• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs France (10/03/2019)

Didn't see who it was but they stopped running, it was hardly Larmour's fault. And the one in the first half he got thrown under the bus by Murray.

He didn't stop, Larmour took off by himself, needs to be aware of his support.

Like I said earlier I need to watch that again but it looked like Murray had no choice but to pass to him by how he positioned himself. Just initial thoughts while watching live but I'll watch the game again.

To be honest I thought Kilcoyne Carty and Dillane all had very positive contributions. As did Cooney. Can't really say bench was poor. Conan too was very good
Kilcoyne and Conan (And Cooney but that's due to Murray's form) were the only one's worthy of strapping the starters boots up, and there's still no parity there. It's no use if the subs play well by their own standard when they're a massive fall off from the starter they replace.

To be honest I thought Kilcoyne Carty and Dillane all had very positive contributions. As did Cooney. Can't really say bench was poor. Conan too was very good
I wouldn't say they were poor, but overall they didn't put the same pressure on the French that the starters did.

Kilcoyne and Conan (And Cooney but that's due to Murray's form) were the only one's worthy of strapping the starters boots up, and there's still no parity there. It's no use if the subs play well by their own standard when they're a massive fall off from the starter they replace.
But they weren't really. Ryan and Scannell look safe. The game was done and performance waned but that was not their fault. Set piece stayed solid.
Dillane Cart and Conway too did nothing wrong. The ending is always a risk due to mindset more than anything.

I wouldn't say they were poor, but overall they didn't put the same pressure on the French that the starters did.
But that was never going to happen due to fact game was done. It basic mentality in a way. If we had a goal of needing a try for a BP or score difference mattering then it may have been different

But they weren't really. Ryan and Scannell look safe. The game was done and performance waned but that was not their fault. Set piece stayed solid.
Dillane Cart and Conway too did nothing wrong. The ending is always a risk due to mindset more than anything.
To simplify what I've already said, they played well by their own standards but they weren't a patch on the guys they replaced.

I can kind of understand why you'd criticise Larmour for losing the ball after a 30m run, it was terrible support regardless of one person being there or not, but it's hardly something to be massively critical of in a 22 year old with single digit starts, who had a very assured performance otherwise.

He didn't stop, Larmour took off by himself, needs to be aware of his support.

Like I said earlier I need to watch that again but it looked like Murray had no choice but to pass to him by how he positioned himself. Just initial thoughts while watching live but I'll watch the game again.
From what I saw on the replay, no one ever really offered themselves as a viable support option, I thought he was right to back himself. I think he gets put under far far more scrutiny than other players, it was the same with Stockdale last year and Ringrose the year before. Nothing people love more than to have a pop at a young back. (Which to be fair I've been guilty of myself)

To simplify what I've already said, they played well by their own standards but they weren't a patch on the guys they replaced.
But again isn't that a bit unfair as it's hard comparing when you factor in the scenarios and well I think Kilcoyne kept up level of Healy, Conan did, Cooney did.
Scannell and Ryan did at Set piece. Dillane did in open play.

From what I saw on the replay, no one ever really offered themselves as a viable support option, I thought he was right to back himself. I think he gets put under far far more scrutiny than other players, it was the same with Stockdale last year and Ringrose the year before. Nothing people love more than to have a pop at a young back. (Which to be fair I've been guilty of myself)

We'll see, he's 21 so hopefully he'll prove me wrong and push on but unfortunately I'm usually proven right.

I think Ireland will be satisfied. They looked a lot more interested than previous weeks and didn't appear to pick up any fresh injuries.

I'm going to stop defending Brunel before I make myself look even more foolish. I swear his pack barely tried for periods of that game once they saw Ireland were up for it. Clearly his awful last year at Italy was the sign of the demise of his powers.

From what I saw on the replay, no one ever really offered themselves as a viable support option, I thought he was right to back himself.

I think he ran himself down a blind alley.

Contrast with Carbery versus Scotland a couple of weeks back. Was aware of what was around, even slowed if needed, and then moved the ball.

But thats not a big issue. The elephant in the room is just how blunt we are.

Good performance overall, I'd only say Murray and Aki had poor games, everyone else was excellent. Henderson, Stander and Healy were the standouts to me. The actual scoreline is a bit disappointing and we need to be more clinical in the opp 22, especially against Wales.

The back three were very good, I thought Stockdale and Larmour had a few iffy moments but in general they all did well. Ringrose wasn't quite at his best but he showed just how vast the gulf between him and Farrell is. Aki wasn't great. Sexton looked back at his best, Murray didn't. The pack were all excellent.

For next week I'd like to see Kearney for Larmour (if fit) and Henshaw for Aki (again if fit). If Josh vdf is out, then SOB is the most likely to replace him. Leavy would be an option if fit, but I'd be reluctant to start him in with no rugby. There's always Jordi too and a Stander-O'Mahony-Conan backrow did well enough today, and coped well enough against Australia as well.

If we're serious about beating Wales I think Marmion is our best option. If we're talking about other unforced changes then maybe Beirne and Porter on the bench but Dillanne did well today.

Just watched the Larmour 1st half turnover. 100% Murray's fault. France were stretched and trying to run around the corner, Larmour stood deep to set up the three on two or skip pass (may be optimistic but James Ryan is James Ryan) and Murray flashed it across Ryan, who'd have probably gone over himself but definitely had time for a tip on, at Larmour's inside shoulder and the French had flooded his passing channel and converted him. Bizarre decision from the 9.

- Murray's pass off his left is broken, there's three distinct movements in it including a little flick of the forearm/wrist which wouldn't be taught by any coach whatsoever. It has to be compensating for some injury.

I love Toner and really want to see what Beirne can do for Ireland, but so long as we can have a semi-functioning lineout, I think Ryan and Henderson are the best options when on form.

Latest posts