• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs France (10/03/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Ireland.png
VS
France.png

Aviva Stadium
15:00, 10/03/2019

Brunel's still finding out about the players actual position. He hasn't got to 15 yet.

What? Has France lost the random number generator they use to select players? It will be interesting to see this French team against an organised team, while Scotland were pretty poor two weeks ago Ireland haven't be playing at their potential either.

I actually think that French selection could do a number on Ireland here. Irish morale has not recovered and they give the appearance of just playing out time.

The legend that is Squidge attributed French success against Scotland to ripping up Brunel's gameplan, but I think that is selling Brunel short. His selections and tactics aren't always conservative.

I'm worried about this one. No matter how the two teams are doing we always do worse against France than we should. I also think that's a plenty dangerous team they've selected. Lots of young guys who you could build a great team out of but half of them will probably disappear for a few years knowing French rugby.

Expect Marmion to be straight into the 23.

If it was in France then I would think France would have a decent chance. Can't see them going to Dublin and turning over ireland though.

I don't know if France can get the easy tries you need to beat us.

Presumably we'll have Henshaw and Ringrose back which really means that France have to go around us like England did. Unlike that game we have the faster backline in the positions where pace is a really important asset in that battle, namely 11-14.

I suspect a game similar to the win v Argentina in the Autumn, that's an improvement on at least two of the previous three games and hopefully a platform to launch a big win in Cardiff.

View attachment 7086

Nothing much to worry about IF we start playing reasonably well again.
No Fofana no Teddy Thomas both fit. Brunel is losing it.
The Scottish win was down to the Toulouse players doing what they do with their club. Brunel can't take any credit for it.
He's plunked Bastareaud in the middle of a pacey backline just to cancel it all - while leaving out Fofana and ignoring Vakatawa who are world class and available.

Bench is muck. Falgoux Willemse Belleau?! creep show.

The legend that is Squidge attributed French success against Scotland to ripping up Brunel's gameplan, but I think that is selling Brunel short. His selections and tactics aren't always conservative.
The gap in coaching standards between Brunel and our best clubs is like the Grand Canyon.

My XV with the players currently available:

Baille Chat Bamba
Lambey Iturria
Macalou Picamoles Aldritt
Dupont N'Tamack
Fofana Fickou or Vakatawa
Thomas Ramos Penaud

Bench: Bourgarit Poirot Vahaamahina Gomes Sa Lauret Iribaren Lopez Fickou or Vakatawa

This is getting to the stage when anyone in this country can pick a better XV with the players not selected.

I don't know if France can get the easy tries you need to beat us.

Presumably we'll have Henshaw and Ringrose back which really means that France have to go around us like England did. Unlike that game we have the faster backline in the positions where pace is a really important asset in that battle, namely 11-14.

I suspect a game similar to the win v Argentina in the Autumn, that's an improvement on at least two of the previous three games and hopefully a platform to launch a big win in Cardiff.

Doesn't sound like we'll have Henshaw. He's 'improving more slowly than hoped'.

If we have Ringrose I think we'll win, and probably comfortably, without I think it's going to be another painful watch for Irish fans. I'd like to see something like

Healy
Best (biggest winner from last week really)
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
Beirne (POM deserves a rest)
Vdf
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki (I'd prefer Henshaw but apparently he's unlikely)
Ringrose (yay)
Earls (I'd like to see us try another winger, hopefully Larmour, but the back three actually worked well in the last two games and messing with it would be a bad move, especially against France)
Kearney

Cronin
Kilcoyne
Porter (I've seen one or two calls for Ryan that I don't get at all)
Leavy (we need to get him on the pitch if he's fit)
SOB (otherwise O'Mahony)
Cooney/Marmion (has looked really good for Connacht and is really good off the bench don't mind either way though)
Carbery/Carty
Larmour

I don't think SOB is an international starter anymore, but he's a more or less perfect 20, which I think Leinster worked out earlier than Ireland. He covers all three positions to a high standard, he brings a big impact and his reputation is a psychological factor if he's coming with 20 minutes to go.

