• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs France (10/03/2019)

I'd say there's definitely an offield element, it makes no sense otherwise. I don't have the stats but his throwing for Leinster this year has been very good. It's not like the other options are great throwers either.

Anyway, from what we've got I'd like to see something like

Healy
Scannell (don't know of Best will be up to starting both sides of the 6-day turnaround, and it make sense to start Scannell anyway)
Furlong (wouldn't mind seeing Porter but we need)
Ryan
Henderson
Beirne
Vdf
Stander
Murray
Sexton (Carbery being injured makes this a certainty)
Stockdale
Aki (sigh)
Ringrose
Earls
Kearney

Best
Kilcoyne
Porter
Any 2 of POM, Conan and SOB
Cooney (wouldn't say no to Marmion either but given it's a fairly tight call we might as well go with the less experienced guy)
Byrne (it'll be Carty but Byrne is better imo)
Larmour
I'd say Scannell is the best thrower by a bit to be fair. But agree Cronin has had a super season in Blue but not in green. And have always said at this level Cronin is best option as a 16 by miles.

I'd say Scannell is the best thrower by a bit to be fair. But agree Cronin has had a super season in Blue but not in green. And have always said at this level Cronin is best option as a 16 by miles.
Scannell is definitely the best thrower but he has his wobbles as well. We haven't had an actual reliable thrower since Flannery.

Scannell is definitely the best thrower but he has his wobbles as well. We haven't had an actual reliable thrower since Flannery.
Has had his wobbles but is by far the best thrower. But as I said Cronin has the attributes to be best 16 in world. Have always said it at this level.

Regardless of who is injured or not Cronin will never be my starter but always my finisher at this level. And I do accept his form for Leinster has been electric this season and being honest it's rare he is off form

But as I said Cronin has the attributes to be best 16 in world. Have always said it at this level.
Regardless of who is injured or not Cronin will never be my starter but always my finisher at this level.

There is more to finishing a game than having great gas though.

What if your defending a 5m lineout with 3 mins to go. Do you really want a dodgy thrower? [Currently, our alternatives aren't much better for throwing - but if we'd a guy hitting his mark 99/100 - and was competent around the pitch - he'd be my man - even if he was the slowest member of the front row union!]

Ireland (possible XV v France): Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best (capt), Tadhg Furlong; Iain Henderson, James Ryan; Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Cummiskey's team. No chances being taken if correct.

Yeah, I cant entertain France away from home against that selection even if the Irish funk continues.

Ireland by an uninspiring 9

Ireland (possible XV v France): Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best (capt), Tadhg Furlong; Iain Henderson, James Ryan; Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Cummiskey's team. No chances being taken if correct.
That is Schmidt's style though as I said earlier in week major changes unlikely as France are our bogey team

There is more to finishing a game than having great gas though.

What if your defending a 5m lineout with 3 mins to go. Do you really want a dodgy thrower? [Currently, our alternatives aren't much better for throwing - but if we'd a guy hitting his mark 99/100 - and was competent around the pitch - he'd be my man - even if he was the slowest member of the front row union!]
But to be fair Cronin offers more than just gas. And is superb defensively too in tight areas

Famous last words but the France hoodoo is history. We've lost to them once since the game Ragerancher mentioned up there.
Yes we've lost once bit more so performance is always patchy. Not any coach or players fault just we struggle

Famous last words but the France hoodoo is history. We've lost to them once since the game Ragerancher mentioned up there.

In fairness, we almost lost to them last year and we were supposed to be world-beaters then.

At home it should be a different story. We're stronger at home and France are always weaker away. But I won't be counting any chickens just in case.

So when are Ireland announcing their team... I've gotta get my Fantasy substitutes in!

IRELAND: Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Tadhg Furlong; James Ryan, Iain Henderson; Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, David Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Ultan Dillane, Jack Conan, John Cooney, Jack Carty, Jordan Larmour.

Strong 1st XV, Funky bench.

So when are Ireland announcing their team... I've gotta get my Fantasy substitutes in!
IRELAND: Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Tadhg Furlong; James Ryan, Iain Henderson; Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, David Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Ultan Dillane, Jack Conan, John Cooney, Jack Carty, Jordan Larmour.

Strong 1st XV, Funky bench.

I'd already picked... but luckily all my selections are in.

Decided to have a look. The last time France beat the following teams away in the 6N:

England: 2005
Ireland: 2011
Scotland: 2014
Wales: 2010

That's even worse than I thought. 5 years for a remotely notable scalp away from home. You think they'd thrive away from home, not having to worry about being booed by their own fans.

Beirne offers way more than Dillane but it's whatever. I hope Beirne gets rewarded for his huge leap of faith coming home soon but obviously injury at a critical time doesn't help. Be very worried if that side can't beat France but I could almost guarantee them catching us out wide for a couple tries.
We're not likely to cruise this but if we do I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Carty. It's a pretty interesting bench.

France aren't anything to write home about but if ireland play like they did against italy, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost but it's France so who knows. Biggest problem I see is that If Sexton and Murray are having an off day again they clearly don't trust the bench to turn it around.

Beirne is much better than Dillane. Very unlucky not to be involved.

Latest posts