game was 2013

Mental.

Also we beat Ireland in Dublin that year, with Farrell starting at 10.

Christ, looking at that England side, it was a mess.
Mike Brown on the wing.
Twelvetrees/Barritt midfield (vs Darcy/BOD)
Haskell, Robshaw, Wood backrow

The last time Tuilagi started a Six Nations game was 2013

Mental.

Also we beat Ireland in Dublin that year, with Farrell starting at 10.

Christ, looking at that England side, it was a mess.
Mike Brown on the wing.
Twelvetrees/Barritt midfield (vs Darcy/BOD)
Haskell, Robshaw, Wood backrow
vs 2013 O'Gara and Kidney. Thems was dark days indeed!

Delighted to see Van Der Flier picked. Absolutely the right decision and he should be first choice for Ireland. It'll be interesting to see how Henshaw works out. I suppose we need to experiment against the weak teams like England early in competition.:D:D;)

I think we're better in most positions and we're at home, we should win. The concerns would be Henshaw not having played fullback in years and Murray's form. If Healy goes off early then we're doomed as well. I understand the reasoning behind picking Kilcoyne based off form, but it can't change the fact that at the end of the day he's nothing more than a decent player. To be fair though his carrying could be very useful in the closing stages and McGrath wouldn't be offering that.

Delighted to see Van Der Flier picked. Absolutely the right decision and he should be first choice for Ireland. It'll be interesting to see how Henshaw works out. I suppose we need to experiment against the weak teams like England early in competition.:D:D;)

I think we're better in most positions and we're at home, we should win. The concerns would be Henshaw not having played fullback in years and Murray's form. If Healy goes off early then we're doomed as well. I understand the reasoning behind picking Kilcoyne based off form, but it can't change the fact that at the end of the day he's nothing more than a decent player. To be fair though his carrying could be very useful in the closing stages and McGrath wouldn't be offering that.
I think if Joe was selecting a RWC QF team with the exact same dilemmas we'd have McGrath and Kearney. Its a calculated risk to build depth where he has the excuse of lack of fitness in my opinion.

Could not agree more to be fair to him he has been trying to hard for Wasps in a struggling injury strucken team and trying to find his feet in a different position on the international stage of anyone can pull it out the bag it is him.

I think if Joe was selecting a RWC QF team with the exact same dilemmas we'd have McGrath and Kearney. Its a calculated risk to build depth where he has the excuse of lack of fitness in my opinion.
I think McGrath has been dropped for having no form since injury and Lions.
Kearney can go 2 ways. 1 as you say he will be back in. Other way is if Henshaw suceeds then it will be his way of getting 3 lads, all too god not to start, on to field.
On Kilcoyne bit though. Not just Munster bias but when you look at form. He's been excellent at scrum time and carrying. And most Leinster fans I've seen agree 100% that he deserves his spot.
And also say if Jack McGrath doesn't pick it up he will move down again in depth chart at Leinster that he has been on a drop of form for long time. Amd this was evident when Leo dropped him from 23 for Toulouse game and made it clear it was a tactical and not injury driven selection.
On Kearney. It's a mixture of no gametime, iffy form and well alternative view with RWC in mind.

Elliot Daly vs Robbie Henshaw
Jonny May vs Keith Earls
Henry Slade vs Garry Ringrose
Manu Tuiagi vs Bundee Aki
Jack Nowell vs Jacob Stockdale
Owen Farrell vs Johnathan Sexton
Ben Youngs vs Conor Murray

Mako Vunipola vs Cian Healy
Jamie George vs Rory Best
Kyle Sinckler vs Tadhg Furlong
Maro Itoje vs Devin Toner
George Kruis vs James Ryan
Mark Wilson vs Peter O'Mahony
Tom Curry vs John Van Der Flier
Billy Vunipola vs CJ Stander

When I compare across the teams, I see very few Englishmen I'd select in my composite team... A few tight calls, but can't see one where I'd definitely pick white over green. If Big BV had played a bit more, I'd likely take him , but other than that.

6 for me.

May, tuilagi (when not injured), Mako, George, Itoje, Billy

I think McGrath has been dropped for having no form since injury and Lions.
Kearney can go 2 ways. 1 as you say he will be back in. Other way is if Henshaw suceeds then it will be his way of getting 3 lads, all too god not to start, on to field.
On Kilcoyne bit though. Not just Munster bias but when you look at form. He's been excellent at scrum time and carrying. And most Leinster fans I've seen agree 100% that he deserves his spot.
And also say if Jack McGrath doesn't pick it up he will move down again in depth chart at Leinster that he has been on a drop of form for long time. Amd this was evident when Leo dropped him from 23 for Toulouse game and made it clear it was a tactical and not injury driven selection.
On Kearney. It's a mixture of no gametime, iffy form and well alternative view with RWC in mind.