So Leavy and Henshaw ruled out and rumours are Henshaw healing slow but injury is not as good as first hoped.

Sean O'Brien and Cronin are the rumoured 2 hung out to dry.

My guess is

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Beirne
5. Ryan
6. POM
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Ringrose
14. Earls
15. Kearney

16. Scannell
17. Kilcoyne
18. Toss up. Porter playing poorly but so is Ryan. Ryan may get it due to form of his Munster frontrow colleagues just to keep provincal combo but either way
19. Henderson
20. Ruddock
21. Marmion
22. Joey in a battle so Carty
23. Have heard Conway is really going up in Joes eyes. Larmour has suffered badly in his defence is word from camp. Can't see Chris Farrell as he isn't versatile. Joey selection may dictate this

My guess is

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Beirne
5. Ryan
6. POM
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Ringrose
14. Earls
15. Kearney

16. Scannell
17. Kilcoyne
18. Toss up. Porter playing poorly but so is Ryan. Ryan may get it due to form of his Munster frontrow colleagues just to keep provincal combo but either way
19. Henderson
20. Ruddock
21. Marmion
22. Joey in a battle so Carty
23. Have heard Conway is really going up in Joes eyes. Larmour has suffered badly in his defence is word from camp. Can't see Chris Farrell as he isn't versatile. Joey selection may dictate this
I think Porter's poor form is a bit of a myth. He absolutely pulverized Toulouse off the bench in January, he hasn't hit those levels since but he's been far from poor. There have been mistakes here and there, but at the same time he was excellent against England and has been by and large decent for Leinster in the Pro14 since. Nothing amazing, but nothing poor except a collective scrum meltdown against Zebre (where if I remember right he was with Dooley and Bryan Byrne both of whom have been poor in the scrum this season.) And I don't see what Ryan brings, he's a better scrummager but nothing special at international level (a penalty conceded against Italy should be proof of that), and Porter is far, far superior around the park. Don't see the argument for Scannell over Cronin either, they were both poor against Italy. I'm surprised that people want Ruddock involved because he's been fairly average this season, even if we're not picking SOB I'd much prefer Murphy.

No Fofana no Teddy Thomas both fit. Brunel is losing it.
The Scottish win was down to the Toulouse players doing what they do with their club. Brunel can't take any credit for it.
He's plunked Bastareaud in the middle of a pacey backline just to cancel it all - while leaving out Fofana and ignoring Vakatawa who are world class and available.

Bench is muck. Falgoux Willemse Belleau?! creep show.

Was Teddy fit for the last game? I can understand Brunel sticking with the guys who won the last game, even if it meant keeping Teddy out. If Teddy has been match fit but excluded then that is madness.

I don't no like Fofana's distribution. He's not much better than Basteraud on that front (but is infinitely more athletic).

I'm trying to remember the last time France defeated anyone other than Italy away from home in the 6N. It must be a while?

Was Teddy fit for the last game? I can understand Brunel sticking with the guys who won the last game, even if it meant keeping Teddy out. If Teddy has been match fit but excluded then that is madness.
He's back from injury and scored a hat trick last weekend. He may not last 80 min yet at test level. But given the threat he brings with his pace it is crazy not to give him a go off the bench. Bring him on 20 or 30 minutes. He is that kind of player who can turn a game. There's no x-factor player on the bench.

I don't no like Fofana's distribution. He's not much better than Basteraud on that front (but is infinitely more athletic).
Fofana offers far more threats. Ireland will expose Basta's lack of pace. The Toulouse backs had no problem, ran rings around him in their drubbing of Toulon's 39-0. He's not a test centre. Not with Wesley and Virimi around.
Virimi Vakatawa is one of the top try scorers. I am pretty certain he would make most squads in the Top 8 (apart from NZ).
Imagine that Brunel could have Fofana, Thomas and Lopez on bench!

Latest posts