• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Italy vs Ireland (24/02/2019)

Good to get the bonus point but very little else to be positive about.

Fair play to Italy they had a good pretty error free performance with a very strong lineout.

Needed to get a big point difference for the slight chance of retaining the championship, oh well, this is still good preparation and experience for the WC. Staying positive. Matt Williams is such a dummy.

Yeah, thought Kilcoyne was much more deserving. Maybe Hayward too, or the Italian 9 for keeping the game entertaining.

Think Dillane did as well, Henderson showed some good as well but nothing we don't expect from him.
Dillane was good to be fair, not good enough though to convince me that Beirne, Henderson and Ryan shouldn't be out locks against France.

He had some good moments but he wasn't great and has to take responsibility for a lack of leadership as well.

We'll have to disagree, I tend to keep an eye on him during matches, did a ton of the so called "unseen" stuff all game. I agree with your point about leadership though.

Murray needs to get his strength back, he's overcompensating for something wrong in his pec/shoulder (rotator cuff or AC joint maybe?) When passing. I'd give him a rest for France.

Doubt either second row, Jordi Murphy or Andrew Conway will go to the world cup.

Very disjointed performance altogether, I'd agree with those saying Stockdale was motm, POM was fairly shocking 1st half even if he was class in the second.

Murray needs to get his strength back, he's overcompensating for something wrong in his pec/shoulder (rotator cuff or AC joint maybe?) When passing. I'd give him a rest for France.

Doubt either second row, Jordi Murphy or Andrew Conway will go to the world cup.

Very disjointed performance altogether, I'd agree with those saying Stockdale was motm, POM was fairly shocking 1st half even if he was class in the second.

He really wasn't though relative to everyone else.

He really wasn't though relative to everyone else.
I'd argue Stockdale and Kilcoyne were, Aki too for his 20 or so mins. Murray really was making the rest of his team play on hard mode though (and those three are probably the three players least likely to suffer from that) with his "lift and flick" pass.

But if you're giving motm based on who played well when we were playing well, relative to the rest of the game, POM's your boy.

That could have been interesting if Allan had his kicking boots on and we could handle restarts. Three games and -34 points speaks volumes about defensive progress. I thought-34 might have been the average over the three games, not the total. Centre partnership again seemed defensively solid compared to what has gone before. Back line are slow but can also defend.

Solid set piece, good ball handling and retention and showing some ambition to play rugby. Something to build on, and surprised that new look back row didn't get steamrolled. But for the third week running there are questionmarks about the opposition 'phoning in' their performance.

The Irish wingers were the only players in green who came to play. I think Irish fans can officially start getting concerned. Sexton muttering to himself as he came off then he kicked something. Weird that he and Murray are being made to play while seemingly nursing issues.

After this weekend Jamie Joseph will be licking his lips in Tokyo with dreams of escaping pool A and Steve Hansen will be having a sleepless night in Auckland. :p

So what a poor performance. Sexton and Murray were better but still they aren't up to form yet. Earls really was excellent stepping in to the centre but again isn't an option there.
Kilcoyne really laid down a marker for the 17 shirt and I thought POM was very good as captain.
Murray I still say is nowhere near right. Cooney looked alot sharper when he came on. Our handling was very poor too and we just seemed to be lost in the world a bit. There will be huge calls for French game.
Hooker has probably left us more confused and Cronin showed today why he is 16 at this level but not 2. Tadgh Beirne may be the big winner in 2nd row this weekend.
The backrow is very interesting next outing. Leavy may be back, Van Der Flier has been good this year and Stander or Conan may be back. Jordi probably lost a bit in the pecking order today.
In centre Ringrose is needes back. Back 3 were fine today Earls and Stockdale came out looking good.

Italy to outplay France and lose agonisingly, leaving both sets of fans dispirited.
Italy are better than expected. Hadn't seen them in a long time. They are improved under COS unlike the FFR charade under Brunel. They are more disciplined, they have a real defense in place and a backline. They do play with more cohesion. I think they shoud edge it at home if they keep their cohesion and discipline in defense.
Saying that and to put it into perspective I have no doubt a full-strength Toulouse or Leinster would take these 2 sides out any given day.

Last edited:

Latest posts