McGrath started the week after against Wasps though...

Neither McGrath and Kearney are 100% fit/ didn't train in Portugal which ultimately counted against them.

McGrath started the week after against Wasps though...

Neither McGrath and Kearney are 100% fit/ didn't train in Portugal which ultimately counted against them.
But un a game that realistically wasn't important. Kearney was injured. McGrath was dropped for Toulouse game as he wasn't up to form of others. That was Cullens words. Maybe it was a case of IRFU saying for him to start against Wasps. And then between that game and last week mixed with Kilcoyne form Schmidt picked the much better man on form over last 12 month's. Again I rate McGrath when on form but sadly he hasn't been good enough lately and is living off being a Lion. Yes he can be back to that level and has had injury issues. But lets not sugar coat it he hasnt been international standard since Lions be it due to injuries, loss of form or whatever. Maybe this will kick start him but as I said many Leinster people feel he will be feeling a challenge from lads behind him. Neither was ever starting and bench spot was always the best available. It has nothing to do with injuries to be honest.
Kearney missed out on bench as he starts or isn't in 23. And well versatility is always a requirement of 23 shirt.

These are facts.

But un a game that realistically wasn't important. Kearney was injured. McGrath was dropped for Toulouse game as he wasn't up to form of others. That was Cullens words. Maybe it was a case of IRFU saying for him to start against Wasps. And then between that game and last week mixed with Kilcoyne form Schmidt picked the much better man on form over last 12 month's. Again I rate McGrath when on form but sadly he hasn't been good enough lately and is living off being a Lion. Yes he can be back to that level and has had injury issues. But lets not sugar coat it he hasnt been international standard since Lions be it due to injuries, loss of form or whatever. Maybe this will kick start him but as I said many Leinster people feel he will be feeling a challenge from lads behind him. Neither was ever starting and bench spot was always the best available. It has nothing to do with injuries to be honest.
Kearney missed out on bench as he starts or isn't in 23. And well versatility is always a requirement of 23 shirt.

These are facts.
No they're not facts... They're absolutely your opinions, I disagree with most of them.

Wasps was a must win away game in Europe, find me any coach that takes that for granted. You're overstating McGrath's bad form, he's had a strong season just isn't up to Healy's level. Cullen said very little about McGrath's non selection, he did sit out at least one training session that week.

I agree Kearney is 15 or nothing, I reckon he'll be 15 for three games this tournament if fit too.

No they're not facts... They're absolutely your opinions, I disagree with most of them.

Wasps was a must win away game in Europe, find me any coach that takes that for granted. You're overstating McGrath's bad form, he's had a strong season just isn't up to Healy's level. Cullen said very little about McGrath's non selection, he did sit out at least one training session that week.

I agree Kearney is 15 or nothing, I reckon he'll be 15 for three games this tournament if fit too.
Leinster were 99% true. Against a poor Wasps team. That is a fact. It wasn't taken for granted but Leinster had about a 70% string team out and walked that game.
Leo Cullen stated Jack McGrath was not selected due to form of others for that game. Fact.
He has been off form and that is a fact.

If you don't agree fair enough. Bit many in Leinster are saying opposite too. If Schmidts only reason was lack of games he would have him on bench to get him up to speed as unlike 15 depth is there at prop and well all 6 front rows will be vital.
And I'm not overstating McGraths form. He hasn't been playing like a drain but equally there has been 3 of not 4 in Ireland who have outplayed him 100% these last 12months.

Didn't realize it was that long ago.

Even more mental is that England haven't scored a try in Dublin since 2011.

You say mental, but it's actually only 3 games. Especially as Ireland have made defence one of their strongest aspects it isn't actually too surprising.

I can see England in the game until about 60 mins and then running out of steam. Henshaw at fullback for me is a great option for Ireland. He is good in the air and is a better tackler than kearney. He started his career at Connacht at 15 and played there regularly and will link up well in that position. Only thing I would worry about is fitness but we have Larmour for last 15 mins if needed.

I'm looking forward to the physical contest between Tuilagi and Aki.
Ireland will win this in the line out and scrum, bore the **** out of England keeping the ball tight at the rucks and win comfortably.

Leinster were 99% true. Against a poor Wasps team. That is a fact. It wasn't taken for granted but Leinster had about a 70% string team out and walked that game.
Leo Cullen stated Jack McGrath was not selected due to form of others for that game. Fact.
He has been off form and that is a fact.

If you don't agree fair enough. Bit many in Leinster are saying opposite too. If Schmidts only reason was lack of games he would have him on bench to get him up to speed as unlike 15 depth is there at prop and well all 6 front rows will be vital.
And I'm not overstating McGraths form. He hasn't been playing like a drain but equally there has been 3 of not 4 in Ireland who have outplayed him 100% these last 12months.
You're fast and loose with the word fact pal!

Latest posts