1. 2016 RBS Six Nations Rugby Table - The Rugby Forum
    Table updated after last fixture of the weekend

[2019 Six Nations] Italy vs Ireland (24/02/2019)

Discussion in '2019 Guinness Six Nations' started by TRF_Olyy, Feb 17, 2019.

1. big ginger 8

big ginger 8 Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

That break and knock on pretty much sums it up.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Stockdale getting his own back on Earls.

4. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Kilcoyne and Stockdale were probably the only players to emerge from that in credit.

5. Jockstap

Jockstap Senior Member

Needed to get a big point difference for the slight chance of retaining the championship, oh well, this is still good preparation and experience for the WC. Staying positive. Matt Williams is such a dummy.

6. g6mcg

g6mcg Senior Member

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Doncaster

Yeah, thought Kilcoyne was much more deserving. Maybe Hayward too, or the Italian 9 for keeping the game entertaining.

7. big ginger 8

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Think Dillane did as well, Henderson showed some good as well but nothing we don't expect from him.

8. Jockstap

Jockstap Senior Member

Nah watch it again, POM saved out bacon few times today.

9. FrenchFan

FrenchFan Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Italy to beat France

10. Leinster Fan

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

He had some good moments but he wasn't great and has to take responsibility for a lack of leadership as well.

11. Leinster Fan

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Dillane was good to be fair, not good enough though to convince me that Beirne, Henderson and Ryan shouldn't be out locks against France.

• Like Like x 1
  12. big ginger 8

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Are Stander/Conan supposed to be back for France?

13. Jockstap

Jockstap Senior Member

We'll have to disagree, I tend to keep an eye on him during matches, did a ton of the so called "unseen" stuff all game. I agree with your point about leadership though.

14. Leinster Fan

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I hope so, if they're not I'd go for SOB, Jordi won't cut it against France.

15. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Murray needs to get his strength back, he's overcompensating for something wrong in his pec/shoulder (rotator cuff or AC joint maybe?) When passing. I'd give him a rest for France.

Doubt either second row, Jordi Murphy or Andrew Conway will go to the world cup.

Very disjointed performance altogether, I'd agree with those saying Stockdale was motm, POM was fairly shocking 1st half even if he was class in the second.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jockstap

Jockstap Senior Member

He really wasn't though relative to everyone else.

17. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I'd argue Stockdale and Kilcoyne were, Aki too for his 20 or so mins. Murray really was making the rest of his team play on hard mode though (and those three are probably the three players least likely to suffer from that) with his "lift and flick" pass.

But if you're giving motm based on who played well when we were playing well, relative to the rest of the game, POM's your boy.

18. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose Senior Member

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

That could have been interesting if Allan had his kicking boots on and we could handle restarts. Three games and -34 points speaks volumes about defensive progress. I thought-34 might have been the average over the three games, not the total. Centre partnership again seemed defensively solid compared to what has gone before. Back line are slow but can also defend.

Solid set piece, good ball handling and retention and showing some ambition to play rugby. Something to build on, and surprised that new look back row didn't get steamrolled. But for the third week running there are questionmarks about the opposition 'phoning in' their performance.

The Irish wingers were the only players in green who came to play. I think Irish fans can officially start getting concerned. Sexton muttering to himself as he came off then he kicked something. Weird that he and Murray are being made to play while seemingly nursing issues.

After this weekend Jamie Joseph will be licking his lips in Tokyo with dreams of escaping pool A and Steve Hansen will be having a sleepless night in Auckland. :p

19. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose Senior Member

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

Italy to outplay France and lose agonisingly, leaving both sets of fans dispirited.

• Like Like x 1
  20. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

So what a poor performance. Sexton and Murray were better but still they aren't up to form yet. Earls really was excellent stepping in to the centre but again isn't an option there.
    Kilcoyne really laid down a marker for the 17 shirt and I thought POM was very good as captain.
    Murray I still say is nowhere near right. Cooney looked alot sharper when he came on. Our handling was very poor too and we just seemed to be lost in the world a bit. There will be huge calls for French game.
    Hooker has probably left us more confused and Cronin showed today why he is 16 at this level but not 2. Tadgh Beirne may be the big winner in 2nd row this weekend.
    The backrow is very interesting next outing. Leavy may be back, Van Der Flier has been good this year and Stander or Conan may be back. Jordi probably lost a bit in the pecking order today.
    In centre Ringrose is needes back. Back 3 were fine today Earls and Stockdale came out looking good.

21. FrenchFan

FrenchFan Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Italy are better than expected. Hadn’t seen them in a long time. They are improved under COS unlike the FFR charade under Brunel. They are more disciplined, they have a real defense in place and a backline. They do play with more cohesion. I think they shoud edge it at home if they keep their cohesion and discipline in defense.
    Saying that and to put it into perspective I have no doubt a full-strength Toulouse or Leinster would take these 2 sides out any given day.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!